Car possibly held hostage by garage... help! - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Scamp
Engine: 2.2 w/ a carb
Induct: N/A
1/4: 21.500

I still say check the carburetor pre warmer bolts. Mine ran like absolute crap when I left them out.
P.s. I had the same thing happen to me. Guy kept ripping me, do it wrong, charge me to fix his mistake. He figured I had a state job, must be highly paid. Now I'm broke and not even moved to to VA yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 09-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: Car possibly held hostage by garage... help!

They are trying to steal your vehicle and sell it, or the owner of the shop wants one to keep. Period. Work on your own stuff. Have friends come and help. 90% of business owners are thieves and assholes. You are in deep now. I have no idea how you will get out of this without losing it or going in debt!
post #18 of 22 Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C

I can see that this particular case enough blame to go around for both parties. What's done is done, one of life's learning lessons. However @INSATANSSEAT , to state that the vast majority of business owners are...corrupt is unfounded. Sure, there are some bad apples out there, that's true about people in general. But to paint them that way is like saying almost all soldiers want to do is kill. It's unfortunate that our society seems to have become so divisive lately. It's easy to blame someone else, it's hard to admit our own mistakes and prejudices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 Old 09-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Boostaholic

75% of shops are lying cheating thieves..

I deal with them every day on service contracts/extended warranties.

so this is founded.
INSATANSSEAT likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 PM
CHAMPION OF THE LOG

My Ride: 85 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2l sohc bored.20
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 12.550

those service contracts and extended warranties are way worse then any shop i've ever encountered, wont pay for fluids? only pay for the broken band in the trans not the rest of the overhaul? that in itself is the work of thieves.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: little mopars
Engine: 2.0 T (DSM), 2 x 2.5 TBI, 2.2 T1, 2.2 T2, 5.2 Mag

Any half decent shop would have offered an estimate and would contact the owner as soon as it's obvious that the estimate won't be met (at least within 10% or so). Get approval for more money or push it out. Frankly, most decent shops wouldn't even take on a job like this. Too much to go wrong on a car that old, too hard to find parts, liability if homemade parts fail (rack bushings) or even remotely related to a failure. Any real shop would have wanted money up front if they expected a bill anywhere near $8000. I can't imagine any shop owner getting that deep in a car, even if it was newer and more valuable. Something is fishy or the shop just sucks. If you a person has an interest in restoring/modifiying cars, they better learn to do some work themselves. As far as all shops being dishonest, I can say that many are but some are not. Many are just incompetent though, so finding one that is both competent and honest can be a challenge. Don't expect the work to be cheap if you find one that is both competent and honest because they're not making the extra money screwing people over and hiring cheap techs. Just finished fixing a buddy's van today. Had an interior water leak from evap core condensation. Tire shop wanted $1000 to replace complete HVAC assembly after already spending $500 to fix it. Problem developed after they did some related work. I did some inspection/investigation, cleaning, drilled a couple extra drain holes. Problem solved in a few hours. Crap happens all the time.
83scamp likes this.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Exactly. No shops in my town will even work on my TBI cars anymore they just tell me the car is scrap and I should get a new one. I never liked taking my cars somewhere, but when you have thirty car projects, you have to farm some shit out. Now I've been to every shop in town and every single one has lied to me, and done poor work. Is this because of their lack of enthusiasm for Chrysler FWD cars? Maybe. I now have to do ALL of my own regular maintenance, major overhaul, and paint and bodywork, on all my chrysler products, ranging from 1949 to 1989. Good thing we have a few local guys who are willing to help in exchange for parts or cars they want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page