Engine Are Mopar head gaskets available anywhere? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ILIKESHELBYS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: minivan
Engine: turbo 2.5
1/4: 0.000

Are Mopar head gaskets available anywhere?

I was trying to read the other posts but hoping for a quick link or thumbs down on the availability of the Mopar head gasket (I'm getting some pressure in my cooling system and coolant in my oil). Anything out there better than felpro, if no Mopar? What about that copper spray, does that help the job last? Tips? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 12:23 AM
CHAMPION OF THE LOG

My Ride: 85 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2l sohc bored.20
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 12.550

Re: Are Mopar head gaskets available anywhere?

depends on what mopar gasket you want, mopar did remake the 006 head gasket (for turbo 2 engines) the 005 gasket is discontinued but there were some factory style head gaskets still available (064) many have used the felpro with no issues too so that should be an option for you as well.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I have the turbo 1 mitsu (no intercooler, single cam) - which of those three you mentioned are for that? I am replacing the felpro from 5 years ago and hoped for a better product... i'll be reusing arp studs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytroy View Post
I have the turbo 1 mitsu (no intercooler, single cam) - which of those three you mentioned are for that? I am replacing the felpro from 5 years ago and hoped for a better product... i'll be reusing arp studs
The 006 is what you want. The 2.5 TI is cross drilled like the TII. But I agree with onerippinturbo2, nothing really wrong with the new Felpro's. I'm currently running one in my TI Daytona with no issues. Plus, they are readily available from Rock Auto for about $7 right now. You'll pay upwards of $80 for a Mopar.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
The 006 is what you want.
The Felpros in the past have had apparent pinching problems, that is why I was shying away. I have also replaced a couple, which may have more to do with my lacking skill. You say "New". Are they new and improved? People seem to like the Permatex copper spray a gasket...anyone?
post #6 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytroy View Post
The Felpros in the past have had apparent pinching problems, that is why I was shying away. I have also replaced a couple, which may have more to do with my lacking skill. You say "New". Are they new and improved? People seem to like the Permatex copper spray a gasket...anyone?
They improved them several years ago. Not sure when. I recently bought a couple from Rock Auto. One is in my Daytona, the other is going into a 2.5 turbo motor I'm building for my Scamp. I plan on running near 20 psi with it. I guess we'll find out the durability eventually. Truth is the composite head gasket isn't the best for our application, but since nobody does an MLS version, I guess we are stuck...

I've heard of guys using the copper spray with good results, I didn't bother on my Daytona...

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #7 of 15 Old 12-24-2016, 06:39 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Induct: Turbo

Old style of FelPro people used to have issue with.

New style of FelPro.

I ran 13.2 at 110mph with FelPro and head bolts.

As far as I know, you can only buy new style of FelPro

Copper spray is like snake oil. If both head and block's straightness are within spec, you don't need it. If the head and block are not straight, no amount of RTV will prevent leaking.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Level 4 Supporter

Mopar 5281064 is the recommended replacement head gasket for ALL 2.2 and 2.5 engines according to Chrysler. It's the new number for 005. I've never had a problem with it on either engine, crossdrilled or not.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Omni 024
Engine: I4 2.2

Hate to butt in on this but i didn't wanna start a new post for a quick question
I got a 2.5T (91 daytona) i'm running a head that isn't cross drilled can i use the felpro 9296PT gasket? i see they say it fits both turbo-n/a tbi heads but just double checking.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 11:21 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadmike View Post
Hate to butt in on this but i didn't wanna start a new post for a quick question
I got a 2.5T (91 daytona) i'm running a head that isn't cross drilled can i use the felpro 9296PT gasket? i see they say it fits both turbo-n/a tbi heads but just double checking.
FelPro would be fine.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-27-2016, 11:35 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS

Head Gasket Guide

There are two basic head gaskets used in the 2.2/2.5L SOHC family of vehicles. One being the non cross drilled style of head gasket, Mopar part number 5281064. This is the same style as the former Mopar Performance P4452005 head gasket.

The other style head gasket is the cross drilled style, Mopar part number 5281065. This is the same style as the former Mopar Performance P4452006 head gasket. The only difference between the standard production part is that the Mopar Performance version is double cross drilled. Notice in the below illustration how there is only one set of cross drilled holes (highlighted green) between the cylinders. The Mopar Performance gasket will have another set of matching holes towards the front of the block. No production vehicles came equipped with double cross drilled blocks.

Also it is important to note the location of the stem vent holes, or lack of them depending on which gasket you are looking at. You should NOT use Mopar part number 5281065 or the former Mopar Performance P4452006 head gasket on a non-cross drilled head/block engine! If you do you will have no steam vent passage because the gasket will be blocking them and you won't of course have the cross drilled holes either. Its a bad combination that will eventually result on blowing the gasket or worse from the lack of cylinder cooling.

Below is a list of head gasket part numbers for each year and engine combo. Part numbers highlighted in blue have been superseded to part number 5281064, non cross drilled style. Part numbers highlighted in red have been superseded to part number 5281065, cross drilled style.

Of interesting note is the application of the non cross drilled head gasket throughout the 1990s. Many online sources indicate cross drilled naturally aspirated blocks existed as early as 1990. The factory parts manual indicate non cross drilled head gaskets were still in use as of the 1993 model year. The factory service manual of the same model year contradicts this by omitting the illustration of the non cross drilled gasket.

Additionally, the factory parts manual lists the wrong application of the cross drilled head gasket in 1987. The above chart has been corrected to show that 1987 "EDR" code engines use head gasket part number 4387837.
nvysion likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
They improved them several years ago. Not sure when. I recently bought a couple from Rock Auto. One is in my Daytona, the other is going into a 2.5 turbo motor I'm building for my Scamp. I plan on running near 20 psi with it. I guess we'll find out the durability eventually. Truth is the composite head gasket isn't the best for our application, but since nobody does an MLS version, I guess we are stuck...

I've heard of guys using the copper spray with good results, I didn't bother on my Daytona...
I have a Cometic MLS on my [email protected] for several years.

Cometic Gasket - Dodge 1982-1990 2.2L/1986-1995 2.5L SOHC .027" MLS Cylinder Head Gasket, 89.5mm Gasket Bore. Each

Other thickness' are also available.

I also have 2 005 gaskets I'd take $35 each shipped.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Daytonas View Post
I have a Cometic MLS on my [email protected] for several years.

Cometic Gasket - Dodge 1982-1990 2.2L/1986-1995 2.5L SOHC .027" MLS Cylinder Head Gasket, 89.5mm Gasket Bore. Each

Other thickness' are also available.

I also have 2 005 gaskets I'd take $35 each shipped.

You learn something new every day... I didn't realize they made those.... Sure are proud of them, aren't they???

Of course, I have heard the new Mopar composite gaskets are going for near $80, so Cometic's price isn't that bad...
post #14 of 15 Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: '91 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L TI

Here is a guide I wrote about head gasket choices:

General Chrysler Information: Head Gasket Guide

It is important to note that there are three styles of head gaskets. They are cross drilled, non cross drilled, and the aftermarket universal style. It is important to choose the right kind for your vehicle.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS

This is a great guide. Thanks for posting that up for the community to use.

General Chrysler Information: Head Gasket Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page