Can Not Fix AC Leak. - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 89 DaytonShelby TII
Engine: 2.2 Turbo FMIC
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Can Not Fix AC Leak.

Ok I have a 86 Daytona T1. I replaced gasket through out system and the only place I seem to be having problems is at the front side of dryer.
It just wont seat right for some reason . I vac on it and it held at 30 but when I proceeded to put Freon in. It started leaking at the block that is bolted to the forward side of dryer.. I took old line of of my junk Daytona and it had an extra gasket slid in there. It looked to be the bolt hole part of a thermostat gasket.
Is this a common Issue with these AC system?. Is there a fix ?
I should also note that the the system worked but would leak down after time.

You can tune a Tona but you cant tune a fish !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Re: Can Not Fix AC Leak.

I personally have not had any trouble with the receiver/Drier leaking at the gasket but I do recall seeing several guys bit^h about how prone they are to leaking. I know for sure that the gaskets can not and should never be reused, no matter how awesome and excellent they look. From the experience of others, I have seen gaskets that were re-used and look fantastic leak like a screen door. OEM lines have a steel fitting on the end. The more recent aftermarket replacement lines, even though they are now barrier hose and R134 compatible, their ends are aluminum and I feel that they just wont hold up like a steel line fitting would. The top of the R/D is steels, as are the threads, it's a grade 8 nut and the bolt should also be grade 8, so they can be tightened pretty tight, I'm not sure if over tightening them is possible or if it might cause the fitting to warp.

Now one thing I have seen is the pipe that protrudes from the fitting being too long, not allowing the flat portion of the fitting to fully seat in the R/D. When that happens, it will never get a good seal. I suggest checking to confirm that if there is some pipe protruding from the bottom of your AC line fitting, that it is not tool long to allow the fitting to seal against the new R/D.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Level 3 Supporter

Failed to mention that I had that problem with first new RD. To make sure it was not the line(the line is after market) I fitted it to old RD and It fit just fine. I got another RD and it looks to fit but I guess even a nano inch to long can cause a problem. Can I bake old dryer to refresh LOL. I am now on my second RD ( two different brands but could still be the same) Im thinking about using old RD at least to see if I can stop the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Naturally Aspirated

I think I got a 4 Seasons from Rock auto for $12, the autoparts stores has them for like $20-$25. I'm not so sure about baking out a old one to be able to reuse it. They do get filled with metal particles from the compressor as well as other contaminants that fall out from the old gas and oil especially if the car sits for long periods of time and if there is any moisture in the lines/low on freon.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Level 3 Supporter

I have a 4 seasons Im using now. I have the old line off other car. Is it possible to reuse it. It of course has the other canister inline. Not sure if that would be a F.O.D issue.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 1992 Daytona R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII

Garage

Of course you are never supposed to reuse any RD, but it's 30 year old car. Why not? As long as you didn't experience compressor failure. As far as the baking thing, I have done it on several vehicles. One was about ten years ago and it's still fine.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

The reason for replacing a drier or accumulator is that the desiccant bag becomes saturated when open to outside air for 30 minutes either due to a leak or the system being opened for service and this may cause it to rupture spreading desiccant throughout the system.
FFEMTC likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Level 3 Supporter

So I shall not usu old Dryer. What about the original line with the other canister like thing on it. Gezzzz I sound so ignorant when I put it like that..... But I do lack the knowledge sooo.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-03-2017, 09:10 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

The other canister like thing in the line is a muffler to deaden sound of the refrigerant being pumped through the lines, it has no other function.

I also have to tell you that I replaced my compressor back in 97 under warranty and had the system open again 3 years ago to replace the compressor hose assembly gaskets that were leaking but I am still using the 27 year old OE drier so you decide...
post #10 of 18 Old 08-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Boostaholic

I had this exact problem with the last Daytona I serviced - leaked at the drier where it meets the forward A/C line. The way I finally fixed it was to unbolt the drier from the fender, bolt up both hoses (with new, lubed metal gaskets), and then carefully bolt the drier back to the fender without flexing the hose. It held vacuum fine and charged fine without leaking.
These have only one stud and nut, not centered in the mating block, so when you tighten them up, the mating surfaces tend to tilt away from each other. Connecting them with the drier unmounted from the fender minimizes the movement.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Level 3 Supporter

UPDATE.
I seemed to have fixed leak. Applied new gasket with some high vac grease . It held a vac and is now blowing cold but not more that 15 to 20 deg. difference from out side air. Putting gauges one it again when my buddy gets off work . And Ill see whats up . Thanks for the help so far guys !
post #12 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89TonaVa View Post
UPDATE.
I seemed to have fixed leak. Applied new gasket with some high vac grease . It held a vac and is now blowing cold but not more that 15 to 20 deg. difference from out side air. Putting gauges one it again when my buddy gets off work . And Ill see whats up . Thanks for the help so far guys !
You'll need an adapter for the high side, Chrysler throws you a curve on that fitting being smaller than most other cars. Well...unless you switched to R134 that is.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 10:46 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
You'll need an adapter for the high side, Chrysler throws you a curve on that fitting being smaller than most other cars. Well...unless you switched to R134 that is.
Chrysler did not throw a curve...
The high side is smaller than the low side due to government mandates because DIYers who were going to Pep Boy's and other stores like that back in the 60's/early 70's and buying 16 oz cans of refrigerant where hooking up to the high side and blowing themselves up in the parking lot.
ALL R-12 systems are made that way and they are opposite on R134A where the low side is smaller than the high side.
FFEMTC likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Level 3 Supporter

It has the adapter. It was one of the few leaks the system had that i had to fix.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-09-2017, 05:28 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1986 Omni GLHS

Garage

Just give up and pull it all off. It robs power and who needs AC.

Who cares if it's 110 in the cab. You want that extra power. You will get like 50 hp or sumtin like that. Merica

Last edited by ratrace427; 08-09-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page