Windshield Wiper Problems - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 Caravan Sport
Engine: 2.5 turbo
1/4: 0.000

Smile Windshield Wiper Problems

Hi guys, I'm back, how you all doin? I have a problem with wipers. First I had a new steering column put in. After that I noticed I only had high speed on my wipers. It goes so fast it hits the bottom of body and clangs, actually broke off pin that holds wiper on. So, I got a new arm, but it also keeps going out of alignment on drivers side. Eventually it will come off winshield and hit left side of car and oops there goes my wiper. So, I'm wondering, because I'm going to get a new wiper motor. But will that take care of the thing going out of sync with right side? Also, Any instructions on how I can change it. Haven't really looked it over, just thought I'd ask first. By the way, the mechanics have tried to tighten up left side a few times, stays in sync for a little while and that's it. Will motor solve all this? Thanks again for your help. 1989 Dodge Caravan Sport 2.5 turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

My Ride: 1986 LeBaron Vert
Engine: MOPAR 2.2L
Induct: Turbo

Garage
Re: Windshield Wiper Problems

Almost sounds like the wrong switch in the column, or whoever installed it crossed up the wiring.
post #3 of 44 Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

OK, so what do I do about that. It's been over 6 months since column was put in. I just thought I needed a new motor. Also, when you turn wipers off, you better hope you catch them in the down position. Cause they stop wherever they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Almost sounds like the wrong switch in the column, or whoever installed it crossed up the wiring.
+1
A wiper motor is not going to correct your issue.
Your Caravan uses an intermittent wiper control module for delay and park functions.
The car probably has the wrong wiper switch, there are different switches, with or without intermittent wipers and with or without tilt steering.
You need to find out what the steering column that was installed came from and/or install the proper switch.

As far as being out of sync, the wiper bushings on the wiper transmission are probably worn.

https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...g-install.html
post #5 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrakat View Post
OK, so what do I do about that. It's been over 6 months since column was put in. I just thought I needed a new motor. Also, when you turn wipers off, you better hope you catch them in the down position. Cause they stop wherever they are.
So the problem has been there for 6 months? I would have been right back to where the column came from when they didn't work right. NAJ is exactly correct, there are 4 different switches I know of, 2 speed non-tilt column, 2 speed tilt column, intermittent non-tilt and intermittent tilt.

On the intermittent wipers, the park circuit goes through the module as it is used for the intermittent function to make them pause at the bottom of the stroke.
post #6 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Wow, I wish I would have known that then. Just happened to find column at wreckers, cause nobody had one. When I had it installed, I did then only have high speed. The owner of the shop couldn't find my old column cause mechanic had thrown it out. I just figured i'd deal with it til I got a new wiper motor, cause I had lost my intermittent on previous one. Only had low and high. And every now and then I'd have alley mechanic by my house try to adjust wipers,cause he would say they were out of adjustment. When they got wacko (out of sync). I should have asked you guys then. You all really know your s**t. I have recently found a new shop that so far, I like. We'll see what he can do for me. Hopefully we can find switch and I'll put new bushings on. I do have tilt wheel and intermittent wipers so, I hopefully know what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for info. After all this do you think I should still change motor? Seeing I had lost intermittent on old column wiper? Thanks Again guys. Always so helpful.
post #7 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrakat View Post
Wow, I wish I would have known that then. Just happened to find column at wreckers, cause nobody had one. When I had it installed, I did then only have high speed. The owner of the shop couldn't find my old column cause mechanic had thrown it out. I just figured i'd deal with it til I got a new wiper motor, cause I had lost my intermittent on previous one. Only had low and high. And every now and then I'd have alley mechanic by my house try to adjust wipers,cause he would say they were out of adjustment. When they got wacko (out of sync). I should have asked you guys then. You all really know your s**t. I have recently found a new shop that so far, I like. We'll see what he can do for me. Hopefully we can find switch and I'll put new bushings on. I do have tilt wheel and intermittent wipers so, I hopefully know what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for info. After all this do you think I should still change motor? Seeing I had lost intermittent on old column wiper? Thanks Again guys. Always so helpful.
Your intermittent is a module near the column and the wiper switch is actually inside the top of the column. The column on these was manufactured by Saginaw Division of General Motors for Chrysler. As a result you need the GM tools to get it apart. If you remove the bottom dash cover, you can see the wiring from the column, there is a multiple plug tied to the dimmer switch and ignition switch wiring, it has a total of 25 pins (male) in the connector body, there are as many as 5 plugs going into it. The longest one has 10 pins, it is the turn signal switch connector, pin 1 is empty, the next one is an 8 pin, pins are 11-18 and 11 is empty, this is the wiper switch connection, Pin 12 is brown possibly with dots, and should have one wire going up the column and one to the intermittent module (tan plastic box) this is the wiper low speed. Pin 13 should be a red wire, this is wiper high speed. Pin 14 should be a double dark green wire, this is to motor and intermittent module. Pin 15 should be a dark blue wire, this is power for the wiper system. Pin 16 should be a plain brown wire and feeds the intermittent wiper module and washer pump (this is what runs the wipers when you wash the windshield).
Pin 17 should be a black wire and is the switch ground. Pin 18 should be a black with green stripe wire and is the intermittent module ground.

The intermittent module should have a black plug with latches on both ends, it has 8 slots, of which 6 are used, 1 is dark green, 2 is empty, 3 is brown with dashes, 4 is empty, 5 is dark green with dashes, 6 is violet, 7 is brown, 8 is white. White, violet, and dark green with dashes all go into the wiper switch harness on the column, the others all interconnect with the vehicle harness plug.

Bill Vose
1986 LeBaron convertible 2.2L turboII
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #8 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

No, Do not replace the motor at this time.

From everything you have stated it sounds as though your issue is with the wiper switch and/or intermittent wiper control module.

Since this issue has been present since the column was replaced you need to find out exactly what you have before replacing anything.

Unfortunately the wiper switch is no longer available from Mopar and does not appear to be available aftermarket, that leaves you with a salvage yard or to open a thread in the "parts wanted" section.
post #9 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I absolutely appreciate everything your saying to me. But guess what, this is beyond my capabilities. I have pretty good basic mechanical abilities but anything electronic or steering column. Forget about it. I didn't ask then because I didn't want to be a pain in the a** always asking. SO, like I said earlier, I thought I needed a new motor. By the way. what I meant by intermittent was how my wipers worked ( or should I say, should of worked) Not just low and high. I didn't think the wipers would be this involved. Learn something new every day. I will leave this up to my mechanic. But, I will definitely print out instructions you have given. I hope he's not insulted by this. Maybe, I'll just leave this on passenger seat and say I've got the whole run down on this, if needed. I hate to ask for stuff I think is petty. But, obviously I was wrong. You guys have NEVER steered me wrong. Thanks for the info and I learn something new everyday. lol
post #10 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

NAJ, I just seen your post, will do what I can. Will check on here if needed. Thanks for info. O'Reilly's told me they have to order it, special and with a freight charge. SO, maybe hopefully. We"ll see.
post #11 of 44 Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

NAJ, don't I know what I had? Tilt wheel and intermittent wiper. You're the expert, is there something else I need to know? I'm editing this cause it sounds like I'm being cocky, but believe me I'm not. What else do I need to know, cause I'm sure I don't?
post #12 of 44 Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Year/Make/Model With Tilt and Intermittent Wipers.

You got me curious so I looked up the switch on O'Reilly's site.
The only switch that is listed is for Intermittent Wipers Without Tilt.
I do not know what the difference is between the switches but I would hate to see you get the wrong one.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/lig...e/caravan?q=wi
post #13 of 44 Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Ok, I just did some research, 1989 Caravan 2.5L turbo wiper switch rock auto shows this for a non-tilt non-intermittent wiper vehicle. Funny thing, sure looks like the tilt wheel intermittent switch in my LeBaron??
1989 DODGE CARAVAN 2.5L 153cid L4 Turbocharged Wiper / Washer Switch | RockAuto

The O'reilly link brings up the exact same AC Delco switch so maybe both listings are wrong? Rock auto shows it at $66.79, O'Reilly at $89.99 so if it was me, I would order from Rock Auto.

Last edited by 85lebaront2; 10-12-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added information
post #14 of 44 Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Ok, here are some pictures for your "mechanic" The first two are of a 1989 LeBaron Coupe (J-body) tilt column w/intermittent wipers switch, the second two are a non-tilt column w/intermittent wipers, probably from an Omni or Horizon (L-body) if you and your "mechanic" can't find a good working one, or if you have a non-tilt column in the van now, maybe it would work. I also have two of the modules if that is missing.

Me, personally, I wouldn't let your "mechanic" check my oil unless I supervised him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2426.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	238802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2427.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	238810   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2428.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	238818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2429.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	238826  
post #15 of 44 Old 10-13-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

I'm not going to same mechanic anymore, found a new guy, that so far has been really decent. My problem is now I'm questioning myself on if I had intermittent wipers before new column was put in. If I did, they didn't work, but for the life of me I can't remember for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page