1986 glhs #163 - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

Re: 1986 glhs #163

Ilikeshelby’s,

My plans for the GLHS is to make it reliable. I have no intentions of improving the performance characteristics. Is the model of the walbro called a 255? I was on summits website and all the walbros are 255l units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

post #33 of 54 Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism3 View Post
Ilikeshelby’s,

My plans for the GLHS is to make it reliable. I have no intentions of improving the performance characteristics. Is the model of the walbro called a 255? I was on summits website and all the walbros are 255l units.
I appreciate you leaving your GLHS stock, but I hope you at least have the MP stage II LM in your car. The stock GLHS sloped boost curve LM was terrible! In an attempt to make the tranny survive through warranty, Shelby Automobiles really compromised the driveability on the stock GLHS vehicles. You are leaving vastly improved driveability, economy, performance, on the table by using the stock GLHS LM.
The 255 pump is the output in liters per hour, not the part #. Like Steve said, you really don't need a 255 pump if your GLHS is going to remain stock. Beware there are lots of fake Chinese Walbro pumps in the market. Buy from a reputable supplier. That is another reason why I like the Deatschwerks DW200. That NOS pump assembly mentioned earlier would be good should you be able to get it cheaper than advertised. I believe it had a make offer option. That would just be a plug and play.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Are they still selling Walbros in Denso boxes on rock auto? Both of the ones that I picked up like that still work great under boost.
post #35 of 54 Old 11-12-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Do you know then the Denso part number
post #36 of 54 Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 AM
TD Hardcore User!

Just my opinion but the 2 pumps seem to out last the single units.

There are many problematic replacement pumps is one concern.

I run a Super 60 pump in one of my cars but it isn't a direct intank fit.

It's been a great pump though for 20 yrs.

I would replace the sock and give your stock setup a try.

Thanks
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism3 View Post
Hi Randy,

What are the Pros of keeping the 2 pump system. Both pumps work, I can easily keep the Bosch pump and replace the sock and reinstall
post #37 of 54 Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Just a Update,

I finally got all the fuel parts from rockauto. I ordered a new fuel hanger assemble from a 88 or 89 omni, fuel tank and a specra sp1252 fuel pump. I just realized that the fuel pump does not fit in the new fuel hanger assembly. I take that i ordered the wrong pump as the diameters of the fuel pumps are different.
post #38 of 54 Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I tried to attach a image what im working on, but it wont attach
post #39 of 54 Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

255 pumps are larger than the 190 and OEM pumps. The turbo Dodge fuel pump installation kit should come with the needed sleeve and other bits and pieces and pigtail...
post #40 of 54 Old 12-09-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

turbo Dodge fuel pump installation kit ? Where can I purchase this
post #41 of 54 Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Well....if you buy your Walbro from someone like Cindy at FWDPerformance or Chris at turbosunleashed, it comes with it. Otherwise you have to determine what the Walbro installation kit number is and order one from wherever you can find it using Google, Bing searches maybe. I dont want to come off as being flippant here, but they only sell pumps with the needed kit and all the installation goodies as part of their turbo Dodge specific value add.

Off the top of my head, I do not know the installation kit and accessories bag number. A bit of Googling and you can probably find it...or maybe you can contact Chris or Cindy and see if they will/can make one available to you. I did not read your entire thread so I don't know where you sourced your pump or exactly what you have so the suggestion I make might not be appropriate in your case. But I do know if you got a kit from Cindy or Chris, which was probably at least suggested in a previous post, you got one of those kits with the genuine Walbro pump.

I just did a pump replacement and might actually have a spare sleeve but will have to look. Let me know if you might need this and I can snap pic for you to determine if it will help you in your current situation.
post #42 of 54 Old 12-09-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
Well....if you buy your Walbro from someone like Cindy at FWDPerformance or Chris at turbosunleashed, it comes with it. Otherwise you have to determine what the Walbro installation kit number is and order one from wherever you can find it using Google, Bing searches maybe. I dont want to come off as being flippant here, but they only sell pumps with the needed kit and all the installation goodies as part of their turbo Dodge specific value add.

Off the top of my head, I do not know the installation kit and accessories bag number. A bit of Googling and you can probably find it...or maybe you can contact Chris or Cindy and see if they will/can make one available to you. I did not read your entire thread so I don't know where you sourced your pump or exactly what you have so the suggestion I make might not be appropriate in your case. But I do know if you got a kit from Cindy or Chris, which was probably at least suggested in a previous post, you got one of those kits with the genuine Walbro pump.

I just did a pump replacement and might actually have a spare sleeve but will have to look. Let me know if you might need this and I can snap pic for you to determine if it will help you in your current situation.

1986 glhs #163-img_4322.jpg

This is what I’m working with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #43 of 54 Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 AM
Hybrid Booster

Several of us repeatedly suggested to you to buy a Walbro or a Deatschwerks pump and you buy a Spectra SP1252. Now your asking for help because it don't seem to fit. In the Rock Auto description, it says the SP1252 is for an external mounted pump! Hum, you made not the best choice... But hey it was like half the cost of a Walbro!
If you INSIST on buying fuel pump from Rock Auto, look up your choices for a 87 Charger turbo (internal single pump). It gives you some additional options not listed under an 86 Omni. Also has pictures so you can see exactly what your purchasing.
BTW as previously mentioned, the Walbro 255 and the Deatschwerks DW200 will require small mods to fit too, so if your a plug-n-play only guy, don't buy those either.

Good luck,

Todd
post #44 of 54 Old 12-10-2017, 02:45 AM
TD Hardcore User!

Hi Todd:

Can he run the 1988 Omni pump/hanger in tank and the Spectra external like the original??

Thanks
Randy
post #45 of 54 Old 12-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glhs60 View Post
Hi Todd:

Can he run the 1988 Omni pump/hanger in tank and the Spectra external like the original??

Thanks
Randy
Hi Randy,
I haven't kept real close attention to this or any other threads lately, but it seems obvious that one or both of his original pumps are bad. I've personally seen many internal pumps leak badly or fail completely. They really seem pretty pitiful for a EFI pump IMO. They sort if remind me of windshield washer pumps (lol). It's sole purpose is to prime and feed the external pump. So unless the OP can determine for sure the internal pump is good and not leaking, I wouldn't go that route.
What I HAVE done on a higher HP GLHT a long time ago, was use the TBI internal pump as the internal pump, feeding a Bosch (OEM)external pump. I was worried about the current draw on the factory harness running two 'real" pumps, so I ran separate ground and feed line to the external pump. This worked great and was very high pressure and volume. Plenty of pump for 115+ MPH traps. OP could do this, but it would be real overkill for a bone stock GLHS.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page