Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1986 Daytona Turbo Z need advise please

Engine 
2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  omzy88 
#1 ·
What's up guys I'm new to the forum just bought myself a 1986 Daytona turbo Z Carroll Shelby edition automatic with 91,000 miles on it. This car was old lady owned and when I bought it I took it out of her dirt path driveway.. it has been sitting Since 93 so long story short I knew it needed work however I put new plugs wires battery and fresh gas in it!! Tried to crank and felt like starter was locked up I hit the starter with a hammer and it freed up so now the car cranks over but will not start. I did try spraying some starter fluid down the intake and that seem to help a little bit... I really felt like it was going to start but still nothing. I turn the key to second position and it sounds like fuel pump relay from front of car under hood is kicking over but still no start!! how would I be able to take the fuel pump out from the tank without dropping the tank!! Could this be the issue ?? please someone help!! Really wanna hear this thing run!!

#2 ·
Pretty sure its the fuel pump but could be other additional issues. They tend to seize up after sitting for long periods of time. It can be taken out an new one installed without dropping the tank. I just did it to my car months ago. Do yourself a favor and get a good walbro to replace it. You'll probably never have the issue again. When you have the old one out, its prob. a good idea to try and flush out old gas and debris with a small sump pump before installing a new pump.

#3 ·
Yea I finally got a chance to take the original one out and long behold I put some power to it and it was shot!! So luckily enough I had a spare one which worked perfectly, however when putting it back I guess I didn't lock it back into place or something and it primed and shot gas everywhere!! ??? I immediately stopped everything and now I'm trying to Richard out what I missed. I believe the old gasket for the fuel pump that goes on top on unit is no good but I see that I would have to order a brand new fuel pump to get that gasket. I also checked and saw that there is another gasket for the fuel tank lock not which I believe fell out or fell in the tank when I took it off.. I thought about trying to clean the tank but to my luck I believe it was empty so I had already put fresh fuel in and judging from what came out when the pump primed I believe it was potent enough to get this motor to kick over... thank you so much for the reply and the tips I really appreciate it!?

#6 ·
Wow thanks a lot man i the second is one the the one I took off so if I reinstall does the gasket go on the tank itself or underneath the lock ring?? And can I re use the thick rubber gasket from the fuel pump assembly?? Otherwise I have to fish out a $122 for the whole one replacement fuel pump and this includes a new rubber gasket!! Thanks to all you guys for helping me out

#8 ·
And can I re use the thick rubber gasket from the fuel pump assembly?? Otherwise I have to fish out a $122 for the whole one replacement fuel pump and this includes a new rubber gasket!!!
You do not have to buy a new pump to get a new seal/gasket.
The "Thick Rubber Gasket" comes with the lock ring, they are shown in the links I posted in post #5.

There are two links and two different lock rings/seals.
One is for the fuel pump assembly and the other is for the sending unit.

#7 ·
seals always go between the tank and the part being installed into the tank
the lockring then presses the part down tight against the gasket , in turn pressing on the tank flange to create a seal

you also should be using brass or coated tools for knocking the lockring around .. to prevent making sparks with a hammer and chesiel

#9 ·
Hey NAJ thanks for the links. Unfortunately guys I'm running into another problem I took the pump that was working and put it in a bucket filled with gas I ran a line from the top to the fuel line in the back of the car I put some power to the pump while trying to crank the motor but it seems to me like gas is spitting back out into the bucket I don't know if this has anything to do with fuel pressure or maybe the actual metal gas lines of the car are gunked up… Should I buy a new fuel pump and put it in to see what happens I found one on Amazon for $75 brand new made my spectraand it also includes the lock ring and washer or should I get somebody to replace the horse metal fuel lines to rubber ???? I did move up to the engine compartment where the two in and out hoses are remove them and tried running a line from the fuel pump to this directly to try to get some gas in there but I was running into the same issue!!! Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

#12 ·
alright guys so the stress continues, i cleaned out the tank, blew out all the lines changed the fuel filter bought a new fuel pump and lock ring with gasket put it all in and when i prinmed the car, gas was leaking from the lines.... right side underneath the passenger door near the filter... (mad).. i cleaned it all up only to find rust holes in 2 out of the three lines....I roamed the internet to try and find replacement fuel lines no luck, then called different junkyards still no luck... I called a local dealer and they seemed to be able to get me the fuel vapor line but said everything else is discontinued.. Has any one ever run into this problem before.. My brother mentoned to me about just changing all of them to rubber lines?? it seems to be possible but a lot of work.. i also took it upon myself to cut a section out of the fist lines which was thinner than the other 2... thinking i can just replace that section with a small rubber fuel hose ??? any input would greatly be appreciated...

#13 ·
You can patch it with hose, just dont go crazy. If you need more than about 1' of hose in a given area just replace the hard line. You can buy steel line online or at many parts stores, just cut, bend to shape. Only use FI clamps and FI hose on the feed line. The return can use the cheaper clamps and hose. For what it's worth the feed is 5/16, the return is 1/4.

Most line can be bent easily by hand if your cautious and dont kink it. If you need a nice tight bend with no kinks, the tools are available online and at autozone, advance, or similar.

#14 ·
Both lines at the filter are 5/16.

If you make new line you have to put some type of flare the end so the clamp has something to clamp against or the hose will come off and it will leak, however...
A standard double flare may be too sharp on the edges and will/may cut/dig into the fuel line.
If you can use the flared ends that are already on your car and splice them onto the new line.
DO NOT use "Compression Fittings" to join the lines!!!

IMO if you have to replace line get 5/16" steel brake line (or Nickel/Copper which will not rust and is much easier to work with), cut and double flare both ends and use threaded unions to join the new piece to your existing fuel line.

As already stated use Fuel Injection Hose and Fuel Injection Hose Clamps.
Do not know about about where you are located but no parts suppliers (Autozone, Advance, Napa) in my area carry 14" or 5/16" Fuel Injection Hose Clamps.

I had an emergency last week where the fuel filter itself started leaking and I replaced the filter (only AZ had it in stock) and fuel line but had to use worm gear clamps because we were out of Fuel Injection Clamps.
Gonna buy a box of 20 of 1/4" and 5/16" online to resupply our stock for next time.

You can rent a tubing cutter, tubing bender and double flaring tool at AZ.

#15 ·
If I remember correctly, I used a double flaring tool to put a bead on the end of the steel line. I used the upsetting tool (the first one) to just start the bulge of the flare, stop when you have a bead that will hold the clamp.
Agree with NAJ the copper alloy tube line is much nicer to work with, you can also buy it by the foot or roll.

#17 ·
wow thank you guys soo much for all the useful information.. Naj Cuda and land.. I cut sections off original pipe that had rust holes and double clamped using rubber fuel lines in place, did this to about three sections ( i nicked the brake line too so now thats starting to leak a bit 2 smh :() but finally prepared myself to fire this bad boy up. To my dissappointment the original hoses just couldn't hold up any more and started to leak EVERYWHERE, Including the front of car so i think a whole thing front to back has to be redone.. my brother told me he knows a good mechanic down th street from his house that might be able to redo the lines for me.. Does anyone know how much something like this should/would cost?? I'm mechanically inclined but when it comes down to fuel situations id just rather take it to some one..... p.s Naj I'm actually located in morris county NJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.