Fuel Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-21-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Iím getting a faint gas smell from the gas cap on my 87 GLHS.

The tank has 5 gallons in it with Stability 360 added.

When I unscrew the gas cap, there is a lot of pressure released.

The gas cap is a new Chrysler piece.

The upper tank vent and grommet are sealed and in good shape.

The vent hose is new.

The F.I. clamps & hoses at the tank and fuel filter are new and tight.

The fuel send & return hoses at the fuel rails in the engine compartment are new and tightened.

There isnít any fuel smell anywhere but the gas cap, and only after there is a temperature rise.

Could it be the charcoal canister is clogged?

Thanks:
Jim
Jim Falco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 12-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Boostaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 23666
 
My Ride: '91 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L TI
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

The filler grommet where the filler tube goes into the gas tank is one area to check as well.
bamman is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 12-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator


 
Dr. Johny Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
 
My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 11,503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
   
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

canister could be an issue but so could the hose connecting it or the steel line running to the tank could be pluged up

with only fumes passing through it for 30 ish years it could be full of rust

take the cap off and try blowing air through the hose and line

something like a bicycle pump would work if you have no source of air

side note , years ago I had a buddy with an old volare
it would stall once in a while because the fuel pick up in the tank was clogging with junk

he would disconnect the fuel line , stick the hose from the bike pump on and pump the junk off the pick up screen
back on the road in 5 min
Dr. Johny Dodge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Boostaholic
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
 
My Ride: 86 Shelby Charger
Engine: 84 Rampage 2.2 Prospecter
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 700
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Roll over valve in top of tank stuck
moparracer 35 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Hybrid Booster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MPLS, MN
 
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

The L-body gas fill cap is suppose to release under excessive pressure or vacuum. Better make sure your fill cap is for the correct application. The L-body roll over valve and fill cap are unique to the turbo l-body. What you may be smelling is the fill cap doing it's job releasing excessive pressure. I would look at the charcoal canister, lines running to canister and to the TB, and the canister purge solenoid. My guess is either something is plugged, or the solenoid is not opening properly to purge canister.
4 L-bodies is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

I forgot to note:
I bought Permatex RTV sealant for gas and coated the filler tube grommet, & the rollover valve grommet with it.

The rollover valve looked ok, but yes it could be stuck.
Jim Falco is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
canister could be an issue but so could the hose connecting it or the steel line running to the tank could be pluged up

with only fumes passing through it for 30 ish years it could be full of rust

take the cap off and try blowing air through the hose and line

something like a bicycle pump would work if you have no source of air

side note , years ago I had a buddy with an old volare
it would stall once in a while because the fuel pick up in the tank was clogging with junk

he would disconnect the fuel line , stick the hose from the bike pump on and pump the junk off the pick up screen
back on the road in 5 min
I replaced the expanded end hose with an NOS one, so itís probably ok.
Iím thinking youíre right about the charcoal canister.
Unfortunately theyíre no longer available and I havenít found anyone making an aftermarket one yet.
We removed and cleaned out the tank a few months back, and the pump and pickup were replaced with an NOS unit several years ack, & the filter sock was also replaced a year ago.

My brother has an air pump so weíll try blowing out all three lines.
I hope it isnít the rollover valve because Iíd hate to have to remove the tank again.
Jim Falco is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 L-bodies View Post
The L-body gas fill cap is suppose to release under excessive pressure or vacuum. Better make sure your fill cap is for the correct application. The L-body roll over valve and fill cap are unique to the turbo l-body. What you may be smelling is the fill cap doing it's job releasing excessive pressure. I would look at the charcoal canister, lines running to canister and to the TB, and the canister purge solenoid. My guess is either something is plugged, or the solenoid is not opening properly to purge canister.
I replaced the solenoid pack 2 years ago with an NOS piece so hopefully itís not that.
The cap is a Chrysler part for the L24 body.
Iím going to blow out the metal line that goes from the wheel well to the firewall for the canister.

I never thought to check the line from the canister to the throttle body though....thanks!
Jim Falco is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Does anyone know if anyone makes an aftermarket charcoal canister for the L-body?
Jim Falco is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 12-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Level 2 Supporter
 
gkcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
 
My Ride: 1992 Daytona R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 1,017
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Garage
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamman View Post
The filler grommet where the filler tube goes into the gas tank is one area to check as well.
My filler grommet was rotted into several pieces. You can still get them new though.
gkcooper is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy


 
NAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
 
My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Posts: 23,820
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
       
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Just an FYI on what happened to me recently.

Over the past 8 month's or so I was smelling fuel near the back of the car and could not find anything leaking or any signs of leaks so I left it alone.

Then one day in the middle of October I filled up and when I got home (about 1/2 mile from the gas station) and got out of the car the smell of gasoline was really strong towards the back of the car.
I looked under the rear of the car and there was raw fuel dripping from the top of the tank and all over the undercarriage.

Turns out it was the rollover valve which is supposed to be a "one way valve" which it no longer was.

Luckily because of my OCD I had a Brand New Mopar Rollover Valve in my personal stock.

Fuel Smell has been gone ever since.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
NAJ is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Hybrid Booster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MPLS, MN
 
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 1,668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

If you really severely overfill your fuel tank, you can also fill the charcoal canister up with raw fuel. My buddy Quack did this with his 86 GLHS once. His was dripping fuel out the right front of the car! There is a lesson there for you MPG mileage checkers (lol). Never seen an aftermarket canister.
4 L-bodies is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator


 
Dr. Johny Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
 
My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 11,503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
   
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

while the canister is gone from the parts list it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar from a more modern era car that also would use a purge soloniod and the same line in/out hook ups

it won't be the same but something like it should work the same
instillation shouldn't be hard either as it just gets stuffed in the fender well
Dr. Johny Dodge is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 12-24-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
Just an FYI on what happened to me recently.

Over the past 8 month's or so I was smelling fuel near the back of the car and could not find anything leaking or any signs of leaks so I left it alone.

Then one day in the middle of October I filled up and when I got home (about 1/2 mile from the gas station) and got out of the car the smell of gasoline was really strong towards the back of the car.
I looked under the rear of the car and there was raw fuel dripping from the top of the tank and all over the undercarriage.

Turns out it was the rollover valve which is supposed to be a "one way valve" which it no longer was.

Luckily because of my OCD I had a Brand New Mopar Rollover Valve in my personal stock.

Fuel Smell has been gone ever since.
I tried to find a p/n for the rollover valve to replace it but couldnít.
Luckily there is no smell from underneath and no leakage anywhere near the tank, the filter, or any of the hoses.
Itís only at the gas cap itself.

Weíre going to blow out the lines and inspect all the hoses under hood this week coming up.

I havenít overfilled the tank ever, so thatís not the problem.
Iím hoping itís a clogged vapor line and not the canister itself.
Jim Falco is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 12-24-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Level 4 Supporter
 
Jim Falco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bedminster, NJ
 
My Ride: '87 GLHS #325
Engine: 2.2 135 C.I.D.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
 
Re: Gas Fumes in Warmer Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 L-bodies View Post
If you really severely overfill your fuel tank, you can also fill the charcoal canister up with raw fuel. My buddy Quack did this with his 86 GLHS once. His was dripping fuel out the right front of the car! There is a lesson there for you MPG mileage checkers (lol). Never seen an aftermarket canister.
Luckily it wasnít overfilled.
I kept the tank 3/4 full with Stabil in the earlier years of storage and now with 5 gallons of Shell V-Power Nitro+ gas with Stabil 360 mixed in.
Jim Falco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome