Hood for 83 Rampage - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigbarneycars

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Rampage Base Carb
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Hood for 83 Rampage

Found a hood for a 83 Charger/Omni but before I have it shipped across the country I'd like to confirm its fitment on
my 83 Rampage. Seems that the part numbers on the hood
changed on 4-8-83 (5218361 to 4297162), Any difference in
these? My build date is 3-28-83, Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 03:25 AM
TD Hardcore User!

Re: Hood for 83 Rampage

No Omni 4 dr hood will fit for sure.

There was a front fender/cowl change made around that time.

I don't think it affected hoods but I'm not positive.

2 head light vs 4 headlight hoods don't interchange.

Shelby Charger "raised dome" hoods fit earlier Rampages with 2 headlights.

Thanks
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAMPAGE TURBO.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	244186  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: Scamp GT

Chrysler made a running change on the L-bodys the last week of January of 1983. (the 25th) It affected the sheet metal on A- pillars, fenders, and presumably the hood where those three body parts meet. Have the seller of the hood take his vin# to his local dealership and have them run the vin for the build date.(those records are still on file) Then you'll know for sure, Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

Thanks for your input!

My present hood has holes where someone installed hood pins previously plus the underneath bracing has
become loose over the years.

My option is to buy the replacement hood, have it picked up, crated & then shipped from the Northeast to Texas
or
Have someone weld plugs in the holes and re-glue the bracing (Liquid Nails?).

Of course cost is the major factor here. At least I know my present hood works...
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by John83Rampage View Post
Thanks for your input!

My present hood has holes where someone installed hood pins previously plus the underneath bracing has
become loose over the years.

My option is to buy the replacement hood, have it picked up, crated & then shipped from the Northeast to Texas
or
Have someone weld plugs in the holes and re-glue the bracing (Liquid Nails?).

Of course cost is the major factor here. At least I know my present hood works...

The inners coming loose, is a fairly common problem on the two doors. My Scamp had the same issue. I used seam sealer to glue mine back down. But, make sure to check for cracks around the latch area on the hood. They will stress crack, start flexing, and that's when the inners pop. I'd be willing to be you have cracks if the inner is loose. Mine were tough to see, but they were there. The hood strength is night & day difference once you repair the cracks. Ask me how i know...
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

Been out working on it to replace the head and yes, there's a 2 1/2" crack on the drivers side in the bracing by
the latch as you said. Plus there's another crack where the support rod sticks into the hood.
It looks like there had been some sort of fire where the gas filter is located. Someone had rewrapped all the
wiring in that area with electrical tape plus the throttle cable and rear valve cover/head shield is slightly melted. This could have weakened the glue spots on the hood & bracing. There was no hood insulator so maybe it was ripped
out afterwards...
I've replaced the bad wiring & melted connectors. Got the idiot light working (Lord knows I need it!). A long leak
back of the valve cover has resulted in crusted oil & dirt all behind the engine. Just pulled the alternator and it
doesn't sound good when the pulley is rotated. Torn CV boots and the list goes on. Ah, but what are Sunday
afternoons for...
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John83Rampage View Post
Been out working on it to replace the head and yes, there's a 2 1/2" crack on the drivers side in the bracing by
the latch as you said. Plus there's another crack where the support rod sticks into the hood.
It looks like there had been some sort of fire where the gas filter is located. Someone had rewrapped all the
wiring in that area with electrical tape plus the throttle cable and rear valve cover/head shield is slightly melted. This could have weakened the glue spots on the hood & bracing. There was no hood insulator so maybe it was ripped
out afterwards...
I've replaced the bad wiring & melted connectors. Got the idiot light working (Lord knows I need it!). A long leak
back of the valve cover has resulted in crusted oil & dirt all behind the engine. Just pulled the alternator and it
doesn't sound good when the pulley is rotated. Torn CV boots and the list goes on. Ah, but what are Sunday
afternoons for...
A day in the life of owning a 30+ year old vehicle...

My recommendation to you is don't mess with the CV boots, just get a new pair of axles from Rock Auto. They are cheap enough, especially if you aren't going to flog it with 4000 rpm clutch drops, to be well worth just replacing them. Probably better get a set of axle seals for the trans while you are at it. Guarranteed the ones in it are dry and hard...
post #8 of 13 Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

Yes, the axles will need to be replaced. Once I saw the
torn boots I knew it. This poor Rampage was last driven by a farm boy to haul hay. He probably didn't know what metric
tools were. You should see the baling wire holding up part
of the exhaust pipe with a tin can as a connector and hose
clamps holding that on! Well, when on the farm, you just
gotta make things do!
Thanks for the tip on the seals!
post #9 of 13 Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Boostaholic

Metric tools? Fun part of the L-bodys of those years is that you don't know from one fastener to the next if it's Metric or SEA 'til you try or your memory banks kick in. What do you think '83Scamp? Do I speak the truth? lol Have fun John, we're here to help 'cuz we've all been there, Jer ... BTW, I've found that the cross brace from a Neon is the brace Mother SHOULD HAVE USED instead of that 12"er she installed on the passenger inner fender. Find one of those Neon braces your next trip to the bone yard that lay down across your core support and see how level that hood sets with it installed.....
post #10 of 13 Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
Metric tools? Fun part of the L-bodys of those years is that you don't know from one fastener to the next if it's Metric or SEA 'til you try or your memory banks kick in. What do you think '83Scamp? Do I speak the truth? lol Have fun John, we're here to help 'cuz we've all been there, Jer ... BTW, I've found that the cross brace from a Neon is the brace Mother SHOULD HAVE USED instead of that 12"er she installed on the passenger inner fender. Find one of those Neon braces your next trip to the bone yard that lay down across your core support and see how level that hood sets with it installed.....
Yep, they are an interesting mix...

I also agree on the hood prop. The Neon one will be easiest to find. I got lucky and found an 85-87 L-body prop rod for sale, and installed that. Gotta have it, especially on one like mine with the fiberglass factory scoop. That hood is HEAVY with that added. No way it would survive very long with that stupid side mounted prop.

It was funny when I mentioned the weight to another friend of mine with an L-body truck. He didn't believe me until I had him open the hood. He was shocked at how much weight that scoop adds...

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #11 of 13 Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Boostaholic

HAHAHAHAHA. Factory hood scoop aye? I know alllll about them too. I know ah guy that actually drilled 13 holes in a perfectly good hood just to mount one, lol. Stay warm Pal, Jer
83scamp likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-22-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

Good idea with the Neon hood prop. Needs something to hold it in the middle like my Mitsu bast-rd stepchild (Sebring Coupe) that I have.
Talked to my mechanic and he thinks for around $100 I can get the pin holes & cracks repaired. I better go that
route instead of gambling on a hood a 1000 miles away.
Yeah, y'all stay warm. We finally got some 60 degree weather down here, sorry!
post #13 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
Chrysler made a running change on the L-bodys the last week of January of 1983. (the 25th) It affected the sheet metal on A- pillars, fenders, and presumably the hood where those three body parts meet. Have the seller of the hood take his vin# to his local dealership and have them run the vin for the build date.(those records are still on file) Then you'll know for sure, Jer
So, is it possible to use an '84 fender ( 4 headlamp) on an '83 if the '83 was Rampage produced after Jan '83?

I own an '84 Rampage and an '83. I need a fender and door for the '83. I found an '84 fender that's cheap and an '83 fender that's priced
pretty high.

I believe the '84 door can work on the '83. Can anyone confirm
that I can use the '84 parts on the '83 - if my '83 was built after
Jan '83 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page