Overdrive my water pump - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

1/4: 0.000

Overdrive my water pump

So ive had an underdrive pulley on my Omni GLHT for years. Im running standalone engine management off that pulley. I would like to speed up the waterpump. Is anyone aware of a pulley that I could use. Anything that will match the bolt pattern.The next step would be to have an OEM pulley modified in size..
Its a reverse style pump.
Thanks
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-19-2018, 01:35 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
Engine: 2.2 TII
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 14.284

Re: Overdrive my water pump

2 questions:

Why are you running the EMS off of a belt driven pulley (especially one in the system that is known for slipping under load)?

Why would you want to overdrive the waterpump when they already have cavitation issues at higher engine RPM?

Change the location of the EMS pickup to the crankshaft pulley.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Boostaholic

Wazee's Billet Aluminum Pulleys

contact him
he is in town.
have cash. dont waste his time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

belt slippage on the underdrive pulley on the crank won't affect timing if a magnetic pick is running off a signal from that pulley

with note to the cavitation issue your best solution is probably an electric inline water pump
and a motor speed control switch
and as a bonus you can let it run after shutdown too
post #5 of 22 Old 12-19-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Thanks for the responses.
to answer Reaper1's questions. I am running the pickup wheel off of an under drive crank pulley
I would simply go back to a stock crank pulley but then I would would have to modify it with
a new crank trigger and build another adjustable mount.
The alternator is an easy fix, but I have yet to find an overdriven water pump pulley.
The water pump is designed to run at a speed in relation to the engine rpm , Ive screwed with that and suffer the low speed water pump performance as a consequence. I agree with the electric water pump solution! Just looking for ideas. Again thanks
post #6 of 22 Old 12-20-2018, 09:20 AM
TD is love, TD is life

Engine: 2.2

I showed you mine, will you show me yours?

post #7 of 22 Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWimmer View Post
Thanks for the responses.
to answer Reaper1's questions. I am running the pickup wheel off of an under drive crank pulley
I would simply go back to a stock crank pulley but then I would would have to modify it with
a new crank trigger and build another adjustable mount.
The alternator is an easy fix, but I have yet to find an overdriven water pump pulley.
The water pump is designed to run at a speed in relation to the engine rpm , Ive screwed with that and suffer the low speed water pump performance as a consequence. I agree with the electric water pump solution! Just looking for ideas. Again thanks
OK, your original post made it sound like you had the trigger wheel on the water pump pulley.

To say that if the crank slipped in relation to the pulley that was sending the crank position signal won't affect timing...umm...somebody's going to have to prove that one to me. I bet you end up with at the very least a non-running engine and at worst a pile of scrap.

I don't disagree that the drive ratios of the accessories have intent behind them, however, if you are having a cooling issue because of under driving the water pump, your cooling system has a problem. This simply shouldn't be a problem. I daily drove my Shelby Z with a UD pulley in Florida...in traffic...in summer. NEVER overheated. I DID kill the battery in traffic once by having every accessory on at the same time and the alternator wasn't charging enough to keep the battery from being drawn down at idle. I was running a PC680, so it has NO reserve. A larger battery would have lasted a bit longer.

IMHO US pulleys aren't worth it when there are other options. I'd rather have a lightweight stock sized crank pulley just to reduce rotating inertia.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-20-2018, 02:30 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Engine: 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
IMHO US pulleys aren't worth it when there are other options. I'd rather have a lightweight stock sized crank pulley just to reduce rotating inertia.
What other options?
post #9 of 22 Old 12-20-2018, 05:20 PM
TD Extreme User!

Like Dr. Johnny posted, electric water pump, manual/electric/electro-hydraulic steering. The alternator doesn't put much load on the system, especially when not charging. The A/C compressor puts no load under WOT or when off. Water pump can be replaced with electric unit. Power steering can be replaced with manual (or looped for "poor man's manual"), or if it's absolutely needed, then there's the electro-hydraulic solution or the full electric assist conversion.

One of my only reasons I used an UD pulley was to slow the accessories down while on track for less wear at higher rpm. I do road course track days and such, so 20 minute stints beating the living hell out of it. I've decided there's better options to UD pulleys.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-30-2018, 07:59 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1986 Omni GLHS

Garage

omnis have a horrible cooling fan. speeding your pump up should be done but adding a pusher fan on the driver side will also help. maybe even fix your cooling issue if you haven't already addressed the single fan setup. do you still have the ac condenser? the extra fan is definitely needed if so. I couldn't keep my engine cool at a light even with the normal pulleys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #11 of 22 Old 01-02-2019, 01:01 PM
TD Extreme User!

Don't like the cooling fan on your L-body? Got room issues? Got cooling issues? Don't want to run a pusher fan or try to fabricate a shroud for an aftermarket fan?

Look no farther than the 1990 V6 fan. Flat motor for more room, shroud is integrated and only needs slight modification to fit. Has the correct pigtail to plug into your factory harness. Moves a TON of air....

You're welcome. ;)
post #12 of 22 Old 01-07-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

All good ideas and comments. My 2.5 Omni has big aftermarket aluminum rad with modified front end, spal fan and Delta Current controller. There is a heat exchanger cooler for the air/water intercooler setup in front of the rad. I can idle all day with cool results particularly when the hood is open. At higher engine speed with low vehicle speed is where it runs hot. Once the forward car speed is up its good again. Its definitely an issue with evacuating air from under hood at those lower speeds.

I did some pressure testing under hood and on top of hood with a magnehalic gauge and now plan on venting the hood. Its not a GLHT hood on it!

I think that with the UD pulley at those speeds Im concerned with is hampering cooling. I think I will go with an electric pump. First I will vent the hood and look for improvements.

Ive had the car for 15 years and its a garage queen , I think I overbuild things but its all fun and I appreciate the responses.

Thanks Kim
post #13 of 22 Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM
TD Extreme User!

Do you have the front end blocked off so the air has no choice but to go through the heat exchangers? Do you have a lower air dam?

Just curious....
post #14 of 22 Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Yes to both questions , although I am using the original L Body air dam , not an extender S10 style version. Anyone used a FlowKooler water pump that could comment on its performance.

Thanks
post #15 of 22 Old 01-14-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

if you only want to see if there's a working difference simply raise the rear edge of the hood instead of hacking holes in it

it's an old -old school trick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page