No fuel pressure - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

No fuel pressure

I have a 85 Shelby that I’ve done some work on. It doesn’t want to start. I’ve confirmed that I have spark and both the coil and the plugs, will kick a bit with some starting fluid. I checked for fuel pressure but there is nothing not even a dribble. The pump is priming and I confirmed that the ASD relay is working by jumping it. I’ve already replaced the external pump but haven’t tested the in tank pump.

Would a in tank pump failure cause absolutely no fuel pressure is there any fuses/relays that I should also check.

I have a code 12 and code 23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Hybrid Booster

Induct: Turbo

Re: No fuel pressure

The internal pump on the L-bodies isn't much more sophisticated than your average windshield washer pump. Exaggerating a little, but not much. They hemorrhaged internally inside tank since they were new. IMO, terrible design. When they fail they pretty much just lock up. I'd get that changed out before you lose a fusible link. Aren't you tired of hearing your external pump making horrendous noise? Do yourself a favor and put in a proper Walbro or Deatschwerks pump and be done with it.
Code 23 is charge temp sensor. Completely unrelated to your fuel problem. That is the plastic sensor located on the top of your intake manifold (passenger side of center).

Todd
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Thanks for the info. Do you have a recommendation for were to order a in tank pump? Auto part stores in my area want 115$-130$ for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

To get a Walbro 190 In Tank Pump go to...

https://www.fwdperformance.com/Store...=Fuel%20System

Do not forget to change the fuel filter and check the rubber fuel lines for cracks/softness/swelling/brittleness.
If you have to replace any rubber fuel lines be sure to use the proper Fuel Injection Hose and Fuel Injection Hose Clamps. (5/16" for the Feed Lines and 1/4" for the Return Lines)
post #5 of 13 Old 08-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Hybrid Booster

If you go with the Deatschwerks pump get the Honda filter kit # 0846. I personally like the Deatschwerks pumps because they are ethanol compatible, come with 3 year warranty, and are without a doubt quieter than the Walbro. Nothing wrong with either pump. If you buy the Walbro, make sure it is from an authorized vendor or someone with a good reputation. Lots of fake Chinese knockoffs out there. If the Walbro price seems to good to be true, its probably a knockoff. The Deatschwerks guys claim to not have a problem with knockoffs yet. BTW the wiring connector is the same for both pumps. You'll need a wiring pigtail for either pump. Some kits come with them while others don't.

Todd
post #6 of 13 Old 08-03-2019, 04:14 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Engine: 2.2

I love my Deatschwerks pump, super quiet. Here is my install.
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...res-dw200.html

This is more than enough pump for most stockish turbo dodge.
https://www.deatschwerks.com/9-201-0846
post #7 of 13 Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Sorry for not posing in a while, it’s been a slow build. So I’ve replaced the fuel pump and now I’m finally getting it to turn over and idle. I was able to get the ignition timing done but every time I gave it a little gas it would die.
Checked codes and was getting code 23 and 24. Since then I replaced TPS and gave it another go but now it kicks over and gets to 1000 rpm then just dies no idle and will not stay running even if I give it some throttle. I’m pretty stumped on what to do next and would like some direction.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Hybrid Booster

We need more info to help you. What pump(s) did you install? What sending unit in fuel tank are you running? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to screw into the Schrader valve? If so, what does it read for PSI? What else did you do to vehicle? Does it have it's original head #287 , logic module, distributor, etc.
If the vehicle ran with the old TPS and doesn't run with the replacement TPS that should tell you something. Do you have a VOM and know how to use it, or a DRB II scan tool you can get your hands on?

Todd
post #9 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Basics, Basics, Basics...

Since you had fuel issues my suggestion would be to connect a fuel pressure gauge and see what fuel pressure is reading.
You can rent a fuel pressure gauge at AZ, leave a deposit on the tool and get a full refund when the tool is returned.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...diagnostic-kit

Checking Fuel Pressure
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...-93-turbo.html

Also, did the TPS code go away after replacing the TPS?
If NO, then the TPS circuit needs to be diagnosed to determine the cause.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #10 of 13 Old 09-09-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I’ve replaced the power module and the logic module, motor mounts/trans mounts, clutch, distributor cap/rotor, TPS, fuel pump external&internal.

I have a strong suspicion that the circuit for both the TPS and charge temp sensor (Codes 23, 24) are causing the issue considering that I’ve replaced the TPS and I’m still getting the codes.
I have the Chrysler service and wiring manual so I’m going to begin digging for some info.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Checking/Testing the TPS circuit is basically simple.

You have 3 wires...
1)OR/WT - 5 Volt Reference
2)OR/DB - Signal Line
3)BK/LB - Signal Return

Before doing anything be 100% sure your main controller ground is securely connected and has continuity (less than 5 ohms) to ground.
No fuel pressure-electrical-main-controller-ground-84-89.jpg

1)Using a digital voltmeter backprobe the Signal (OR/DB) and Signal Return (BK/LB) lines at the TPS/AIS 6 way connector.
No fuel pressure-electric-tps-connector-85-86.jpg
2)Turn the key to the On position.
3)What is closed throttle voltage reading?
(Normal reading should be .30 - .90 volts)

Post back and we will proceed from there.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

post #12 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Alright more info for ye mighty car gods.

Volt readings with key on throttle closed is 1.08, open 4.10. Odd.

Fuel pressure.
Key On, ASD actuated the pressure only gets to about 25-30. Fuel pump bad.
If the asd is cycled on and off it will get up to a max of 50 don’t know if that helps.

Attempted to dead head by pinching the return line but there was no jump in psi. Probably because the pump is bad.

Attempted a bleed out, the psi fell quickly maybe 2-3 min before nearly no psi.

Checked for fuel in vacuum line found none.

Finally I re-pressurized the line, key off jumper off and pinched the return and psi slowly went down. FRP good?
Repeated process but with inlet line clamped and pressure held. Fuel pump bad the

Everything points to the fuel pump being bad I mean its super noisy and sounds like it was struggling, I’m pretty sure it was failing as I tested as to would take longer and longer to pressurize and by my last test it only went to 20 psi. (Damn really regretting not getting the better intank pump, but hey failure is the best teacher).

So I’ll be looking into getting a new pump and go from there.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

FUEL PUMP
Your fuel pressure readings and noise do indicate a faulty pump, however...
Be 100% sure that there are no restrictions in the fuel feed circuit (collapsed/pinched line, clogged filter, etc) that will lower fuel pressure/volume and put a strain on the pump.

TPS CODE 24
If you clear the codes, turn the key on/off/on and the code returns then you have a hard fault and there is an issue in the circuit.
1.08 volts at closed throttle at the TPS connector is a bit high but should not set your Code 24.

You also need to check voltage at the controller to see if voltage reads the same.
(Unfortunately you cannot see exactly what the controller see's without a scanner.)
You are going to want to probe Cavity 21 of the LM Blue Connector (TPS Signal OR/DB) and Cavity 25 of the LM Red Connector (TPS Signal Return BK/LB) to read voltage.
FYI...
Very Common for corrosion to be present on the LM connectors causing poor connections and causing driveability issues and setting fault codes

LM CONNECTOR PINOUTS
No fuel pressure-85-87-lm-turbo-red.jpg

No fuel pressure-85-87-lm-turbo-blue.jpg

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in