Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1985 GLH Vacuum line replacement sizes

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GLHNSLHT2 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I recently picked up a 1985 GLH and I want to replace all the vacuum lines to factory spec (not removing egr, canister, etc). When I got the car alot of this was removed, but I want to put it back to factory specs as I plan on restoring the car.

I pickup some 3/16 and 1/4 nylon tubing, orifices, etc and started replacing some of the line per the vacuum diagram. Here are a few questions I could use some help with:

1. What size is the vacuum line from the solenoid to the wastegate? Given that it has an orifice in the line, I wasn't clear on what size vacuum line I should be using.

2. What size vacuum line for the purge solenoid to the throttle body? Can I use 3/16 line?

3. What size for the vapor canister to the throttle body? I see there is an orifice also needed there so I am unclear how it all connects together.

Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Great to hear that you want to restore the car! :smile2:

Can't help you on the first 2 questions but as far as the 3rd, I believe I used a 5/16" rubber vacuum hose from the canister to my carb. I also put in a generic clear inline fuel filter to catch any carbon particles that might be drawn from the canister to keep them, in my case, from clogging the carb.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more advice for you.

Good luck with your restore & post some pics! :grin2:

#3 ·
1)What exactly are you unclear about?
2)Are you installing a vacuum block or just replacing the current "rubber line" with new rubber line?
3)Are there any issues with the factory "plastic" vacuum lines/harness?

The majority of vacuum lines/connections are 5/32" and 7/32". (3/16" = 6/32").

You will know which goes where when 5/32" is too small or 7/32" is too big.

The orifices are in the factory line and will need to be reused, the same for any check valves.

Any questions/concerns problems Please feel free to ask

Text Diagram Plan Parallel Floor plan

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply all. I think I got what I need as far as the vacuum hose sizing is concerned based on your replies.

With regards to the wastegate solenoid, should the vacuum line to the wastegate be connected to the top, middle, or bottom of the solenoid? The way I read the vacuum diagram, the bottom solenoid connection should go both the wastegate and manifold. But in looking at one of the pictures I found on this site, it shows the top of the solenoid going to the wastegate, the middle going to the manifold, and the bottom open. Just wanted to make sure I hook it up correctly.

Thanks again for the help

#5 · (Edited)
There is one incorrect photo that keeps reappearing. I wish it could just be deleted, as it is clearly bad info. but it's on the internet so it must be right...

The correct orientation on the wastegate solenoid for your GLHT is;
The top barb is connected to manifold vacuum/pressure source.
The middle barb is connected to wastegate canister (and restrictor).
The bottom barb is the vent and must remain open. This had a foam filter on it from the factory.

So in review the other three solenoids "top" barbs are to vent (foam filters).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.