86 new Yorker cuts out when turn left - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr. Johny Dodge

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

86 new Yorker cuts out when turn left

hi I have a 86 new Yorker and every time you take off from a stop sign going left the car cuts out and almost dies . its fine going straight or turning right I can't seem to find anything that makes sense as to why it does this I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or has had this problem before ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

Re: 86 new Yorker cuts out when turn left

is it carbureted or EFI?

if carb you have a needle & seat / float issue
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

it is turbo efi its weird it runs great all except for the cutting out turning left ive checked the pdc and its not lose I can't find and grounds that might touch when you turn . could it be axel bind or possibly transmission related?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 09:08 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Welcome To TD!!!

I am moving your thread to the appropriate forum (TD Help), no problems/no worries.

1)Is the stalling when turning left the only driveabilty issue you are having?
2)Are there any fault codes stored in memory?
3)Was any work done on the vehicle before this problem existed?
4)Does the car stall turning left with a full tank of fuel as opposed to half or lower?
This would indicate a fuel tank or fuel pressure issue.
5)Check your engine mounts, excessive movement from a worn or broken mount could be pulling on a wiring harness.
In an attempt to duplicate the condition
6)With the engine running turn the steering wheel to its full left stop and slightly power brake the engine, does the engine stall?
7)Perform a "wiggle test" on all of the underhood wiring/connectors with the engine running.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

do you have tilt steering and if so can you wobble the steering wheel and head of the column around ?

if the top tilting part of the column starts to come loose at the tilt joint then the rod link from the key cylinder to the ignition switch down at the bottom of the column gets pulled - just like the key does when you turn it to off

so by turning you push / pull on the top of the column causing the cllm head to wobble enough to shut the car off...maybe

mine did it .. only in tight slow left turns like a drive through lane.

if this is your problem you need to take the top of the cllm apart and tighten the bolts at the tilt joint mechanism
NAJ likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2019, 05:35 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

Mine did it when the tank was low and the fuel pump sock had come off because the previous owner couldn't install it correctly. There were 2 floating in the tank when I pulled it.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

ive tried pulling and shaking the wires under the hood and brake torqueing it but it doesn't do it it only does it on a sharp left turn when getting on it a little bit like if your trying to pull out into traffic it does it when fuel is full or close to empty I have not checked the column it is tilt I dont remember any excessive play in the head of the coulm it felt normal but ill check again
post #8 of 8 Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Will it do it if you turn the wheel to the full left and power brake the vehicle?

If you cannot duplicate the problem then you need to start looking for obscure items that may be affected by body roll and verifying each circuit is functioning as it should.

1)Were/are there any fault codes stored?
2)Did you physically examine the ignition switch and connector for damage?
(Located at the base of the steering column)
3)You can eliminate a fuel system problem by connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the rail, tape the gauge to the windshield and go for a ride (with a helper) and make left turns until the vehicle exhibits the problem.
(You can rent a fuel pressure gauge at Autozone, it is free, just requires a deposit until you return the item)
Fuel Pressure Gauge Loan A Tool
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...kit/913437_0_0

Did fuel pressure remain in specs when the engine stalled?

Checking Fuel Pressure
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...-93-turbo.html

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page