car is backfiring at high rpms - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-28-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

1/4: 0.000

car is backfiring at high rpms

whenever i rev the car up to high it backfires. sometimes very loudly, sometimes its just like the fuel cuts out and it just jerks. I know its not the boost cut out because i have an aftermarket boost guage and im only making about 10 boost. the car is a 87 shelby z the only thing i have changed is that it has a bigger warlbro fuel pump. what would cause this problem.......please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Boostaholic

How high are you revving it? Most TD's have a rev-limiter at either ~6200rpm for 2.5s or 6650 for 2.2s. It works just like the overboost cut. Might also be an ignition miss from a problem with plugs, wires, coil, etc if you are below the rev-limiter. Could also be too rich. Not as likely for a backfire through the exhaust, but it COULD be too lean. If you have too much boost below a certain rpm (~3000rpm IIRC), and depending on ECM, it will cutout. Usually you have to run a grainger and floor it in 4th or 5th to make this happen.

In short, start eliminating things from the list above until your problem goes away.

Good luck and welcome to the world of fixing TD's.

1987 SC 2.5 intercooled [email protected]-Stock short block and many other stock parts
post #3 of 9 Old 05-28-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

im pretty sure its not hitting the rev limiter, but its kind of hard to tell since my tach when it gets over about 4k just starts going crazy all over the place, ive changed instrument clusters and the same thing happens........actually im sure its not the rev limiter because it has happened to me in 5th gear and i wasnt going that fast The one thing i forgot to mention is that it has a free flowing exhaust with no muffler that and the warlbro fuel pump are the only things done to it. Ive changed the plugs, wires, cap and roter, and coil. I looked at the plugs and they look fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-29-2004, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

ttt
post #5 of 9 Old 05-29-2004, 11:37 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 89 Spirit ES 3.0
Engine: NA 3.0
Induct: N/A

If your tach is gong mental it sounds like it could be a hall effect pickup problem
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 2004 SRT-4
Engine: 2.4 Turbo
Induct: Turbo

Just had the same problem with my car, turned out it was the SMEC,just a thought.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by 87turbodance
If your tach is gong mental it sounds like it could be a hall effect pickup problem
It's definitely an ignition problem then. Any time I've had tach problems it was the coil. Try a different ignition coil. Also make sure that the + and - connections to the coil are correct. If they are backwards the car will run like ass.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-31-2004, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

thanks ill have to try switching the coil and see if that changes anything........it makes sense it may be something with the ignition because it seems like it starts missing a little before it backfires.......
post #9 of 9 Old 05-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: '89 CSX T3/T4
Engine: 135ci
Induct: Turbo

its fuel related. i had that problem twice. once it was that my FPR was stuck at 45 psi, the other time was when my injectors were pushing out way too much fuel. check your plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page