52MM TB install Question - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1989 Shelby Daytona.
Engine: 2.2 liter turbo 2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

52MM TB install Question

I recently got my hands on a 52 MM throttle body out of a 98 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Liter. Its going on an '89 Daytona Shelby 2.2.

Questions:

My stock TB has 2 VAC ports but this 52mm has 1 port. How do still utilize this TB when it only has 1 VAC port.

When mounting the 52 mm to the stock manifold, obviously the intake opening in the manifold is stock and only flows so much air, no matter what TB you have on there. I want to port the opening of the manifold to allow more flow through the 52mm and in the manifold. Is that even necessary to do or will the 52mm flow enough air that its not necessary to port the manifold ?

For those that did this swap, Did anyone have any issues with their stock sensors swapped over to the 52 mm TB? Did it affect engine performance.?

Jesus Christ is the way, the Truth and the Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Re: 52MM TB install Question

The two ports on top are for the vapor canister. I just eliminated it on my car. You can do the same as long as you don't have to worry about emissions checks.

You will get varying opinions on porting the intake. Some say it's not worth putting a 52mm TB on unless you port, some say they see gains.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Boostaholic

1/4: 0.000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparkid2.2 View Post
I recently got my hands on a 52 MM throttle body out of a 98 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Liter. Its going on an '89 Daytona Shelby 2.2.

Congratulations

Questions:

My stock TB has 2 VAC ports but this 52mm has 1 port. How do still utilize this TB when it only has 1 VAC port.

run a T.. plug things you dont need... I hope this is something you can answer by looking at it.

When mounting the 52 mm to the stock manifold, obviously the intake opening in the manifold is stock and only flows so much air, no matter what TB you have on there. I want to port the opening of the manifold to allow more flow through the 52mm and in the manifold. Is that even necessary to do or will the 52mm flow enough air that its not necessary to port the manifold ?

I would suggest porting the intake to match the 52mm throttle body.

For those that did this swap, Did anyone have any issues with their stock sensors swapped over to the 52 mm TB?
no issues here.
Did it affect engine performance.?
None noticed.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjr3333 View Post
Originally Posted by Moparkid2.2 View Post

Congratulations

Questions:

run a T.. plug things you dont need... I hope this is something you can answer by looking at it.

!

Can't just run a T. 1 of those ports get's it's signal from in front of the TB blade and the other get's it from behind. Weird that the 3.3 only had 1 port. Every 3.3 I've noticed always had 2 ports like the turbo cars. Maybe someone swapped one off a 3.0. Maybe it somehow got a 58mm TB. Pics of your TB?

I'd go find a dual port off a 3.3 if you really want to run a 52mm TB and keep the stock vac functions.

On a 1 piece intake though you won't find a gain if any being that even after porting the neck of the TB is still smaller than a stock 46mm TB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page