Hemi Valve Stem Seals on a 2.2/2.5 Head - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: '89 Dodge Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5L | Dead
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

Re: Hemi Valve Stem Seals on a 2.2/2.5 Head

Like everything listed above, I was told multiple times by a bunch of people that I could use HEMI valve stem seals. Then I show them the boss and they go "No, it just goes on." and I argued with them a lot of how that's physically not possible.

So I ended up using LS style ones. They seem to work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

this is the style of 'hemi' seals I had installed:

post #18 of 34 Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockSyno View Post
Like everything listed above, I was told multiple times by a bunch of people that I could use HEMI valve stem seals. Then I show them the boss and they go "No, it just goes on." and I argued with them a lot of how that's physically not possible.

So I ended up using LS style ones. They seem to work fine.
Great post. We are looking for pics and/or known part numbers that were used please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
this is the style of 'hemi' seals I had installed:

Hey Deto...thanks for the pics. Do you have part numbers or application information available on those seals please? So you have used them and they work I guess is the bottom line of your comment... If you can give me part numbers and/or application, I can get and post the specs of the different positive metal clad, metal band, and rolled spring seals that seem to work well.
post #20 of 34 Old 05-08-2018, 03:01 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 14.284

Just a quick story. When I first got my TC a couple of years ago the PO had done quite a bit of work, replaced the turbo, head was refurbished, etc. It still smoked after running for a while.

I found that the valve stem seals it had in it were wrong. They were too tight around the valve itself and I swear had a little metal band around them for the boss, but the seal was blue (nitrile?). Anyway, they would stick on the valve and pull up off of the head boss allowing oil under them and into the guide area. I replaced them with standard seals...no problems since.
post #21 of 34 Old 05-08-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
Just a quick story. When I first got my TC a couple of years ago the PO had done quite a bit of work, replaced the turbo, head was refurbished, etc. It still smoked after running for a while.

I found that the valve stem seals it had in it were wrong. They were too tight around the valve itself and I swear had a little metal band around them for the boss, but the seal was blue (nitrile?). Anyway, they would stick on the valve and pull up off of the head boss allowing oil under them and into the guide area. I replaced them with standard seals...no problems since.
Hey that is a great real world example and exactly the kind of thing that we DONT want to happen to us.. When we play musical parts trying to make things "better" for the sake of being different, we sometimes make things worse. Chrysler engineers had thousands of hours, millions of dollars, years of schooling and pretty much had things sorted out. Of course we all accept that the years has seen many improvements in technologies, materials and designs and that in the end is what we are looking for. I have all the specs for the top OD of the valve guides, the specs for the OD of the valve stem and the specs for the desired valve stem seal height, after it is installed to allow for stock and high lift cams. And to your point, if you choose a 'different' seal that was actually intended for another application, and it doesn't have the right spec (too small for the stem) then you get BS problems like them popping off anyway...which was what we were trying to prevent in the first place.

Thanks so much for sharing and for helping to confirm, that the correct part that gets the job don't is always better than 'bling' for the sake of bling.
Reaper1 likes this.
post #22 of 34 Old 05-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: '89 Dodge Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5L | Dead
Induct: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
Great post. We are looking for pics and/or known part numbers that were used please.
I'll see if I can find which kit I got. They were like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Brian-Tooley-.../dp/B00LASYPHU

I used whatever the tan colored ones are. One was too big and the other was just right.

Edit:

Found it.
https://i.imgur.com/p94C2qv.jpg

Fel-Pro SS70945
https://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/SS70945/10002/-1
post #23 of 34 Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

sry I built that head 10 years ago and bought the seals here on TD from another member that had bought a set of 16 from eBay

I can't 'search' my Private Messages to try to go back in time and review the transaction

as I recall they were 3rdGen '03-'08 (non VCT) 5.7 Hemi..
they weren't OEM bits, they were aftermarket of some kind...

AND I have since sold that head so I can't even go look at it or take pix ...

I do remember the machinist said they slid right on as intended, no mods required.

post #24 of 34 Old 05-10-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

I think that eventually this thread is going to yield some good information and already I think we've all learned something new, it's good. I did want to bring out the point that the OD of the valve guide and the OD of the valve stem are both known and consistent across all our heads UNLESS you are using over-sized guides or custom valves. So, with that being said we are talking about stock sizes here.

The company SBI is an automotive standard supplier of many engine parts. Almost any machine shop will have one of their catalogs. The beauty of the catalog is that it has every part that they make or distribute cross referenced in a variety of tables that make it easy to (for example) look up any style valve stem seal that has a valve stem hole size of .xxxx" So, you just run your finger down that column till you come to the seals in that size, or within 1-2 thousandths of an inch smaller to that size. Then you look across a column or two to find the seal on those lines that has the correct ID size to fit the OD of the valve guide. So now you have a seal that fits your application, and then you look to see if it is a positive metal clad, a high-hat style, a rubber/silicon/vitton (all rubber), style etc. Lastly, with the part number in the last column, you can look that number up and see what applications they fit. So in the end you know that the seal will fit our applications and what car/truck/tractor engines they came on and what years.

We went down the entire Chrysler selection of valve stem seal applications and every engine in the book, none, not one of the 'hemi' engine seals was a fit. I am going back by the shop again today to gather up a little more info, just wanted to share how and where this information is coming from...and where it is going to which is a list of valve stem seals that are known to fit properly, and work w/o having to do any modifications to the head.
post #25 of 34 Old 05-10-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

HERE ARE A FEW ILLUSTRATIONS THAT GIVE THE SIZES REQUIRED TO FIT OUR VALVE STEMS AND VALVE GUIDES.

An important note to make is that you do not want the rubber portion of the seal resting on the top of the valve stem guide. The constant up/down of the valve stem will pretty quickly hammer the rubber enough to break it or crack it. There needs to be some gap between the top of the valve guide and the bottom of the rubber portion of the positive metal clad seal.

What you dont want is any type of seal that doesn't fit snugly over the top of the valve guide forming a positive seal because, if it isnt sealing every time the valve opens and the piston moves down, there will be a vacuum created and the vacuum will suck engine oil past the valve stem and guide right into the engine to burn...i.e.: smoke while running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VALVE-GUIDE-1.png
Views:	192
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	248890   Click image for larger version

Name:	VALVE-GUIDE-5.png
Views:	207
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	248922  

Last edited by ILIKESHELBYS; 05-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.
post #26 of 34 Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Updated the 2nd pic for more detail on our specific 2.2 & 2.5 heads.
post #27 of 34 Old 05-12-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

MAHLE B45798A
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 53009886

THIS IS THE SEAL FOR THE 5.9 MAGNUM (LA) MOTOR BUILT FROM 1993 - 2003. THIS SEAL IS TOO SMALL FOR THE VALVE STEM AND TOO LARGE FOR THE GUIDE.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MAGNUM VALVE STEM SEALS.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	248930  
post #28 of 34 Old 05-12-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HEMI TOP HAT VALVE STEM SEAL.png
Views:	207
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	248938  
post #29 of 34 Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Naturally Aspirated

Fel-pro ss70945 {#MAHLE b45919, b45922} (REFERENCED ABOVE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A GOOD CHOICE ACORDING TO THE PUBLISHED SPECS FOR THE SEAL. IF THE SPECS I FOUND ON THE MAHLE/VICTOR REINZ SITE ARE CORRECT THIS SEAL IS TOO TIGHT ON THE STEM, AND TOO LOOSE ON THE GUIDE SO IT IS GOING TO BE VERY PRONE TO POPPING OFF AND STARVING THE VALVE & GUIDE OF OIL.

EVEN ON AN OVERSIZED GUIDE THE FIT OF THE SEAL IS GOING TO BE A BIT SLOPPY.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	247_VICTOR REINZ_B45919.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	248946   Click image for larger version

Name:	VALVE-STEM-GM-5-3 ENGINE-2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	248962  
post #30 of 34 Old 05-12-2018, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

I had one of Jegs regular spam specials emails last week with a listing that showed a seal example - that being for MAHLE cryco hemi valve seals .. 09-15

being in the flyer art there was no link to be saved sorry

I know for absolutely sure I read a "to use post" about 6-8 years ago , right here saying to use 2010 hemi (5.7) seals - not to say use these , but that I'd seen the post ..

I know I'd have saved a link to that but my 2.2 file has grown outta control ... along with the sub folders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in