Synthetic Oil question - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 01-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

Re: Synthetic Oil question

Carroll put Mobil 1 15w50 in the GLHS so it didn't have to have an oil cooler. Dodge put Mobil 1 in the Viper and my daughters Caliber SRT4. It goes in all my cars.

Have I had an oil related break down using Mobil 1??? Kinda. The previous owner of my old 87 ShelbyZ used WAY too much RTV on the oil pan. The RTV dried on the inside, fell off and then got sucked up in the pickup tube. She welded the rod bearing to the rod because it didn't have hardly any oil!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger
1/4: 0.000

up here oil is sold in litres
if you got a turbo car there used to be a small 3x3 warning card pointing out the car took 5 litres , not 4 as in the standard motor

so ok after a few years and motors and dipstick / tube combinations that may or may not actually be accurate I buy an 87 shelby z with a 2.5 dressed in all the o-e 2.2 parts

well dam , for the longest time I had an issue with the front cam seal poping out
again and again
probably 3-4 times
and yeah I even glued it in

lol turned out as I discovered ... 2.5 WITH balance shafts still only took 4 litres

5 the cam seal pops out
post #18 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 05:23 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Le Baron Ragtop
Engine: 2.2 I4 Turbo II

When I was a boy, my father told me to fill the crankcase back up to about half way between add and full on the dipstick. He thought oil needed room to expand as it got hot. I think it needs some room to foam up as it gets agitated also. It is much easier on all our seals and gaskets if you don't fill it right up to the full mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Boostaholic

just a thought.. for everyone that says blah blah blah reccomends blahblalbalbh oil..

My local NFL team recommends Rolex watches. Budweiser. Chic-fil-a. First credit union bank and the local Ford dealer.

Anyone wanna guess WHHHHHYYYYYYYY they recommend that?..

If you find that XXX recommends YYY... you should ask yourself how much did YYY pay XXX to recommend YYY..

I worked on a race team for a few seasons.. we had ACCELL Hoosier and BORLA logos on the car.. required by the class.
We ran MSD and taylor ignition stuff. Falken tires and dynomax exhaust...

Don't be too gullible out there folks.

I have acute Taurocoprophobia. Achew!
post #20 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmark1 View Post
When I was a boy, my father told me to fill the crankcase back up to about half way between add and full on the dipstick. He thought oil needed room to expand as it got hot. I think it needs some room to foam up as it gets agitated also. It is much easier on all our seals and gaskets if you don't fill it right up to the full mark.
oil does expand. that is true.
but the amount is very exaggerated.
4 quarts from 100 to 200* expands about 3 drops in size.

I've got the math some where..
post #21 of 23 Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

usually I like to be just slightly over full - to make up the difference when oil is returning to the sump and to help the sump from running dry

sustained rpm can do that sort of thing to some motors
post #22 of 23 Old 01-05-2019, 10:00 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

4.0 Qts With or Without A Filter Change.

Synthetic Oil question-img_new.jpg
post #23 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 05:21 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1986 GLH TII

My tale on why I only use synthetic oil, sorry if it's a little long winded:
In 1986 I bought a new GLHT. In '87 it began acting like it was running out of gas when I got below half a tank of gas, so I kept it at least 3/4 full (already had an appointment at the dealer to look at it). I was taking an exit ramp very quickly with the aftermarket stereo cranked, and when I stabbed the go pedal to merge I got nothing. I turned down the stereo and tried again...nothing except for the sound of a rod knock. Looked in my rear view mirror to see a cloud of blue smoke following me...oh no. I nursed it to the dealer. What happened was one of the fuel pumps quit, and when I was taking the curve the internal fuel pump was uncovered, leaning out the engine. The dealer had to replace the turbo, rebuild the bottom end, and upgrade to the '87 style fuel system. After allowing about 500 break-in miles I started using synthetic oil only with about 7500 to 8000 mile change interval. In the winter of 1990 my GLHT had over 100k miles on it, many a 1/4 mile at a time (14.95 @ 93 mph), and still ran great up until my wife (now ex) had a heater hose blew in sub zero weather. The heater core was bypassed by me while I was at work so she could make it home. She decided to do some more running around and added water to the radiator, and didn't inform me of this when I got home from work. The next morning I went out to replace the hoses, but started it up for a few minutes to get some heat under the hood (was no more than +5 degrees F). After about 2 minutes of running I saw steam rising from the rear of the engine. Looked underneath and saw a foot wide waterfall coming from the back of the engine...cracked the block...bad! In the spring I found another 2.2 Turbo engine and swapped it into my GLHT. I began stripping the original engine of usable parts (everything but the block) and when I pulled off the head I was amazed that there weren't any ridges in the tops of the bores, and I could still see the hone marks in the cylinders. The only thing that could have reduced the wear is the synthetic oil, sure wasn't my driving habits.
In 2003 I bought a 1 year old Dodge Intrepid with the notorious 2.7 V6. Once the power train was out of warranty I switched to full synthetic, with an oil change interval between 10,000 and 12,000 miles. Never had an oiling issue with it. Sold it to my daughter with about 150k on the clock, and the few years she owned it never had an oiling issue either.
A lot of times money was tight, so I didn't always buy a name brand synthetic, I would buy the cheap Walmart Super Tech full synthetic, never a problem.
chromguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page