250hp TII Build - Help - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Daytona Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2L Turbo II
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjr3333 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Do you have any speed shop that can port that cylinder head and add bigger valves?
Can you tune?
just going to note. 250HP wont require bigger valves.
many of us have made 250HP on stock valves.

wouldnt a T3/T4 hybrid be easier than a ported big valve head.
What do you mean by ported t3/t4 hybrid? Is that a turbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 02-21-2019, 10:52 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 86 S/C
Engine: 2.2 8V
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 10.040

Re: 250hp TII Build - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaakfirestar View Post
So for porting, any flow numbers on the head I should look for? For 250hp do I need to get a g head or is my swirl head sufficient? I have the 2-piece intake, is there someone in the Oregon area who's known to do a good job? I've never ported so I don't wanna ruin it and I don't wanna take it to joe blow and pay someone else to ruin it either.
If you were to bolt on a nice freshened G-head with good valve job you already have about a 15% flow increase, but it would need a good calibration to take full advantage.

A nice mild ported 782 could give you the same result on stock electronics, but where do you find a machine shop that can be trusted to even machine a mtr Correctly, never mind port a head without mucking it up :(

Quote:
So what I'm seeing is two different solutions to the problem. To go back to my intended usage of this car,
Which approach would yield more streetable power? Again, this is meant to be a street car first.
And, which approach would make the car more reliable?
I know all about the myth of fast, cheap, and reliable. What I'm not looking for is the solution that'll be reliable at my power goal. What I meant by as cheap as possible is I don't want to just throw money at it for the sake of spending money. I'd like each purchase to have a purpose in furthering me towards 250 reliable hp.
Back in the day, 9/10 wanted exactly what you are asking for. Here's what we did;

Upgrade to MP S60 SMEC or FWD stage 5, 3 bar calibration, AFPR,+40 inj's, 3 bar map and Walbro fuel pump, new fuel filter, 30psi boost gauge and AFR gauge to monitor WOT boost.(we had DRBII to monitor knock when tuning)

Obviously look everything over and make sure everything is up to date and working properly. (replace worn timing belts, dissy's ect)

Grainger turbo and dial in WOT AFR's to desired boost level. (14-25psi depending on octane)

At least 2 1/2 exhaust with 2 1/2 S/V. Some removed cat, some ran full open with cherry bomb.

That was the most simple recipe, basically an instant high 13, mid to low 14 sec car in a Daytona @ 20psi on street tires.(depending on driver and traction)

If you had an 88/89, drive in on a Friday and you would be cruising for Sunday night.....

From there some would;

Add 2 piece intake and or ported 2 piece intake with 52mm TB.

Move I/C up front out of heat of E/C or upgrade I/C at same time.

Run slightly larger hybrid turbo for more power on less boost.

Go to full 3" exhaust ect ect (the list get's bigger and pricier from there, ported heads, cam, bigger turbo's, forged internals)

I usually wouldn't recommend S60 turbo anymore, because there are just better alternatives, but most want 300+HP.

So S60 or small Enforcer bolt-on would be exactly what your looking for as any larger and you start to loose that street car appeal,

Robert Mclellan
11.33 @ 126.1mph MB's fastest SRT-4
10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.83 highest mph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wambNdfnu5M
Manitoba's fastest 4cyl!
Worlds Fastest MTX Shelby Charger
post #18 of 28 Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
I've done some reading and I see that the hybrid t3/t4 is a turbo. What a/r ratios should I look for in this application for the intake and exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 Old 02-22-2019, 10:31 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

Quote:
I've done some reading and I see that the hybrid t3/t4 is a turbo. What a/r ratios should I look for in this application for the intake and exhaust?
Yes, I didn't answer that because it was not directed at me.

Also, you had mixed up the ported part, which was head related with the turbo.

As I stated in my most recent post S60, MP+ or enforcer turbo is all I would consider for your build as they are all Bolt-ons. Gonna make more power on less boost but keep things simple.

Start getting into True T3/T4 hybrids and some further modifications will be needed. Plus they would be waisted on 250hp.

Compressor side is going to be same as stock, if larger than S60 wheel then ported housing or slightly larger B housing for efficiency.

Turbine (exhaust side) you would want to stick with .48 A/R to retain stock like spool and your not shooting for 300+HP so you don't need the larger A/R.

Thinking about it, a .48 A/R stage 1 (stock turbine wheel) or clipped stage 1 for slightly more exhaust flow would be optimal for you IF you're being honest with yourself only wanting 250hp.

We've put 300WHP through a .48 A/R stock wheel'd housing, No clip on the wheel, full 3" exhaust, so I don't see a need to go any larger.
INSATANSSEAT likes this.

Robert Mclellan
11.33 @ 126.1mph MB's fastest SRT-4
10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.83 highest mph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wambNdfnu5M
Manitoba's fastest 4cyl!
Worlds Fastest MTX Shelby Charger

Last edited by Shadow; 02-22-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #20 of 28 Old 02-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Hi Rob! Hope you're doing well.

Isaak, this is one of THE guys. He's the coolest because none of the other well known racing guys want to chat much about racing or speed secrets.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
Hi Rob! Hope you're doing well.

Isaak, this is one of THE guys. He's the coolest because none of the other well known racing guys want to chat much about racing or speed secrets.
Doing well, Thanks for asking :)

Still lots of people out there willing to help on these forums, some with greater experience than myself in different areas, so just happy to be in the mix
INSATANSSEAT likes this.
post #22 of 28 Old 03-02-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Again, thank you all for the help. I think I have a much better understanding of what I need to get where I want to be. I'm wondering about a head swap now, specifically to the maserati head. Are these available anymore? How much modding would I have to do to put this head onto my 87 tii block?
post #23 of 28 Old 03-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

well that would be a nice build .. but it would be really expensive .. by comparison

r/t motors are a red headed problem child unto their own

best 2 cam option would be a hybrid with the 2.4 head

but finding the required cam gears and dist adapter might be impossible
or might be an instance of long waits for them to come up for sale
post #24 of 28 Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
well that would be a nice build .. but it would be really expensive .. by comparison

r/t motors are a red headed problem child unto their own

best 2 cam option would be a hybrid with the 2.4 head

but finding the required cam gears and dist adapter might be impossible
or might be an instance of long waits for them to come up for sale
I've considered the neon/pt dohc head too. But from what I've read they only fit on a common block?
Basically, I'm looking for a way to get much better flow than my stock swirl head. Even when ported the g head isn't going to flow as well as a stock dohc, would it?
post #25 of 28 Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM
Boostaholic

you dont need either of those DOHC heads to make 250HP.

has your plan goal or direction changed?
post #26 of 28 Old 03-05-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjr3333 View Post
you dont need either of those DOHC heads to make 250HP.

has your plan goal or direction changed?
No, I was just thinking it would be a good way to increase flow and help get me to my desired power number. What I'm currently thinking for now is I'll get a mild port on my current swirl head, get my two-piece intake ported (or do it myself), clean up my exhaust mani, 3" sv, a slightly larger turbo like the enforcer ii, and put it together. If I'm not satisfied with the power I'm making then I'll reconsider a head swap.
post #27 of 28 Old 03-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Boostaholic

your plan there will make 250HP easy. and could break 300 with enough boost thrown at it.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Super Pope

Rob and others covered most of it. But basically a stage 1 build. Then have the bigger intercooler and 3 inch exhaust. Then run 25 PSI. Stock turbo is fine and is most of the rest of it. Basically have the block buffed on the deck for a MLS head gasket and run one with studs. Then ARP mains and rod bolts while there. If you can tune do a boost button and a SCG-1. If you can't do a stage 5 FWD with SCG-1. The boostbutton will require 88-89 wire harness and computer swap. If you do a bigger turbo, say larger than S60, it'll be a pig around town. Really just the S60 wheel upgrade is fine, the stock turbo will hit 250. If you decide to do a ported top end basically the stage 2 thread is for you. But the state 2 is capable of more power. So I'd run that at 16-18 PSI. Then turn up the boost when you want 300. But a built engine is for low boost and 250. A stock T2 can be boosted to 250. The idea of going 16v for 250 is a laughable joke. That's basically a stock SRT4 setup. 16v is when you want 700 HP not 250. There is also WHP at 250 and crank. WHP I'd do the stage 1 and 2. But still not that tough, stock intercooler, valves, cam, 88 LW rod T1 stock block with a broken piston. Ported top end and 14 PSI I did 214 at the wheels. Really not that tough.

Rob Walsh

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page