upgrade turbo 1 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ILIKESHELBYS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

upgrade turbo 1

Hello
i recently purchaced a 1988 shelby csx t as a project for my sons and me.
car runs good we had to remove cylinder head because we broke coolant line off in turbo, sence we have engine apart what upgrades can we do to turbo, not making a full off race car just want to make sure it will hold its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 01:35 AM
TD Hardcore User!

Re: upgrade turbo 1

Welcome!!

It's very common to break the coolant line and the fitting can be hard to find.

Easiest bolt on would be a Garrett from a 1987-89 Turbo II complete with lines.

Thanks
Randy
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

hey tz - welcome to the forum .. !

can you be more specific about your goals for the car / engine ?
also what is your budget, ?
how much can you & your sons do yourself ?

do you have the head off / planning to ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

my original plans were to fix the body then work on engine it ran fine.
not looking to race car or anything just wondering if there was some simple upgrades to increase power or just to make it more reliable
are the oil lines to turbo even avalible
post #5 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 06:52 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

post #6 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM
Boostaholic

PT lifters. and shims would be a nice upgrade.

have the head cleaned at a machine shop.
and a little runner polishing wouldnt hurt.

converting to a 2 piece intake ( i think 88 CSX had 1 piece turbo2 intakes?) with a 52mmT/B would be inexpensive.

putting on a 2.5 swing valve or even 3 inch swing valve would be an upgrade while there.

while the turbo is off it wouldnt be a bad time to put in a S60 or similar turbo.
or even having the stock turbo rebuilt and ported some would be cheap and free.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

ahaha.. where do you stop ? lol ..
that's why I asked about goals, budget etc ..

my *minimum* build for a head-off, 'stock' motor would be:
1. head: inspect, deck, PT lifters/shims, dual-spring seals, conical springs, multi-angle valve job, port match to intake & exh. mani.s
upgrades: O/S exh. valves, more porting..
2. turbo: rebuild, port compressor housing, turbine housing, swingvalve
upgrades: coating all 3, upgrade to the 2.5" SV (& corresponding turb housing) & DP from an '89+ TI; OR T-II (or bigger) turbo ..
3. intake mani: port match to head, open inlet for 52mm TB
4. exh mani: port match to head & open up outlet (match to turbine housing)
upgrade: more porting, coating

post #8 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 05:20 PM
TD Hardcore User!

I think an 88 CSXT is a Mitsu..

Thanks
Randy
post #9 of 15 Old 03-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Boostaholic

welll then.. garrett upgrade is the only answer.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Welcome tzlomke1!

I agree with my brotheren suggestions above. There is a long list of things you could do and knowing when to say 'uncle' is an important part of actually getting the project finished and having a good daily driver. Luckily, almost everything you can do comes in the form of factory parts that will simply bolt on. Over the years, Chrysler knew they had a winner with the 2.2 and 2.5 engine and that is exactly what they did, they upgraded pieces for more power and they are all simple bolt ons for the most part.

Here are a few of my thoughts...

TURBO
If you have a mitsubishi turbo, from a performance point of view, that is probably the first thing that needs to be replaced. Others may argue that it is fine, but in the long run, at higher boost applications it just runs out of steam or is over reving and will self destruct eventually. It is small to spool quickly for drive-ability but it lacks a good top end. The Garrett turbo came in two basic flavors, we call them TI and TII style. The turbo is the same, only the cold side 'compressor' housing changes. IIRC the oil supply line is the same for either but the coolant line is shaped differently for TI and TII. There are stainless steel braided line replacements available from either turbosunleashed or fwdperformance. Early cars came with a 2.25" swing valve and exhaust to match. Later cars, like 89 to be specific, came with a 2.5" swing valve and a larger wastegate actuator. The 2.5" swing valve and a 2.5" all the way back exhaust really wakes up these cars and is a very good performance upgrade that requires no further tuning. One thing to note however, the swing valve is held on by 5 bolts that have been heat cycled hundreds of times and typically they do NOT want to come out so you can just swap swingvalves. Typically it takes a torch to heat the housing red hot where the bolt is to remove those bolts. If you are looking for a TII style turbo, I have both good used and rebuilt units.

PT LIFTERS
A popular upgrade on the cylinder head that is a drop in and forget it upgrade is mentioned above, the "PT Lifter" upgrade. The standard 2.2 valve lash adjusters (lifters) tend to cavitate with air when run at higher RPMs for very long, so the engine starts to miss and looses power till the air escapes. The later 2.4 engine uses a lifter that has a check valve in it that allows air to escape, so it doesn't cavitate. But the 2.4 lifter is shorter than the 2.2/2.5 lifter, so we install a shim to compensate and bring the adjuster up to the right height. This upgrade makes the engine perform better at higher RPMs and also produces a nicer idle, quieter as well. I also sell the PT Lifters and special shims, both take-outs as well as new Mopar Performance.

BEEHIVE SPRINGS
The beehive spring update is also becoming more popular, to be brief, the 'beehive' spring is a conical spring that reduces the frictional power loss from high spring tension when the valve is closed. Due to the shape of the spring design, the spring tension increases as the valve is opened, reduces as the valve closes which helps the cam to turn more easily, it also allows the engine to rev faster and higher. When combined with the PT Lifter update, it makes for a very sweet head that can rev much better than stock. Much better. I also sell the beehive spring updates and use the valves available from turbosunleashed.

VALVE STEM SEALS
If you do anything with the springs off the head, that is a good time to replace the valve stem seals. The original seals were made of a hard synthetic rubber we call 'viton'. They are easy to install, they work fine, but after years they get hard, they crack, and they pop off. This makes the engine smoke. There is a myth that you can use hemi seals in the 2.2/2.5 head. It is a myth, none of them will fit and there is at least one good FAQ here on that subject. There are several opinions on the 'better' seal to use however, the best seal to use has to be the correct inner and outer height, have the correct inner stem diameter, and a sealing ring that matches the top of the valve stem guide. There is nothing at all wrong with using the original viton seal, however a positive clad seal design that came in later years is better. Positive means that it has a spring loaded stem seal, so over time, as the seal wears the spring maintains the seals integrity, clad means it is encased in metal, so the seal stays on the stem. And as it turns out, there is a seal that fits our applications perfectly, I sell these as well.

88 TBI AND PERFORMANCE CAMS
Another popular drop in mod is to swap the cam over to an 88 TBI cam. The problem is that almost none of the cams Chrysler put in our cars have any markings that distinguish one from the other. So, just because you find an 88 TBI car in the junk yard, you can't be positive it's an 88tbi cam because somewhere in that cars life it could have had the head replaced. The reason we like the 88TBI cam is because it has a grind spec that is very very close to the original 'slider' style cam. Early cars used a slider style cam with a more agressive grind, later cars use roller cams with a smoother grind. The cams are interchangeable but the followers are not, you can't use slider cams with rollers and vice a versa. Also be aware that there are "OSJ" cams. These are cams that are larger diameter than other cams. They exist because of a production mistake at Chrysler on the cylinder heads. They had a ton of heads that were machined with larger than standard cam journals and instead of junking thousands of heads, they had cams made with a larger diameter. Just be aware they exist and of course OSJ cams can not be used in non-OSJ heads and vice a versa. I have new in the box 88TBI cams available also. You can get brand new roller followers from one of our vendors as well. While on the topic of cams, turbosunleashed and fwdperformance both offer a nice collection of performance cams. The lower stage cams can be used with no or minimal modifications, the higher stage cams would require more like larger exhaust, larger injectors, turbos, FMIC, AFPRs etc to get the most out of them.

INTERCOOLING
If you swap to the Garrett TI turbo it is also a great idea to at the same time add an intercooler. Some P-body cars came with an intercooler so you can sometimes find a P-body setup used. The P-body version mounds a little differently than the Daytona and Lebaron and Spirit, but those versions can also be used with only slight mounting modifications. Also note that P-body intercooler outlet necks are bent to the side a bit whereas Daytona style comes straight out and there are some variations of the radiator to intercooler brackets. It's best to find a matched pair intercooler/radiator combo.

RADIATOR FAN
The intercooled radiator is smaller than the standard TI radiator so you will need a TII style fan. Your TI fan might not fit, might be too large. If that were the case good used TII fans are still available but can be hard to find, they are 30+ years old. I sell a remanufactured TII style fan that also works perfectly on the GLHS cars.

INTERCOOLER PIPING and TII STYLE AIRBOX
If you add an intercooler, you will also need to add all the needed intercooler piping and hoses. You can typically find all the pieces needed using a "parts wanted" post. TII style air cleaner housings are pretty easy to find. The other hoses are out there but you may find yourself buying one here, one there. Some of them can be sourced new or used and on eBay in generic intercooler hose kits.

CUSTOM CALIBRATIONS
fwdperformance offers a custom calibration for these cars. A custom calibration is the best way to go for off the shelf performance. Basically, the engine controller is re-programmed to allow more boost and have an upgraded timing and fuel map for more power. The custom calibrations assume that you basically have a stock configuration otherwise. You can also learn how to do your own calibrations but will require some tools to do that as well as an engine controller that has a socket in it to allow you to burn and swap in new programs. There are also individuals here that will burn you a custom calibration. All you have to do is make a post for custom calibration wanted and I think someone will chime in. With a custom calibration, there is no need for the traditional "Grainger Valve"

IMPROVED BRAKING
There is one brake upgrade that you might want to research: SLH1. (Stops Like Hell 1) In brief, the SLH1 brake upgrade involves taking the (now) hard to find 84-90 Caravan/Voyager front brake calipers and a master cylinder from a Shelby and just bolting them on to you car. The Caravan/Voyager caliper is unique and is a 60mm piston design, larger than all the others. So this improve front braking force and is a direct bolt on for all our turbo Dodge cars. This also gives you the single pin Kelsey Hayes brake caliper that is much much easier to service the brake pads. I often offer complete SLH1 upgrades as I come across the hard to find needed Caravan/Voyager brackets. I have 1 set available right now. Here is a like to that for sale post: https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7...grade-set.html

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: THE VACUUM/BOOST HARNESS
One thing that I know all the sage turbo Dodge enthusiasts will want you to know is that boost will put a smile on your face, it will also put a frown on your face! Our cars use a network of vacuum and boost lines with solenoids to monitor and control boost. If one or more of these lines leak under boost, all bets are off and you can easily over boost or run lean or both and wind up sacrificing a piston to the Gods of more boost. So, it's really important to make sure your entire vacuum and boost harness is up to par. The hard vinyl lines after 30 years become brittle and they will snap easily if bent, be aware of that. They can not be replaced with PVC line, it will melt in no time at all, they are vinyl and commonly called emission hose/line. Many of us replace the vacuum/boost harness with thick walled turbo silicone hose and a vacuum block. You can find all sorts of comments and posts and approaches to this by using the site search feature which we all recommend that you get to know. This site has years and years and thousands of good quality posts on almost every topic regarding turbo Dodge.

TRANSMISSIONS
Your car probably came with a transmission called the "A520". It's a good transmission for that car. It has a stronger brother that is a bolt in compatible unit called the "A555". In brief, the A555 has a stronger gear set made by Getrag. One option that you have for either is to get an LSD and have 'posi-traction'. Both wheels delivering power to the pavement. It's a good thing especially when you start turning up the boost, one wheel tracsion is an issue that needs to be dealt with. You've really only got two good options, the Quaife LSD or the NEW turbosunleashed LSD. The Quaife is a standard in our community, it is also quite expensive. The new LSD from Chris at turbosunleashed is the best 2nd choice and is available at a much more attractive price point.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	just sayin.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	253541  
jlawless174 likes this.

Boost on...
Steven Seale

L-BODY SHIFT RODS★ ~ ★A525/A555 CONVERSION BRACKETS
QUICK-SHIFTER★ ~ ★REBUILT TRANSMISSIONS★ ~ ★PT LIFTERS AND SHIMS
MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER★ ~ ★TI/TII TURBO OIL LINES★ ~ ★BEEHIVE SPRINGS
PROUD TO BE AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF THE TURBO DODGE ENTHUSIAST COMMUNITY
post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

Welcome to TurboDodge.com "tzlomke1"!

Really glad to have you in the forum, new members are always welcome. There is always room for another SRT4, Scamp, Rampage, Daytona, Lebaron, Caravan, Laser, Horizon, Sundance, Spirit, Charger, Neon, IROC, Omni GLH or two or three on this forum!! Any Dodge with a turbo bolted to it...or not!! In general we have an active and warm hearted turbo Dodge enthusiast member community that will be happy to assist. You're going to feel right at home here because we have a very active forum. We do like pictures of turbo Dodge and Chrysler's so you are off to a good start and thanks for sharing the pics! We invite you to support our cause and become a paying member and even start a photo album which is just one of the advantages of a paid membership.

FORUM ETIQUETTE
We invite you to become and stay an active member of our community and you are welcome to ask and answer posts as the need or knowledge might present itself. We are a forum that encourages a friendly and informative online environment where sharing is encouraged, in fact rewarded by other members through the feedback system. Rude or unkind responses, inappropriate or vulgar posts are discouraged and though rare, can result in being banned. We all appreciate your positive contributions and continued support of our friendly online enthusiast community.

SPAMing: the forum will quickly get your post deleted and your account will be immediately banned. We define SPAM as any post that has nothing at all to do with a turbo Dodge...nothing...and is obviously a non-related advertisement, a link to a malicious web page, or a link that is intended to generate the poster revenue if clicked. No SPAM please.

AVOID HI-JACKING: a member's post. When you respond to a post, keep your post on topic. You should avoid introducing new topics in another members post thread...that is called "hi-jacking a post". For example, if someone were to ask in a post "how do I check codes on an 89 Lebaron GTC?" it's not a good idea to then post your own question in their thread such as: "Do you know where I can get a PCV hose for my 86 GLHS?" A post like that should go in the "parts wanted" forum.

PARTS FOR SALE/WANTED: If you post in the parts for sale or parts wanted forums there are some simple rules. In the for sale forum you must post a price, a reasonable, accurate description, the parts location, how you expect to be paid, and if available a picture is always appreciated. You should avoid posting your email address or phone number in clear text. In the parts for sale forum, if you post to someone else's thread, it is proper to ask questions about the part, make correctional comments, or ask for a parts history if known by the seller. it is not proper to comment that the price is "way too high" or to make similar comments on the asking price. If you are interested, make them a reasonable offer via a private message. Also do not offer to sell a similar part or offer a similar part for less in someone else's parts for sale thread, start your own parts for sale post.

PLEASE...

USE THE SEARCH FEATURE
If/when you have questions, PLEASE at least try the search feature first. The forum has dozens of FAQs and thousands of posts for reference. Most the questions you might have are going to have been asked and answered before.

USE THE MEMBER FEEDBACK AND REPUTATION FEATURE
Our forum features both a transaction feedback and member reputation system where you can post feedback on buy/sell/trade activities as well as provide member contribution and reputation feedback on your favorite and informative posts by other members. The feedback system for transactions on parts can be found in your user and other user control panels. If you want to provide feedback on a specific post, just go to the post you have in mind and look for the 'star' symbol under the posters information which is displayed on the left side of the post. Click the star and give your feedback. It's always appreciated and others will provide feedback on your good posts as well. It's a very community minded activity you are encouraged to utilize.

SUPPORT OUR SITE VENDORS
If you need new or old parts for your turbo Dodge or non-turbo Chrysler car, feel free to shop with one or more of the member vendors that can be found in the vendors forum. Many of these vendors are also turbo Dodge enthusiasts and have their own stable of cars as well as a wealth of turbo Dodge knowledge and connections in the community of other owners that might have that rare or specialty part that you really need or want. Please support our turbo Dodge vendor community, together we help to keep the community not just alive, but thriving.

FORUM LINKS OF INTEREST

PARTS WANTED
If you need spare parts for repairs or restorations post in the 'parts wanted' forum:
Parts Wanted - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

PARTS FOR SALE
If you have parts to sell, or wonder if parts you already need are offered for sale then post and check in the 'parts for sale' forum:
Parts For Sale - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

BUYING OR SELLING A CAR
If you want to buy or sell a car or just check values and what's currently available for sale, check the 'cars for sale' forum (It's for turbo Dodge cars mostly):
Cars For Sale - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

MISCELLANEOUS PARTS
Other items for sale that might be of interest are here:
Misc. Items For Sale - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

GENERAL CHAT
General chat about Turbo Dodge is in the "Lounge" forum:
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f25/

NUMBERED CAR CHAT
And if you want to discuss numbered Shelby cars, in general:
Discussing Shelbys - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

VENDORS FORUM
Part of what makes our cars fun to own, are the site supporting vendors that provide expertise as well as the hard to find parts often difficult to source from your local auto parts retailer. They have a special page in the forum, you can check out these paying member vendor pages here:
Turbododge Vendors - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

FAQs
And we also have a great FAQ forum:
FAQ Section - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

NEED A TURBO DODGE PARTS SUPPLIER?
There are a number of reliable resellers of turbo Dodge parts that you might want to consider building a relationship with. We encourage you to do business with them because it helps to keep our community members and their cars on the road when you support these specialty car parts distributors.

Turbos Unleashed (turbosunleashed.com)
Turbo Dodge Engine Parts & Turbos

Front Wheel Drive Performance (FWDPerformance.com)
Turbo Dodge Engine Parts & Turbos, Suspension, Brakes, Accessories, Transmissions

Turbo Dodge Parts (turbododgeparts.com)
L-body shift rods, quick shifters, A525/A555 conversion brackets, PT Lifter upgrades, Rebuilt Transmissions and Hybrids

Rock Auto (RockAuto.com)
Lots of turbo Dodge parts, from bumper to bumper. See the vendor section for a 5% discount code every day on every order!

Omni Potent (omnipotentparts.com)
L-body and other turbo Dodge reproduction parts

RBryant(rbryant.freeshell.org/products.htm)
Custom spark plug wires, suspension kits, specialty brake pads, OBX rebuild kits

Forward Motion (www.forwardmotioninc.com)
Turbo Dodge engine and suspension parts, complete engines as well

Again, we welcome you to be an active member.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PAID-MEMBERSHIP.png
Views:	44
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	253543  

Boost on...
Steven Seale

post #12 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 02:24 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

Wow nice write-ups Steve !! great stuff !!

for sure you should look for a 'TBI' cam as a cheap 'factory' upgrade, either an 88 or 89+ would work, but there's nothing wrong with the 88 roller TI cam either, especially on a stock-ish build, and I might even recommend that cam for a heavy, auto, A/C car... of which yours is not.

and YES definitely replace the 'vacuum' harness ..!
unless you're going for a 100% stock looking build, then a 'vacuum block' is a major upgrade and should be one of the first things done to even an original stock car since the original plastic lines and elbows are almost assuredly cracked and leaking and will give driveability problems at best and could cause piston melting engine failure as a worst case scenario..

post #13 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 03:50 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

oops double post
post #14 of 15 Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

I did the FAQ on cam specs a few years back. Just posting here for reference as needed. Here is what the factory parts guide has listed for cams for various years:

[ 1987 ]
4293 817 CAMSHAFT PACKAGE, w/Standard Journals (Except EDG Turbo
& EDR Turbo-Intercooler Engine)
Consists of:1-----Camshaft, 8-4173390 Rocker, Valve

4293 818 CAMSHAFT PACKAGE, w/.050 O/S Journals (Except EDG
Turbo & EDR Turbo-Intercooler Engine)
Consists of: 1-----Camshaft, w/.050 O/S Journals (Stamped O/S J)
8-4173390 Rocker, Valve

4293 819 CAMSHAFT PACKAGE, w/Standard Journals (w/EDG Turbo,
w/EDR Turbo-Intercooler Engine)

[ 1988 ]
4387 850 CAMSHAFT, w/Standard Journals and EDF Injection Engine
4387 850 w/Standard Journals and EDG Turbo, EDR Turbo-Intercooler
Up to 3-1-88
(Notice that in this year the TBI and turbo I and II applications use the same cam up through 3/1/1988)
4387 721 w/Standard Journals and EDG Turbo, EDR Turbo-Intercooler
After 3-1-88

[ 1989 ]
4387 850 CAMSHAFT, w/Standard Journals (Exc. EDR Turbo-Intercooler)
(Notice in this year the cam for the TBI car is the same as for last year, but the turbo cam is now different)
4387 721 w/Standard Journals (w/EDR Turbo-Intercooler)
4448 479 w/.050 O/S Journals (Exc. EDR Turbo-Intercooler)

[ 1990 ]
4387 850 CAMSHAFT, w/Standard Journals (Exc. EDR Turbo-Intercooler)
(Notice in this year the cam for the TBI car is the same as for last (89)year, and the turbo cam is also different but the same cam as it was in 89)
4387 721 w/Standard Journals (w/EDR Turbo-Intercooler)
4448 479 w/.050 O/S Journals (Exc. EDR Turbo-Intercooler)

[ 1992 ]

S/C EDF - 2.2L Eng. andard" Camshaft Package for Service.
S/C EDR - 2.2L Eng (Turbocharged-Intercooler) andard" Camshaft Package for Service.

4387 850 CAMSHAFT, w/Standard Journals
4448 479 .050 O/S Journals
(Notice that it's back to the same cam for both EFI as well as turbo cars)

So based on this information, my theory is that an 89 CSX came with cam #4387 850 which is the same cam as found in any 88 TBI car or turbo car manufactured before 3/1/1988, any 89-90 TBI car, or any 92 TBI or turbo car.

Boost on...
Steven Seale

post #15 of 15 Old 04-03-2019, 08:09 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: GLHS 279, 70 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
Wow nice write-ups Steve !! great stuff !!

for sure you should look for a 'TBI' cam as a cheap 'factory' upgrade, either an 88 or 89+ would work, but there's nothing wrong with the 88 roller TI cam either, especially on a stock-ish build, and I might even recommend that cam for a heavy, auto, A/C car... of which yours is not.

and YES definitely replace the 'vacuum' harness ..!
unless you're going for a 100% stock looking build, then a 'vacuum block' is a major upgrade and should be one of the first things done to even an original stock car since the original plastic lines and elbows are almost assuredly cracked and leaking and will give driveability problems at best and could cause piston melting engine failure as a worst case scenario..
Does anyone make new vacuum harness or should I just rebuild mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in