Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Timing Question - Rotor Loctation

959 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The Pope 
#1 ·
Hi All,
89 2.5 Turbo Auto

First time doing a belt in my life. Plenty of chains although first belt.

Read the post associated with timing mark locations on the crank and intermediate shaft, oval in cam sprocket and lines visible thru cam sprocket holes.

Window on trans and timing marks on housing, Two timing marks on the convertor which made things interesting for a bit.

TDC confirmed at #1, piston at top of travel.

All looks good except for rotor location. Def not 10 o'clock. More like 11 o'clock although everything else looks dead one.

Thoughts please and thank you.

Bib

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don;t even try to line up the mark for the intermediate shaft. I pull the distributor and have the slot for the distributor parallel with the block.

if I try to use the marks its always out a tooth and the distributor with sit funny, to set the timing you'll have to really turn it some, not the end of the world. as long and the cam and crank are correct.

I check the cam by taking a picture of the face of the camshaft sprocket and comparing the seam where the cam cap meets up. making sure its even on both side, its a pain to line up the center notch to space.

#5 ·
The big one is tension the belt then look at the marks. Better than 90 percent that have timing issues don't do it. Yes after timing the dist slot should be parallel with the cylinders which is pointing at #1. My self I line up the bottom, turn the cam to the right a bit. Add the belt, turn the cam left to tension then check it. I also use my phone to view the cam pulley, used to use a mirror before smart phones lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.