87 shelby z vacumn line help - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By detobias

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

87 shelby z vacumn line help

hey guys i need help figuring out my vacumn lines. i have the proper diagram for it but im having trouble understanding it. like i cant figure out how its supposed to go back together. it should be all good except when i was working on it some plastic lines snapped. right behind the valve cover. do i have to have a new line? or can i somehow cut it back and splice it together. never worked with these before. like the diagram makes sense on the diagram but when i get to the car i dont understand it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

Re: 87 shelby z vacumn line help

the diagram shows "circuits" like a wiring diagram , not routing of lines and parts in the car

the diagram is to help when you look to each end of any line you might be holding

and most important , handle the old hard plastic lines like they are made of glass tubing
- then you'll have slightly fewer issues

if not to fubar'ed you can patch thing up with some hose but reproducing the entire harness with new lines is ultimately the best way to go

from the manifold runs a rubber hose- there should be a 4 way vacume source splitter in it
those lines all run towards the solenoids on the pass fender but one may be dead ended with a cap

there are two larger lines , a medium and large if you well that run from the charcoal canister to the throttle body and the steel vent line back to the tank (the rubber line)

+one small from purge solenoid to the charcoal can

and there is one more small line that runs from the wastegate solenoid to the w-g actuator below the throttle body - so these three lines run as a group together as they fit down behind the valve cover

+ one vacuum source to fuel regulator

your 4 way source lines should sit in place above them

there's a way all this actually fits and tucks away nicely - down behind the valve cover
post #3 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

also , 87 shelby z's had two different vacum harness assembelies

one had it's vacuum source nipple on the front of the manifold top half, the other , on the back

both harness were manufactured for the particular fit
these two cars I had at the same time were early and late april 87 and one had the single diaphragm booster , the late car had a duel dia booster

my guess looking back is the early one prob had the source at the back which isn't a good place with the heat coming up the firewall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

this may sound dumb but idk what a charcoal canister is
post #5 of 14 Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

front corner of the pass side inner fender there is a round thingy with three lines running to it

if you look under the car there you'll see a plastic can almost the size of an apple juice can

this is filled with charcoal and gause and serves to filter the gas fumes out of the gas tank vent air for emissions standards
- on older cars the float bowl vent on the carburetor would also be connected

and it also helps slow down the evaporation of fuel from the tank as a small bonus

removing it is , silly for these reasons .. but people do (?)
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

unless you're restoring this car and want it original,
we recommend replacing the stock 'vacuum harness' with new lines and a 'vacuum block' of some sort

the original plastic components have degraded as you have discovered,
and trying to patch it will likely keep you chasing further issues and potentially damaging your engine..
NAJ likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 07:51 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
we recommend replacing the stock 'vacuum harness' with new lines and a 'vacuum block' of some sort

the original plastic components have degraded as you have discovered,
and trying to patch it will likely keep you chasing further issues and potentially damaging your engine..
+1 ^^^^^^^
Splicing the plastic lines with rubber lines will only create other vacuum/pressure leaks, ask me how I know, go ahead, ask...

It is not really difficult, more time consuming than anything, think of it as putting together a jigsaw puzzle.
The directions will be the same weather you decide to install a vacuum block or repair your original lines (Not Recommended as a Long Term Fix)

1)Install a vacuum block and start by running vacuum lines to each component shown that receives engine vacuum.
(FPR, Baro Solenoid, Wastegate Solenoid, Purge Solenoid, Boost Gauge (if equipped)
2)The next step is to run vacuum from the above listed Solenoids to the component being controlled.
(Map Sensor, Wastegate, Charcoal Canister)
3)Next would be running the miscellaneous lines to/from the Throttle Body, Cruise Control, Turbo, Air Cleaner Housing etc.

You are going to need vacuum hose (5/32" and 7/32"), vacuum fittings, and reuse any check valves/orifices from your original system.

I can walk you through this and explain the vacuum diagram step by step on site if you like, however, I will not be back home until Monday or Tuesday.

INSTALLING A VACUUM BLOCK
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...s-84-93-t.html

VACUUM BLOCKS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROP-6-Port-...oAAOSw6H5alIPq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-A...ry!08094!US!-1

There is someone on the site that knows where to buy rolls of polyline and fittings that would be similar to what is on the car from the factory if you are looking to replace that way, unfortunately I do not remember who it is but if they see the thread I am sure they will post.

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

now is installing this vacuum block and such actually nessisarry? this car is no performance car. its a stock original rust free shelby that i have no intent in racing. have the dream of that one day but family is coming first right now. can i not just replace the few lines that are broken and drive it?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

what does the vaccum block do?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

LOL

eah sonny that thar's whatcha call fancy talk for a vacuum source splitter with a screw loop so you can attach it somewheres without it floppin around..

and if all you need to to patch a couple of line , yes , yes you can go right ahead and do that

just remember to handle the old brittle lines like they are glass tubing and keep any added hose bits to a minimum needed

if you need to replace all the small lines you might be able to do it on the cheep
IF the local pick n pull has an 80-90 jeep pickup or wagon with the GM v6

those used much better plastic lines ..and they came in yellow , green and light blue - to match EXACTLY the coloured 90* boot connectors used in our cars

those plastic lines will still be useable today and will be cheep as dirt

chrysler used a round 4 way splitter
these were manufactured with the small plastic lines already glued into them
these lines were long enough to reach the fender

the service replacement part was the same round splitter with 4 , two inch sections of line glued in
and 4 short rubber hoses to splice it in

- so yeah , if all you need is a couple of simple patch ups it's no big deal to do just that

however if your lines are crumbling with the slightest touch it's time to build a new vacuum harness

and you'll get better results when you remember the vacuum lines ARE an assembled part .. the vacuum harness , and it's DESIGNED to fit into place on the engine / in the car

so it's best to copy what cryco did as closely as you can
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post

Don't include everyone in that "We" statement. New lines yes, Ford Vacuum block that slows the response of your vac/boost signals to important sensors NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes87shelbyz View Post
now is installing this vacuum block and such actually nessisarry? this car is no performance car. its a stock original rust free shelby that i have no intent in racing. have the dream of that one day but family is coming first right now. can i not just replace the few lines that are broken and drive it?

Nope, not necessary at all, actually hurts performance of the vac system with all the extra tubing you have to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes87shelbyz View Post
what does the vaccum block do?
See above.

Go here:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...bing_-a-_hoses

Buy One 100ft roll of 5/32 straight nylon tubing (factory stock stuff) for less than $20 which will last you a lifetime and your friends a lifetime of turbododge vac line replacement.
You can also get 1/4" line if you're going to keep the purge canister.

The vac diagram is pretty simple once you sit down and see how everything goes. Like someone said it's not a map for routing lines, it's just a map for how things are connected.

I don't have any pics of stock setups because I just rip it all out and start over my way. One important piece is that elbow with the 4 way splitter. you can reuse this by taking a 5/32 drill, putting it in a drill motor and then turning the drill by hand to just grab the ends of the lines that are still in the 4 way and pulling them out. Be careful and go slow and it's easy. Then you can re-insert new line into the 4 way. After you're done a dab of gorilla clue in the center of the lines will keep them secure in the splitter.

Here are some pics of stuff before and after and just plain modified. The key to lines is to keep them as short as possible. There's a reason why map sensors are mounted directly to the intake manifold and not 10ft worth of line away.

88 Lancer shelby Before and after for a friend.

This is the most stock 87 T2 setup I had, It was done by the previous owner. sorry it's blurry but you can see the 4 way splitter on the back of the manifold with all the lines and the purge and PCV setup in front T-'d together with hose clamps. I didn't drive the car this way for line before ripping the engine out for heavy mods.

The Dakota's had a 3 way splitter which was just a 4 way with 1 port never drilled out. I used it on my 87 ShelbyZ after doing a custom upper plenum.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

i still dont understand whats going on this thing. i have 3 broken ends........ how does that make sense idk! sorry about the crappy pics but this is the dogs breakfest i have going on rn lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daytona lines.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	254811   Click image for larger version

Name:	daytona line2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	254813  
post #13 of 14 Old 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

My car is not a "race car" although I have "raced" her, she is/was (I am retired now so do not drive as much as I used to) a daily driver and my only car since 1997 so she needs to be reliable.

You can splice the existing/broken lines back together.
It is only recommended as a temporary fix.
Will splicing the lines create a problem with vacuum/pressure leaks now or in the future???
It did for me so I installed a vacuum block and all new lines about 10/12 years ago and have had absolutely no problems since.

I am not going to get into a debate about vacuum blocks but just let me say that I have never encountered any of the issues brought up in post #11, but I digress...
If and when you decide to replace the lines you now have different choices as how to proceed and the choice will be yours as to which route you go.

From your pics it appears that the BOLD black lines in the diagram below are what is disconnected (the bold lines are all emissions related), where do these line run to? (See pic with numbers)

Also...
What state do you live in, there may be a member close by that is willing to help you get this straightened out.

87 shelby z vacumn line help-87-turbo-2-vacuum.jpg

87 shelby z vacumn line help-daytona-lines.jpg

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

hey guys update... funny funny story as to what was wrong with my daytona. so i redid the lines taken from my 92 dakota parts truck. most fit perfect without cutting. 3.9 v6 was awesome. still high idle. was so ticked. i was doing a few things on the car when my 2.5 year old sweatheart daughter couldnt sleep and came out to see me. she wanted to help daddy work on the car. so i said yes. she grabs a chair and comes to help. she hands me a bracket and says she wants to put it in. so im like sure. why not. this bracket is connected to the cylinder head and the intake manifold. the bolt hole on the intake manifold was tapped thru...... wow!!! that was my leak... i couldnt figure out but my little girl did... soooo funny. got it going 2 days before moparfest in kitchener. was a great show. the only car show i care to go to each year. thanks so much for all the pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in