Holley Difference - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

Holley Difference

What is the difference between a Holley 5220 carb and a 6520 carb, bath were used on our car from what I have noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Rampage Base Carb
Engine: 2.2

Garage
Re: Holley Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71hemibird View Post
What is the difference between a Holley 5220 carb and a 6520 carb, bath were used on our car from what I have noticed.
The Holley 6520 is an electronic feedback carb which is tied in to the O2 sensor.
The 5220 is a non-feedback. No O2 sensor required...
post #3 of 46 Old 06-10-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Ok, I have an 83 shelby that is missing the original carb, but I found a carb off an 84, or 85. Would it work, or would I have to add a bunch of parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 06-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
Ok, I have an 83 shelby that is missing the original carb, but I found a carb off an 84, or 85. Would it work, or would I have to add a bunch of parts.
What carb did you find, a 5220 or 6520?

Are you in Calif or does your State require emissions testing?

Does your Shelby have AC or do you plan to disconnect it?

You probably won't need to add a bunch of parts and any carb would probably work. The question is how much better or worse...

My Rampage has the 5220 with AC. In 1983 it was considered a "truck" and did not have the stringent emission requirements as the passenger cars did unless it was sold in Calif. It does have the vapor canister & EGR valve which run off the vacuum ports on the front of the carb.

There are some posts here on TD that say the 5220 is better than the 6520.

A lot depends on the emissions you want to control or not...
post #5 of 46 Old 06-10-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

We don't have emissions checks. Most of the emission hardware had been removed in the past along with the o2 sensor, which could reinstalled. My car has AC and cruise and I want that to work. From what the parts store said on the numbers on the carb it is a 6520. The EGR and vapor canister are still present, but not attached to anything. The car has some sort of Holley on it now, but I don't like the way it acts and the stock air cleaner won't fit it. I'm a Neon person, so all of this is new to me.
post #6 of 46 Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
We don't have emissions checks. Most of the emission hardware had been removed in the past along with the o2 sensor, which could reinstalled. My car has AC and cruise and I want that to work. From what the parts store said on the numbers on the carb it is a 6520. The EGR and vapor canister are still present, but not attached to anything. The car has some sort of Holley on it now, but I don't like the way it acts and the stock air cleaner won't fit it. I'm a Neon person, so all of this is new to me.
If you go with the 6520 then you'll need the O2 sensor since the carb receives feedback from it. Make sure the carb has a "Wide Open Throttle Cut-out Switch" as that controls the AC clutch circuit (sort of a metal plate with an actuator that's mounted below the fuel inlet on the carb).

The Cruise Control cable should just hook up to the carb's linkage.

The EGR valve probably will need to be cleaned/replaced. From a front view there should be 2 vacuum valves that are mounted on the thermostat housing on the head. One of these control the EGR & Canister purge. Vacuum hoses are hooked up to these and to the carb, EGR & Vapor Canister Purge Valve (on top of the canister). The other controls the Air/Smog Pump on the side of the head that you said was removed. You should have a Vacuum Routing label in the engine bay...

If you haven't yet done already, invest in some service manuals (2 books): https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Chrysl...kAAOSw9xJcA-oy

If you go with a 5220 carb then no O2 sensor will be needed. The O2 sensor is mounted on the exhaust manifold and it might be a big PITA to remove the plug. Let's hope the PO put some anti-seize on the threads!

Also, a warning about the air filter housing. Be extra careful and do not over tighten the 2 wingnuts where the housing attaches on top of the carb!!! This could warp the upper part (air horn) of the carb!

There're some pics of my engine & rebuilt 5220 carb in my Album...

Hope this info helps and hasn't made things more confusing!
post #7 of 46 Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I have factory service manuals bought, if they ever get here. The 6520 that I bought has everything on it, even the ac cut out switch. How many o2 sensors were there? There was one in the convertor that I removed, is there one in the manifold also? Before I do anything I'm gonna test the mixture synoild to see if it even works. I also don't know if the computer still works, or not. All things considered, which carb gives less trouble and works the best? I'm still thinking, would I be better off just getting a Weber? And who would I make the linkage work?
post #8 of 46 Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
I have factory service manuals bought, if they ever get here. The 6520 that I bought has everything on it, even the ac cut out switch. How many o2 sensors were there? There was one in the convertor that I removed, is there one in the manifold also? Before I do anything I'm gonna test the mixture synoild to see if it even works. I also don't know if the computer still works, or not. All things considered, which carb gives less trouble and works the best? I'm still thinking, would I be better off just getting a Weber? And who would I make the linkage work?
There is only one O2 sensor on the '83 and it should be located on the exhaust manifold, driver's side. Look at the end of the manifold right before it attaches to the catalytic pipe. You should see the O2 sensor (My Rampage has a plug). The stock catalytic converter has no O2 sensor, just a tube that connects with a hose to the Air/Smog Pump. Maybe you have an after market cat. converter???

If the O2 sensor is upstream on the cat then it should work.

If you're going to use the 6520 you'll have to use an O2 sensor since it's a feedback carb.

If you use a 5220 then no O2 sensor to worry about. Opinions in other threads is that the 5220 works better than the 6520.

Yes, you could get a Weber but you'll have to research (check other threads) on how to hook up the linkage.

How about a 5220 carb, ditch the cat and run straight pipe from the manifold to the muffler since emissions aren't an issue. Maybe the Performance Experts here can weigh in on this...
post #9 of 46 Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Ok, I'll look into the 5220, Thanks
post #10 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

it also depends on if you are going for 'originality' of course ..

I'd say a properly running Holley 65xx 'feedback' carb is superior to a properly running 52xx ..
mainly cuz it should give a bit better fuel economy and mid-throttle power.
as the ECM (should be) managing A/F ..

but of course you need the proper ECM, original wiring in engine harness (ie not cut off/out), supporting sensors like O2 ..
post #11 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
it also depends on if you are going for 'originality' of course ..

I'd say a properly running Holley 65xx 'feedback' carb is superior to a properly running 52xx ..
mainly cuz it should give a bit better fuel economy and mid-throttle power.
as the ECM (should be) managing A/F ..

but of course you need the proper ECM, original wiring in engine harness (ie not cut off/out), supporting sensors like O2 ..
Several options to choose from...

Since the 6520 is already in hand then maybe go with that. I agree that it would give better fuel economy since the carb would be monitored with input from the O2 sensor.

But yes, all the proper components need to be there. Just what is trying to be achieved???
post #12 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I'm wanting to be able to run the stock airbox and have a engine that is reliable and runs good. This car is really, really nice other than this stuff missing. It has a bigger than stock Holley and none of the original stuff works with it. I have the airbox and air hose and they look brand new, so I think they should be on it. I just got the car and I think this is what it needs, maybe later in a few years, I'll think about something else, like fuel injection. I don't mind changing things, as long as they look like the factory did it.
post #13 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
I'm wanting to be able to run the stock airbox and have a engine that is reliable and runs good. This car is really, really nice other than this stuff missing. It has a bigger than stock Holley and none of the original stuff works with it. I have the airbox and air hose and they look brand new, so I think they should be on it. I just got the car and I think this is what it needs, maybe later in a few years, I'll think about something else, like fuel injection. I don't mind changing things, as long as they look like the factory did it.
Alright, very good!
Stay with the 6520 then. You said the Cat has the O2 sensor? Have you had a chance to look on the exhaust manifold? Might be better that the O2 sensor is on the Cat as long it is upstream. A lot easier to replace if needed.

Once you get your FSMs things should be easier. Have you downloaded the Efiche Parts Manual? The part numbers & diagrams will be very helpful!

Post some pics!
post #14 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I had the cat removed cause it was falling apart inside and replaced it with a resonator.
post #15 of 46 Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Boostaholic

Garage

Quote:
I had the cat removed cause it was falling apart inside and replaced it with a resonator.
Ahh oh then.

Look at this pic of an upside exhaust manifold. The O2 sensor (silver) is by the end where the donut seal goes. The EGR is at the bottom coming off the side...

See what's on your manifold.

(Sorry pic is so small)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex Mnfd.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	254377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page