Poll - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadow
  • 1 Post By tryingbe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 83 Rampage DC
Engine: 2.2 turbo 1 intercooled by MP
1/4: 0.000

Question Poll

Good Morning,, I realize most of you are running expensive AF meters, I will go the same route, but is anyone using an inexpensive pyrometer? If so are the probes lasting or do you have to change them out every so often. I have so many things to do that it will be hared to raise the kinda money I am forecasting. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 AM
#DriveTastefully

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII
Induct: Turbo

Re: Poll

There are guys running EGT (technically pyrometer) in addition to and AF. Generally though in higher performance set-ups to tune cylinders individually, so a probe is installed in each cylinder runner of the exhaust manifold. Using a pyrometer, especially a single probe at any point in the system, instead of an AF I personally don't think will cut it. It's unnecessary though unless your running BIG power or hardcore drag/track racing.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

the probes are long lasting.. an EGT setup is pretty cheap .. nice to know exactly whats going on there .. easy to mount in #4 runner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 83 Rampage DC
Engine: 2.2 turbo 1 intercooled by MP

I am a little surprised by the lack of input, but I guess being new to the forum does not help. I will try to be an active member and contribute when I can. I am just looking for history of egt probe failures and what to avoid if I can. Regards
post #5 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 86 S/C
Engine: 2.2 8V
1/4: 10.040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampageproject View Post
I am a little surprised by the lack of input, but I guess being new to the forum does not help. I will try to be an active member and contribute when I can. I am just looking for history of egt probe failures and what to avoid if I can. Regards
I've never run an EGT probe and never will. Early on I saw too many blowing up at the track because EGT failed and they were changing on the fly and running blind.

Plus, after years of experience and no failures I came to understand that when the pieces of the puzzle are Correct, and everything is working properly and tuned to proper AFR's, EGT follows suit, so really no need to monitor it.......

I should add that I could still tune one of these set-ups on the old Cyberdyne narrow band without issue. For most, obviously not as accurate, but I ran them back in the day side by side with wide band and understand the correlation.
Rampageproject likes this.

Robert Mclellan
11.33 @ 126.1mph MB's fastest SRT-4
10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.83 highest mph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wambNdfnu5M
Manitoba's fastest 4cyl!
Worlds Fastest MTX Shelby Charger
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2019, 10:52 AM
TD is love, TD is life

Engine: 2.2

At $160, I think it was well worth the value as engine rebuild can cost thousands.

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-U...gateway&sr=8-3
NAJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page