Automatic door locks while car is moving. - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 92lebaronGTC
  • 1 Post By charger R/T

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '92 Lebaron GTC
Engine: 3.0L V-6
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

Automatic door locks while car is moving.

My car like probably many others here automaticly locks the doors at 15mph. What has happened recently is that any time I drive the car above 15mph, from then on, the door locks it's self anywhere from 5-20 times in a minute. This is getting so annoying!!! Not only that, but the in car computer or whatever keeps dinging at me like if I left the lights on or something. All of this only when the car is moving. Never at a stop light or stop sign.

I think this may have to do with the speed sensors or something electrical in the car. I take out the fuse under the dash while I drive to keep the locks from burning them selves out. But the dinging won't go away. Where can I start to look for problem areas or has anyone had a similar problem they fixed?

My car must have hated chicago winter for it's first year. This is what I get. :)

I tried to pull a code from the car but it just gave me 55 meaning all clear. Any input is appreciated because I don't want to be annoyed by a little problem like this. thanks!
razz likes this.

-Steve Reject.

1992 Chrysler Lebaron GTC 3.0L/a543 191,000 miles
Engine K&N Cold Air Intake, 52mm Throttle Body, Intake Plenum Spacers, MSD Coil,Accel 8mm wires, NGK V-Power, Aluminum Radiator
Suspension A-Spec Strut Tower Bar, Falken ZE-512 205/55/16, Bilstein SportTouring Struts, KYB Gasajust shocks, Boxed Panhard Bar, Polyurethane Sway Bushings and solid motor mounts

TINT - 20% Front, 13% Rear, 15% Windshield Banner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 92 Iroc R/T Red
Engine: TIII

its one of your door switches. On this set up if you open the door with the vehicle moving above 15 mph it will lock the doors again when you close it. It has also happened to me when the kids didn't get the sliding door all the way closed. If you have a scanner and go into the body computer it will tell you which door it is.
Tim
razz likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

It's really annoying me, the problem went away for like 3 or 4 days then all of a sudden yesterday it started again almost worse than before. I again took out my door lock fuse so they wouldn't burn themselves out. So is one of those door switches near the front of the door or on the body where the door closes near the backseat?

I'm guessing it's one of these maybe?

Today I noticed it only chimed and didn't lock the doors until AFTER I went over 15mph. Then it chimed and locked them everytime I touched the accelerator. It happens 90% of the time when I touch the gas and hardly does when cruising with no gas pedal or when I apply the brakes.

-Steve Reject.

1992 Chrysler Lebaron GTC 3.0L/a543 191,000 miles
Engine K&N Cold Air Intake, 52mm Throttle Body, Intake Plenum Spacers, MSD Coil,Accel 8mm wires, NGK V-Power, Aluminum Radiator
Suspension A-Spec Strut Tower Bar, Falken ZE-512 205/55/16, Bilstein SportTouring Struts, KYB Gasajust shocks, Boxed Panhard Bar, Polyurethane Sway Bushings and solid motor mounts

TINT - 20% Front, 13% Rear, 15% Windshield Banner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
TD Hardcore User!

looking at the FSM I would guess its the switch by the striker you need to look at. The book shows the 2 switches but is a little cloudy on location. It does show one of the switches has 1 wire and it goes to ground. the other uses 2 or 3 wires depending on which door it is in and works the interior light. I assume you don't have a scanner to hook up to the body computer? It would show you in the data which door is the problem. Can get the chime to chime with the car sitting still?
Tim

68 Dodge Charger R/T 440 4sp Red
92 Dodge Daytona Iroc R/T Red
93 Dodge Daytona Iroc R/T Green
94 Chrysler LeBaron Convertable GTC
92 Plymouth Voyager LE
94 Chrysler Town & Country
66 Dodge Dart GT 273 (needs restored but runs)
post #5 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 04:15 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 89 lebaron /shadow
Engine: 2.5 turbo
Induct: Turbo

I don't know anything about this stuff lol. But i do know the switch at the back of the door is easy to unplug just take the thin panel off and unplug it and see if your problem stops
post #6 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

It only does this while the car is moving, should I try taking one of them out at a time and then test driving? Or should I get pick up a few at a junkyard/parts store and they them out?

It's almost certain one of these switches is the problem right? I'm hoping it's as easy to fix as replacing them.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-07-2007, 07:53 PM
TD Hardcore User!

When I check this data on my scanner a door that is open reads closed on the scanner and a door that is closed reads open on the scanner so I would guess unplugging the switch (open circuit) should be what the body computer needs to see to not keep locking your doors over and over.
Tim
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Today I took out the ones from where the door latches out, cleaned them and put them back it, no more annoying dinging or locking so far yet! Hopefully this will be fixed for good and if not, i'll replace the switches. Thanks for all the help so far!! You guys are the best.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2007, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Well it didn't solve it for good, problem came back BUT I have fixed it thanks to everyones help!!! I pulled some door switches from my schools wrecked drivers ed car. It just so happens to be an old cloud car!! Stratus or cirrus or something, don't really remember. Anyways, I noticed the switches looked the same as these.

Popped them in like a week ago and everything is back to normal! Thanks everyone again!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2019, 09:55 PM
TD New Guy

Re: Automatic door locks while car is moving.

This was very helpful to me - we replaced the striker on my son's car and apparently didn't have it in quite far enough, so the switch was not quite closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page