Clutch Pedal Height - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 89 Omni
1/4: 0.000

Clutch Pedal Height

Is there a way to adjust the clutch pedal height on a 89 Omni? Mine is way too high and I'm tired of using my knee to shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

Re: Clutch Pedal Height

Not really adjustable. Its bolted to the firewall basically, you could possibly shim it with some washers at the top to lower the pedal at the bottom. Not a lot of options there beyond customizing the bracket that holds the pedal assembly
post #3 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
Not really adjustable. Its bolted to the firewall basically, you could possibly shim it with some washers at the top to lower the pedal at the bottom. Not a lot of options there beyond customizing the bracket that holds the pedal assembly
How would one go about customizing the assembly? I can't tell from the assembly drawing and there's not much room in the car to get a good look at how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Naturally Aspirated

This would require removing the assembly, then some head scratching, probably a drill, a cut-off wheel, and a welder. I think you proposing going where few have gone before.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

The thing I'm trying to understand is would creating more slack in the cable allow the pedal to engage at a lower spot?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Level 4 Supporter

A bad cable or stripped adjuster will cause this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
A bad cable or stripped adjuster will cause this.
What is stock pedal height supposed to be off the floor?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Naturally Aspirated

You can't add more slack in the cable because it has an automatic adjuster built into the back side of the clutch pedal that keeps the tension on the cable at the appropriate height. The pedal might have 1" of free travel before it starts to tug on the cable, and depending on your clutch manufacturer and the wear on the disk, and the throw out bearing chosen, it will typically disengage after a few inches of travel. If pressed to the floor, the clutch will begin to engage again after raising the pedal several inches. A stock clutch has a fairly wide engagement distance, many of the performance clutches do not have as wide a range of engagement travel.

As Jake mentioned, the cable will begin to fray/unravel and the two most frequent spots this will happen is where it goes into the sheath above the transmission clutch arm, and inside the car where it enters the cabin at the firewall. You didn't earlier mention you were having any problems with the cable, just wanting to adjust the height of the pedal to be able to bend the knee less. A clutch that is wearing out or close to worn out will in our cars feel about the same as a good one because of the auto adjuster on the cable. It will start to slip on hills or under load and by then it wont take long for it to quit pulling all together.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Level 4 Supporter

Clutch pedal height should be about the same as the brake or just a bit higher. The adjustment procedure per Chrysler is to lift up on the clutch pedal as far as it will go and then press it to the floor. This disengages the adjuster and allows the teeth to grab in a new spot. If your adjuster is worn, it's only going to grab where it can.

The photo isn't L Body, but they all work the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1z6ckr7.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	206497  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

On the adjuster pivoter, if you cut the groove deeper where cable rests, getting the cable closer to the pedal's center of rotation, wouldn't that lower the pedal some?

My pedal is resting slightly above the brake pedal so it looks like the adjusters are working correctly.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 PM
Naturally Aspirated

In my past experience with the turbo Dodge clutch pedal, anything you do as far as clutch cable length, location of brackets, length of or clocking of the clutch arm on the transmission made almost no difference if at all of the position of the clutch pedal, as I mentioned before, the automatic adjuster has a job to do and that is to pull up any slack in the cable and maintain the proper position and feel on the pedal and in most cases it's doing its ob really well. I think if you physically want the pedal to not come up as high, you're going to have to install some sort of stop to physically block/prevent it from coming up to it's natural position. And if you want to keep the auto adjust feature you're probably going to find yourself dealing with a needed solution on that.

The clutch pedal is easy to get off it's pivot pin. You could cut it, slide it back a bit and reweld it I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page