New daytona owner - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-17-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1989 Shelby daytona
Engine: 2.2, T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

New daytona owner

Hey guys,

Just purchased an original 89 Shelby daytona with 107k miles on it today. Drove it the 270 miles home and it did great. Only a few issues I am posting about to try and get some ideas, as it's been 12 yrs or so since I had my last daytona.

For suspension, the main isssue is that the steering wheel wobbles when you hit bumps. I don't think it's the colum as I can grab the wheel and try to shake it with my hands, but it doesn't move. I think it's something underneath like the rack or struts. I am going to get it in the air tomorrow to scope it out, but if anyone has an idea, please let me know.

The car has a very soft suspension, which is weird as my 86 and much stiffer suspension. I can push down on the hood of the car, and the car bounces pretty easily. I am thinking the shocks and struts may need to be replaced. You guys use autozone type struts or other ones? Car will remain stock, and will be used for cruising around.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-18-2017, 12:07 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Re: New daytona owner

Quote:
For suspension, the main isssue is that the steering wheel wobbles when you hit bumps. I don't think it's the colum as I can grab the wheel and try to shake it with my hands, but it doesn't move. I think it's something underneath like the rack or struts. I am going to get it in the air tomorrow to scope it out, but if anyone has an idea, please let me know.
The first thing I would check would be that the steering rack bolts are all tight. There are 4 bolts that hold the rack to the K-frame and they are bad about getting loose and then being left loose. If left loose long enough they can ruin the welded on nuts inside the k-frame or even snap off leaving you with a drill and tap scenario. That would be my first check. Inner tie rods next and those control arm bushings. The steering racks dont often wear out but the do tend to leak at the steering shaft seal, and if run low on fluid for long periods, it will ruin the gears/pinion and it's bearing...then the rack is worn out but might be able to be rebuilt, kits are available.

Quote:
The car has a very soft suspension, which is weird as my 86 and much stiffer suspension. I can push down on the hood of the car, and the car bounces pretty easily. I am thinking the shocks and struts may need to be replaced. You guys use autozone type struts or other ones? Car will remain stock, and will be used for cruising around.
Struts in the front are probably just worn out. KYB makes a good equal to factory ride strut and shock, but some may disagree. I personally like them and they are very affordable. If you want a very firm ride, like for autocrossing, then try to source a set of the original Formula GP struts and shocks. They are quite firm. You can try looking up the car on RockAuto and see what they have as well, Mondor, Gabriel, and maybe others are still widely available. You can get adjustable coil overs as well including Koni and some custom setups...but they are way way more expensive, like $1200+ for a set all round or more.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-18-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Awesome.. thanks for the suggestions. Just looking to get this car back to stock performance. It's not really going to be a racer, auto cross car. Just for cruises, car shows, and maybe some road trips down the road. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Well just worked on the car. The bolts for the rack were tight, and the tie rods looked good. The thing I noticed is that on the passenger side cv axle, in between the 2 boots there was a ton of grease on the axle. I shook the axles but it didn't wobble at all. The driverside one had a little play in it when I shook it. I decided to take the axles out and going to put new ones in tomorrow. Car has a little bit more rust then I thought. Had a struggle with some bolts, but it was pretty straight forward. I am also going to ditch that intermediate axle that the passenger side goes into, and just get the extra long non turbo axle from autozone. Also the struts look pretty bad. Think I may pick up some as well.

Question about the struts..

I have been working on corvettes for the past 5-6 yrs so I am use to leaf springs and shocks. I have the 2 bottom bolts loose. I assume there is just one at the strut tower. Now when I loosen that, will the spring decompress, or will it still be 1 unit when it comes out? I don't have a spring compressor tool, and don't wan to risk getting killed. If it comes out as 1 unit, I will just take the assemblies to the local shop here and have install the new struts with the springs.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

at the top , the nut on the center of the upper end of the strut .. yeah , DON'T unthread that nut

take out the small ones around it to remove the strut and spring
then go get a spring compressor
post #6 of 16 Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Now autozone has 80.00 struts for the Shelby car, or 40.00 struts for the non turbo car. Are there really that big of a difference between the 2 to warrant the extra 80.00??
post #7 of 16 Old 09-19-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

And another stupid question most likely.

Now these axles go right into the transmission right? There isn't no differential? So when you refil the trans after
Do u just fill it with trans fluid or other fluid? I remember for some reason using motor oil in my 86 Shelby back in the day. Also if I remember the full plug is located in the driverside wheel well area and is just a little plastic plug? Sorry for the dumb questions just been a while.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS

The suggested factory fill is 30w engine oil, non-synthetic. RedLine MTL is also popular as is the GM synchromesh fluid. Factory fill up till 86 was Dextron II/ATF but it proved to be too thin and leaking was a problem, so sometime in 86/87 they switched to 30W.

Yes, the filler plug is on the drivers side, behind the splash guard.

The transmission does have a differential, it is inside the transmission case at the rear, and the axle splines slide into it when installed. Care is needed when installing the axles to avoid nicking and tearing the axle seals.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

and when you fill the trans , drive it around the block and check it again
it might still be low - because there is a bit of a dam between the diff section of the case and the trans section

you have to get the oil over that dam to fill the diff until the fluid level is constant through out the case
post #10 of 16 Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Awesome.. will do. Picked up es axles this morning, and es struts as well. I am going to put a little bit of grease on the outside ends of the cv axles before I put them back into the hubs. I was not going to grease the side that goes into the trans though.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Well the car runs and drives, but still has a bad wobble. It really needs a alignment now as well. One thing I noticed is that with the new struts, the shop that I had install the springs only got the center bolt to go down 2 threads on the strut bolt. Not sure if that is normal or not. I did not look at the old struts to see. I put that passenger side long axle in and got rid of that intermediate shaft, and when I did the driverside axle, I noticed the new one had a circle piece on the shaft that has 2 Allen screws holding it together.. the stock driverside one I took out did not have that on it. Not sure what's the purpose of it?

So next step will be getting an alignment. After that I am going to swap out my control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and motor mounts. For the bushings, I see that autozone has energy suspension ones. Are they a direct fit?
post #12 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Replaced the radiator motor mount. When I get home from work going to do the passenger one as it looks really bad. Question is that on that poly website, it gives instructions to replace it. It says to use a piece of wood and jack up on the oil pan aft r you remove the 2 bolts to get the motto off the mount.. coming from the corvette world that does not sound right to me. We can jack up on the oil pans saftley??
post #13 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandsport2013 View Post
Replaced the radiator motor mount. When I get home from work going to do the passenger one as it looks really bad. Question is that on that poly website, it gives instructions to replace it. It says to use a piece of wood and jack up on the oil pan aft r you remove the 2 bolts to get the motto off the mount.. coming from the corvette world that does not sound right to me. We can jack up on the oil pans saftley??
Yep. I've done it many times. Nice thing about a steel oil pan.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Love this board!!
post #15 of 16 Old 09-29-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Replaced the pass motor mount, and the driverside trans mount as well as the front mount. Must say those 3 mounts made a huge difference in the way the car drives and feels. Also replaced the rear shocks. The wheel still bounces around, but the alignment is way off. That is the next step. Thanks everyone for the help. Was very happy with how the car runs after replacing the pass motor mount and the trans mount!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page