L-body torque steer? - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 09-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Re: L-body torque steer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8sr4u View Post
What about a lsd? I want to eventually run 13-14psi with na pistons in a 2.5. I don't want a one wheel burnout destroying my trans.
You better make sure your tune is spot on. Those NA pistons are pretty fragile. Won't take kindly to detonation. I'm sure you've heard that before, just warning you...

Only LSD available now is a Quaife, which will only fit the 555 & 568. But they are like $1300, and won't fit a 520/555 hybrid. You might get lucky and find an OBX, they are more like $400(as built) to $500(upgraded to live), and they fit the 520 & 523...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 81 Dodge Omni Miser
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Garage

Only 5-6 psi on premium. 12-14 psi on race gas or octane boost. Also do you have any suggestions for a spot for an intercooler? I will be running a/c. I know the car should have one, but can't find a spot and I don't want to do a bunch of cutting or have it hang down.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
Only 5-6 psi on premium. 12-14 psi on race gas or octane boost. Also do you have any suggestions for a spot for an intercooler? I will be running a/c. I know the car should have one, but can't find a spot and I don't want to do a bunch of cutting or have it hang down.
Intercoolers on an Omni can be a bit problematic, especially if you want to keep it stock looking & keep the grill. Do a lot of measuring for the space you have, and then start looking around for a front mount that will fit.

Wasn't much of an issue on the Scamp. The 2 doors have room behind the nose to mount an intercooler...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 AM
TD is love, TD is life

Only Omni that came stock with an intercooler was 86 GLHS, unless you can find that radiator, intercooler, hoses, intake box, etc.., you'll have to be creative.

post #20 of 28 Old 09-30-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

What is max boost non-intercooled? My computer is a 91 mp spec for a 2.5 and 91 2.5 cars are non-intercooled.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
What is max boost non-intercooled? My computer is a 91 mp spec for a 2.5 and 91 2.5 cars are non-intercooled.
On pump gas with N/A pistons??? I wouldn't go over 5-7 psi. Even that may be pushing it.

With turbo pistons, you can run 10-11 psi. My TI Daytona shows 11-12 psi on the boost gauge at maximum, but it only holds that for a few seconds, then backs it down to about 9.
post #22 of 28 Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

It has run great until once today when I was at about 70 in 3rd and there was a little rattle. It had 87 gas before turbo swap and now filling up with 93 gas and still not full strength. Boost reference is ran straight to waste gate and that won't change without race gas.
post #23 of 28 Old 09-30-2017, 11:00 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Quote:
It has run great until once today when I was at about 70 in 3rd and there was a little rattle.

Rattle? That's probably knock...

Knock is what kills the pistons.
post #24 of 28 Old 10-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1986 Omni GLHS

Garage

Did you replace the CV shafts? Under a load a bad cv shaft will bind where the good cv shaft does not. The good one will pull ahead of the bad one and create the torque steer sensation. Usually there is a shake also, so this is just something to consider.

I have ridden in a "L" body with a boosted 2.5. The owner said it didnt have torque steer but i saw the steering wheel. It pulled hard one way under power. Its the opinion of the owner but without a carrier bearing a "L" body will pull hard one way whether it is considered "bad" torque steer or not. It is hard to find 525 carrier bearings and i will buy all the good ones that i can find. If anyone is selling i am buying.

Also, making a intercooler/radiator setup fit out of another T2 isnt that hard. Everything is longer but it will still fit by removing the thermostat housing temporarily for installation and changing the position of the oil pressure sender. Also you will need to drill one hole for a mounting bolt along to top edge of the radiator. I cant explain this but you will know what i am talking about when you are doing the conversion. Dont be scared and buy a combo setup. I think they are around $150 if the market hasn't changed.

The later factory T2 setup fits the omni with the AC compressor. The top radiator hose runs right next to the compressor but it fits. The lower hose for the radiator will most likely need to be a custom spliced together piece. Also, the omni has a outlet on the driver side of the radiator for the heater core. I threaded a pipe in place of the petcock drain on the passenger side and ran a extended hose over for the heater core. Only a trained eye will know that it doesnt belong. Fits like a glove
post #25 of 28 Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

tryingbe
My dad said it was knock. I was going about 70 in 3rd with not full premium. When the car has full premium it should run fine.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Boostaholic

you've probably already hurt it. if you hear knock on a boosted engine its probably too late, especially with N/A pistons youe probably already cracked a ringland.
post #27 of 28 Old 10-02-2017, 05:09 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1986 Omni GLHS

Garage

Oh my gosh no, dont stress the guy out. Busted ring landings are a problem and you should always be concerned about them but just because you ping doesnt mean you killed it. People boost N/A engines all the time. Just play it safe and dont get power hungry.

Maybe pull some timing out to be safe? Where do you have base timing?

Like you said, better gas will help but you already have 93 mix in there. 12 DBTD is the factory setting for a boosted engine but with N/A pistons maybe try 5 to start testing... Boost makes more power than timing anyways.

Dont forget to unplug that water temp for timing adjustment
post #28 of 28 Old 10-02-2017, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

ratrace427
11-12 BTDC is the current timing
My dad said the ping was at the worst situation. I was passing someone, so rpm was up for an extended period of time. This was a small ping. I did not even notice, but my dad informed me of it. This was not full premium, so at full premium, I should be okay.

My dad calculated that our other car that is running about 12.5psi with turbo pistons is running a higher effective compression ratio than my car. I do not know my exact boost, but the boost reference is run straight to wastegate, so it should be 5 psi. I have heard the mitsu runs a little more boost than what it was setup for and I was at a really high rpm, so I'm estimating that I was @ 6-7 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
l-body , omni , torque steer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page