L-body torque steer? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 81 Dodge Omni Miser
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Garage
L-body torque steer?

I recently got my 81 Omni running after a turbo swap. I am running a 2.5, a mitsu, n/a pistons, a MP sbec, 90 Horizon k-member + control arms + manual rack(the plastic bushing was replaced), 93 Sundance brakes + struts + knuckles + front springs, and the boost reference is ran straight to the waste gate, so I should be running 5 or 6 psi of boost.
My dad and I have both driven my Omni and when you get on the throttle the car pulls left. When you let off the throttle, the car pulls right, but when braking, the car moves straight. We have checked the bushings and my dad shook the wheel back and forth. It was all fine except a very slight amount of play in the passenger side wheel. My dad said that we can get a wheel bearing and it might fix the issue, but I was wondering if it was torque steer.

I do not want to hear that I should swap to a Garrett or use turbo pistons. The car runs fine and I want the mitsu turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-26-2017, 04:50 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

Re: L-body torque steer?

'torque steer' seems to be magnified by wear in various suspension components,
including wheel bearings, LCA bushings, tie rod ends, etc. etc.

how is the steering /handling otherwise ? does it wander or follow road ruts ? struts decent, etc. ?

my old SC was really a wanderer,
had a bad wheel bearing which wasn't making noise but had play..
post #3 of 28 Old 09-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

check the rear wheel bearings as well. I had some that weren't torqued properly and the car would move. Worn out shocks can do it as well as upper strut bearings too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-26-2017, 06:49 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Engine: 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8sr4u View Post
when you get on the throttle the car pulls left. When you let off the throttle, the car pulls right, but when braking, the car moves straight.[/B]
What you experienced is from worn out bushings, strut mounts, engine mounts, and/or bearings. Check them all.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-26-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Ball joints, outer tie rod ends, struts and mounts are new. Control arm bushings are new poly. Verified all bushings, ball joints, etc. are tight but noticed very slight play in RF wheel bearing. Got one (well 2) on order. Clarification: car doesn't actually pull right on coast. Just because of the correction under throttle. Coast or braking it's straight as an arrow. Only under throttle, it pulls left. Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 Shelby Charger
Engine: 84 Rampage 2.2 Prospecter

Does the car have the equal length axle on the passenger side. Someone could have replaced it with a long axle which can cause torque steer. 81 model would not be a turbo car from the factory so maybe the axle never got changed to the equal length one.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-27-2017, 11:28 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 81 turismo 2.2
Engine: Dodge 2.2
Induct: S/C
1/4: 14.600

What about the wheel alignment? I have an 81 with a Supercharger. Long P/S half shaft. It pulls right a little under hard acceleration. I did inner and outer tie rods and had it aligned
post #8 of 28 Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

moparracer 35
My omni does not have equal length axles. I have heard bad things with equal length axles and want to keep the non-equal length axles. My dad and I did the turbo conversion. I have seen that some people have had torque steer with un-equal length and some people haven't. Someone claimed that with perfect alignment and parts in good shape, there should be no torque steer. I am okay with it if it's torque steer, but want to make sure there is nothing wrong or if that is just the result of a turbo 2.5 with non-equal length axles.
detomaso2.2
We checked the alignment and it is toed out less than an 1/8 in and barely any negative camber(can't go much too much farther because I am running out of adjustment).
post #9 of 28 Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

I'm running a 2.5 TII setup with +40 injectors, and a big FMIC in my Scamp. I went with the unequal length setup, and at 12 psi of boost, I don't get unreasonable torque steer. But I also have an OBX diff, so it loads both sides pretty equal. I'm not there yet, but the goal is 300 hp. This thing is a beast when the boost hits... I'm still sorting a few things, but plan to turn it up to 18+ psi once I get the package all sorted...

The 2.5 is a torque motor. It will pull hard in a lightweight L-body...

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #10 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

83scamp
The 2.5 is definitely a torquey motor, only running 5 psi, but eventually will run 13-14 psi. I need an 555 with an lsd first though. What trans are you running?
post #11 of 28 Old 09-28-2017, 08:58 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Torque Steer thread.
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...mni-turbo.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
My car is a 85 GLH with poly bushings control arms, Koni coilover with camber plates, and lots of other parts. I have an OBX LSD in a A555 with A520 3.5 FD. I tried many different engine and turbo setup, so let me share with you my experience with torque steer.

I had a 2.5L with a T04E 50 trim, stage I turbine wheel, a/r .48, torque steer was horrible and engine had no top end. Tried two different heads, FWD ported head and MPGmike ported head. Ran a best of 102mph, did not dyno. Torque peak was probably 3300rpm, and max HP was probably 3800rpm. Used equal length axles, did not help. Changed to unequal length axles for strength.

Then, I put in a 2.2L with a super ported cylinder head, T04E 50 trim, stage II turbine wheel, a/r .63, torque steer was less, way more top end power. 110mph at the end of the 1/4mile and made 290whp with 290 lb ft of torque. Torque peak was between 4500 - 4800rpm.

Then, turbo sized for unknown reason, so I put in a T04B V trim, stage II turbine wheel, a/r .63. Same alignment settings as above, torque steer is now non-existence, and about the same top end power. Have not dyno nor ran a 1/4 mile with it.

My theory with torque steer is that the more sudden raise of torque, the more you will notice the torque steer while gradual rise of torque give you more control so less noticeable torque steer, given your suspension parts are good and your alignment setting is good. Sorry, don't have any quick answer for you.

post #12 of 28 Old 09-29-2017, 06:37 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
83scamp
The 2.5 is definitely a torquey motor, only running 5 psi, but eventually will run 13-14 psi. I need an 555 with an lsd first though. What trans are you running?
You don't need a 555. In fact, the 3.85 FD is too much for a lightweight L-body, unless you are strictly drag racing.

I am running an A-520 with the 3.50 FD. I installed an OBX LSD in it. It has more than enough torque to easily spin both front wheels. Unfortunately, OBX has recently discontinued that diff...

If I were you, I'd find a good A-520, install a chromoly end plate, and call it good.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-29-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

What about 555 with 520 final drive? I know where to get a 555 and we have have a few 520s. I plan for this to be a fun daily. I want to drive it to college next year. Thanks for the quick responses. I am trying to better understand my car and I have a project where I have to write about a community, so I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Find out what's going on with my car and get info for my project. The wheel bearing can be will be replaced, but I can tolerate the torque steer. I plan to take my driver's test in this car. Hopefully the instructor doesn't freak if the car pulls left. I can sort of keep my foot out of it, but 5psi by 3000rpm easy. Only running 5/6psi.
post #14 of 28 Old 09-29-2017, 11:18 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
What about 555 with 520 final drive? I know where to get a 555 and we have have a few 520s. I plan for this to be a fun daily. I want to drive it to college next year. Thanks for the quick responses. I am trying to better understand my car and I have a project where I have to write about a community, so I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Find out what's going on with my car and get info for my project. The wheel bearing can be will be replaced, but I can tolerate the torque steer. I plan to take my driver's test in this car. Hopefully the instructor doesn't freak if the car pulls left. I can sort of keep my foot out of it, but 5psi by 3000rpm easy. Only running 5/6psi.

You can build a "hybrid" by combining the two. Not sure it's worth the hassle, especially if you have a good 520. Truth is, a 520 isn't that much weaker than a 555. So unless you plan on doing a lot of 4K rpm clutch drops, the 520 should suit you well.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-29-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

What about a lsd? I want to eventually run 13-14psi with na pistons in a 2.5. I don't want a one wheel burnout destroying my trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
l-body , omni , torque steer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page