'85 GLH Turbo ( original a/c car) ride height - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

1/4: 0.000

'85 GLH Turbo ( original a/c car) ride height

Need some advice please......I have an '85 GLH Turbo that was an original a/c car. The a/c stuff has been removed and the front ride height is too high. Will these springs work on my GLH. I know they will physically fit but what can I expect from handling/ ride feel etc......the springs are from rockauto and are listed as AC Delco 45H1006 front springs for 1985, 2.2L ,manual trans, base model, se model except air cond. I suspect these will get the car leveled out more. Nothing listed under the 2.2l turbo tab of the Omni for coil springs. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 05:52 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.800

Re: '85 GLH Turbo ( original a/c car) ride height

I doubt removing the <100# of A/C was the cause for your perceived ride height issue.

all non-GLH springs *should* be a little 'softer'.

I suggest removing 1/2 coil at a time from your front springs until you get the height you want ..
post #3 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

non glh / shelby charger springs should be softer .. but should also ride one inch higher
glh and shelby charger were built to ride one inch lower than a non glh /shelby charger

so .. thirty years into the future the issue may just be that you already had a car with the non turbo front springs that somehow got put into the car , sometime??

what size tires are on it? and how much clearance up to the wheel well lip ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Hybrid Booster

I would not recommend changing to an aftermarket spring. It will more than likely INCREASE ride height. As stated the GLH/SC had a more heavy duty spring and a lowered ride height. True the non-AC GLH/SC used a slightly softer spring which lowered the car a hair. This is exactly what some enthusiasts did to lower their ride heights years ago on AC equipped cars.
What I have found is after changing out struts many people replace the upper strut mounts. These aftermarket mounts can substantially increase ride height. Your original strut mount has slowly sagged over the last 30+ years. Most strut mounts are of questionable quality. Many don't last long after install.
Like Detobias suggested, if you want ride height lowered you could cut springs some. I ended up with around 3/4 of coil cut off on one of mine. You need to secure lower spring to strut after doing so, but that is an easy modification to do. 1/2 coil at a time is sound advice! Easier to cut a couple times than to have to replace springs because GLH is now too low. Even GLH/SC used springs are getting tough to find. I know someone that was going to buy a entire low dollar GLH to get the springs off of the car. Fortunately he found some springs before resorting to that.

I have several GLHT's to compare your heights to mine. What is height of middle of wheel well on both L+R sides of your too high GLHT? Post up your results.

Todd
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Thank you guys.....appreciate the caution on changing the springs. Tomorrow I will measure the height and report back!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comnigo View Post
Thank you guys.....appreciate the caution on changing the springs. Tomorrow I will measure the height and report back!
When you report back, also note whether your GLH has 195's or 205's on it. There was on average 3/4 inch in tire height between the two tire sizes. IMO, after seeing 195's and 205's on GLH's, the 195's look too short to me.
Same thing on the early Shadows. 87 ES/CSX had short 205/50/15's and 89 ES/CSX had either taller 195/60/15's or 225/50/15's. The later being about a full inch difference in tire height. It makes quite a difference on how they fill up the wheel wells.

Todd
post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

My GLH Turbo has 205/50-15's.

I took 2 measurements per wheel. 1: From the ground through the center face of the wheel to the fender lip edge.
2: Same as above but from the top of the wheel edge to the fender lip edge.

1: LF= 24-3/4"
1: RF= 24-5/8"
1: LR= 23-13/16"
1: RR= 23-7/8"

2: LF= 5-7/8"
2: RF= 5-3/4"
2: LR= 4-11/16"
2: RR= 4-3/4"

I made sure to have no extra weight in the trunk except for spare and jacking stuff and 1/2 tank of gas. Thanks for your advice! nick
post #8 of 10 Old 05-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
My GLH Turbo has 205/50-15's.

I took 2 measurements per wheel. 1: From the ground through the center face of the wheel to the fender lip edge.
2: Same as above but from the top of the wheel edge to the fender lip edge.

1: LF= 24-3/4"
1: RF= 24-5/8"
1: LR= 23-13/16"
1: RR= 23-7/8"
I made sure to have no extra weight in the trunk except for spare and jacking stuff and 1/2 tank of gas. Thanks for your advice! nick
Okay Nick,
I took two measurements on front of my GLH's and three on the rear.

#1 85 non-ac GLHT 49k miles 205/50/15 Koni struts and shocks w/MP autocross front spring and LRE rear springs.
LF 23-5/8"
RF 23-3/4"
LR 24.0"
RR 24.0

#2 85 GLHT AC car 50K miles. Stock GLHT springs with Koni rear shocks. Front stock OEM struts. 205/50/15
LF 24-3/8"
RF 24.0"
LR 24 5/16"
RR 24 3/8"

# 3 Rear only 86 GLHT 37K miles 195/50/15
Koni rear shocks.
LR 24 5/16"
RR 24 1/2"

The ride height is lowered 3/4" with Koni shocks vs. OEM shocks. See attachments.

IMO, your not that far off on the front. My guess is that the strut mounts have been replaced in your car at some point causing it to be a bit higher than normal. More importantly, it looks like your rear springs have sagged quite a bit. If you have OEM shocks (not Koni shocks) your rear ride height seems to be like about an inch too low (depending on rear shock spring perch). Your rear is lower than LRE lowering springs combined with Koni rear shocks (my #1)! A bone stock GLHT would be slightly over 25" on the rear (using 205/50/15's). Another possibility is that you have Shelby Charger rear shocks on your vehicle. They used a different rear shock. I've seen plenty of Chrysler FWD vehicles over the years with sagging rear ends.

Brand new 86 GLHS's always looked like rear end was sagging compared to their GLHT brothers because of the rear Koni spring perch location.

Pics below show difference in Koni and OEM shock spring perch height. Hope this info helps you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8181.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	253925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8180.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	253927  

Todd

Last edited by 4 L-bodies; 05-03-2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added info
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Garrett Booster

Todd, thxs. I will check the rear set up. Maybe it is the rear sag that is making it look like the nose is too high. I definitely look forward to getting the right stance on this car.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Todd, thxs. I will check the rear set up. Maybe it is the rear sag that is making it look like the nose is too high. I definitely look forward to getting the right stance on this car.
On my 3rd GLH, I ended up cutting 3/4 coil off stock GLHT front springs so car didn't look like it was squatting in the rear like the GLHS Omni's. You may end up doing the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page