Shaking in reverse - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-23-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: LeBaron GTC 1989
1/4: 0.000

Shaking in reverse

Hi guys
Le Baron T2 1989 manual

After rebuilding the engine, including new clutch/plate (LUK 05-060), bolts (ARP), flywheel milled, clutch cable, all rubber mounts.... soon these problems arised:

1) The self adjustment is not working properly, so cable loses tension. This is a point of irritation since shifting gets more weary, but I have gotten used to pressing the clutch pedal 2-3 times and then it works normally. I have tried to pull the clutch pedal backwards (something I read somewhere) but it does not help. Also I tried putting in an extra washer where the cable meets the arm. Thinking about replacing the clutch cable for something with manual tensioner, is it a good idea?

2) However, it works much worse in reverse. It started with the engine shaking slightly in certain positions/combinations of pedals - but was still manageable.
Now it has gotten terrible. I can always get the reverse gear in (after 2-3 pedals to the bottom) but now I can almost not go in reverse. The whole car shakes and the smell of burnt clutch can be felt around the block. By now, I feel like I can go reverse maybe 10 times more and then the whole thing will blow up or something. Last time it was like the gear, though in place, did not engage at all- only the shakes.

I had none of these problems before the engine rebuild. I am not a beginner with cars but this one beats me. I have thought of a few possible explanations (low oil in trans? alignment? vibration dampers?) but none of them make sense since I believe they should affect the forward gears too.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 AM
#DriveTastefully

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: Shaking in reverse

Have a buddy apply the clutch and have a look at how it engages the clutch arm, see if it's pulling it near all the way up, and releasing it all the way down. Inspect the cable and where it mounts. If it's not fully pulling the clutch arm up and letting it release fully, I would then disassembly the clutch cable and self-adjustment and check to see that the cable moves freely, and that no teeth are missing on the self-adjustment block.

Next, remove the air box and inspect shift linkage. You can remove the linkages and shift the trans by hand, see if all gears engage smoothly

If everything is great, I suggest you have a clutch problem, even though it is new, something could have springs could have failed something came loose, ie. flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts,
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: Shaking in reverse

I assume you are saying the "shaking in reverse" is when the clutch is engaged.
The engine torques differently in forward and reverse gears, check the engine mounts for damage or not being properly secured/centered.

Shaking in reverse-trans-clutch-cable-1.jpg

Shaking in reverse-trans-clutch-cable-2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page