A413 Gear Selector Shaft won't turn - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Transmission, Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels This Dodge forum includes modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of manual and automatic transaxles, shifters, torque converters, flexplates, flywheels, ring gears, axles, and differentials including open, friction, and Q. This forum also includes modification, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of the above parts and how to tune them for better traction and handling. Also includes wheel bearings and hubs, wheel studs and nuts, wheel spacers, and other related items. Sponsored by Discount Tire

1Likes
  • 1 Post By John83Rampage

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Rampage Base Carb
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 0.000

Garage
A413 Gear Selector Shaft won't turn

Howdy all!

Have had an issue where the gear shift lever in the floor console shifts abnormal. Doesn't click fully upwards parallel into P and subsequent gears (R-N-D-2) click about 1/2" below the console indicators. Will not even click into 1. Took the console cover off & was able to click it into 1st. The few times that I've driven the car have had problems with it going into reverse (takes about 4 to5 seconds to engage). I haven't driven the car fast enough where I could feel if it was shifting through the gears normally or not.

All that I've done to the AT is change the filter, fluid (ATF+4), the gear shift cable & the throttle cable. When I did this I checked the gear selector shaft lever and it did turn from what I thought at the time was normal, from P to 1. I also did adjust the kickdown & low-reverse bands...

Yesterday I decided to try to resolve the issue of the console gear shift lever so I disconnected both cables from the top of the AT. The TV shaft only rotates 1/8" in the selector shaft and the selector shaft will not bulge at all!

I think what I need to do is drop the pan & pull the valve body and possibly also the governor. I'm a noob at this but I'm assuming that dirt/debris has caused some valves to get stuck and because of this the shaft(s) won't turn???

Please advise if I'm on the right course with this and any recommendations you may have such as what I need to watch for and should or shouldn't do.

Really appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: A413 Gear Selector Shaft won't turn

I am not a trans guy but one of my "pet peeves" on this site is "unanswered threads".

This is the best I can do for you, Good Luck!!!

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #3 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

NAJ
As always many thanks for your response and help!

I do have the FSM for my year but like the above images it doesn't go into any detail regarding the shafts.

This is why I was hoping someone with AT experience would respond with some pointers.

When I tested the gear selector shaft before replacing the cables the engine was off.

What's puzzling to me is that it would shift while the engine was running but now, with the engine off and the cables disconnected, the gear selector shaft won't bulge nary a bit! This is why I'm thinking that the governor and probably for sure the valve body have stuck valve(s)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 PM
NAJ
Just A Guy

At the least drain and remove the pan and take a look inside while attempting to move the shift lever.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

No drain on the AT. It's going to be messy when I loosen the pan but I gotta do what I gotta do.

A little voice told me to use a cork gasket when I originally changed the filter. At least I won't have to deal with scrapping off the old RTV!

Might as well order a new filter & screens and hope that will be all that I'll need...

Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

The only drain I have ever seen on a trans pan was on the Jeep Cherokees (up to 2002) with a 4.0L and the Asian Borg-Warner Trans.

Other than that it has always been remove bolts from one side, and slowly loosen the bolts on the other side to allow the pan to slowly drop and drain into a pan or oil drain.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

Update on my progress:

Finally dropped the pan and removed the valve body. Used a can of brake cleaner to degrease it, spraying in any orifices to clean out any ATF . There was still a black film on it so used 1/2 can of acetone with a toothbrush to clean it further.

Found that now I could move the gear selector shaft by hand!

Took it inside to the good ol' kitchen table & this is what I found:

Pic#1 Not a good omen of things to come! Valve Body screws with black goo on them.
Pic# 2, 3 & 4 Opened Valve body up & found this. More black goo in the passages.
Pic#5 Old & new oil screen. The old one had even ruptured on the side!

After seeing this Snafu I definitely need to pull the governor as it's probably Fubar also.

So this is where I'm at now with the shifting issue. Need more brake cleaner to clean this mess up.

Will update further...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6412.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	255039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6416.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	255041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6415.JPG
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	255043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6414.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	255045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6411.JPG
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	255047  

NAJ likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Garage

Update on Valve Body A413

Finally got the valve body cleaned up & reassembled. Some of the small channels & metering holes were definitely clogged with black goo!

Found using thinner cleaned the black film & goo better than brake cleaner & acetone. However I rinsed everything with acetone to remove any thinner residue.

The manual valve had an issue in that it was sticking in the bore when the shift lever tried to move it into 1st gear or maybe it's Park? This could have been why the floor console shift lever would not go all way into "P". A light sanding with some 2000 grit sandpaper on the end ring of the valve seemed to cure the problem.

Reassembled everything after coating the valves and any moving parts with ATF. Didn't forget it's new filter!

All ready to reinstall but the governor needs attention first! Too dang hot (100F) to do it now but should cool down to mid 90's in a week or so, I hope...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6515.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	255131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6516.JPG
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	255133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6532.JPG
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	255135  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Name:  popcorn.gif.7269c3dfdb90ce246fbdbed7eb9b3019.gif
Views: 9
Size:  2.9 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page