1990 Dodge Dakota Turbo Build - Page 5 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Project Log Post your project logs here

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 80 Old 04-03-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 90 Dakota w T swap
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Re: 1990 Dodge Dakota Turbo Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
Could you please elaborate on the source for your turbo exhaust housing? Are more available?
Do you mean the swing valve? The stock exhaust exits in the opposite direction than is desired for the engine mounting configuration, so the swing valve cast unit was cut and then material was added and welded to allow the exit to point more towards the rear of the engine.

Here is a picture of the modified 2.25" next to a stock 2.5". You can see the modifications on the mounted swing valve

Hope that answers your question.
INSATANSSEAT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 1992 Daytona R/T
Engine: 2.2 TIII

Garage

Yes. Well, sort of. Did you do the modification? What type of filler material and welding wire/shielding gas did you use for the cast iron? Did you heat it up first?

Thanks for the response.
post #63 of 80 Old 04-05-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
Yes. Well, sort of. Did you do the modification? What type of filler material and welding wire/shielding gas did you use for the cast iron? Did you heat it up first?

Thanks for the response.
No I didn't, which limits my knowledge of how it was done. It does look like it was mended together with an oxy torch, rather than a tig, but i'm sure both would work fine with a proper pre-heat. I would have attempted it myself, but I only have a 120V mig in the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 80 Old 06-15-2018, 09:55 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
Wow. Johny! Your a genius. There are like a thousand top halves sitting around peoples garages. Looneytuner has one by me. He installed a Lengel unit.
I'm looking to buy an upper half if you still know of one floating around. I posted a WTB in the forum here.

GKC
INSATANSSEAT likes this.
post #65 of 80 Old 06-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Garage

Any updates on this thread? I started my Turbo project this past weekend. If you know who made that swing-valve I want to contact them.
post #66 of 80 Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 PM
TD Hardcore User!

You might want to consider looking for an ATP swing valve.

Not sure if they are still made for Chrysler's but someone might have one.

Thanks
Randy

EG: https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...-made-atp.html
post #67 of 80 Old 06-20-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

As far as updates, I have been driving the truck just about daily right now. Almost have my ostrich tune running happily. Only issue is that I do have a good amount of blow-by at idle that I can feel with my palm even when the oil cap is off. Not happy, but compression is fine, and I've extensively vented the valve cover to avoid any issues until I am able to get a good leak-down tester from someone, and maybe a budget to tear back into the engine to investigate. I suppose it wouldn't be a project if there wasn't always something to do.
As far as the swing-valve goes, i'm sorry I wont be of any help. I've tried contacting the guy myself with no luck. Like I said before, it is just a 2.25" that was cut down the middle and then welded back together for the required bend. If you take it to a good backyard welder and explain your wants and needs with a stock piece i'm sure he could probably get what your looking for in an afternoon.
Best of luck to ya!
post #68 of 80 Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

garret now make reverse rotation turbos .. so there's that option ...
post #69 of 80 Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Greg, I will try to ask Bill if he want's to sell his. I don't know how often he gets on here anymore.
post #70 of 80 Old 06-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Level 2 Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
Greg, I will try to ask Bill if he want's to sell his. I don't know how often he gets on here anymore.
OK, LMK.

Thanks.
post #71 of 80 Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 AM
TD New Guy

Nice write-up. Enjoyed your thought process and all done on a typical hot Rodgers shoe string budget. Well done. All the best PanDragger
post #72 of 80 Old 04-28-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Right,

Its been quite some time since I have added to this thread but now I've got more to throw up. Just moved to another job so things got in the way but long story short.... The engine is back out....
I had issues with blow-by before but just continued to run the truck with an extreme amount of ventilation coming from the valve cover just to keep her on the road for the time being. As for the cause, my official guess is that I dusted the engine on a longer drive across Eastern Washington where I was caught in a dust storm (Yes we have those in Washington) and did not exactly have the most secure of air filters. I try not to dwell on the fact that I didn't do a good walk around before setting off. The past is in the past.
I now reside in Iowa which is a not so exciting change but I now have time and money to put into this engine, along with the abundant supply of E85 at the pump!

So! I pulled the engine last week and didn't wait to tear it down. Much easier the seventh time you've done it.

The bearings have definitely been scored and even though I didn't have a knock it was on its way. Cylinders also had a flat spot on the same side on each one and the obvious scoring all the way down! I sucked something gnarly into this thing. Keep your air filters clean and connected! I am simply going to take this an a learning opportunity. Luckily I couldn't catch a nail on any of the marks to a good hone should do it.

Moving on!

I have never been entirely keen on the engine bay condition so I've decided to give it a fresh coat of paint. I didn't want anything fancy but something that looked pretty clean. Decided on a gunmetal/ grey colour. Easy enough.

Before:

A bit lazy on pulling the wiring off the wall but it should be good enough

And the final colour:

Its a rattle can job but it looks cleaner than it did before. I did take the time to wet sand between each coats and will probably throw on a clear when its all said and done. Currently have the block and crank at the machine shop. Old guy at the shop said it could just be polished up and sent back so that's the route i'm going to take.

So there's a shortish and sweet update on this build. The goal here is to have it back up and running, break it in and then tune it for E85.
Waiting on some more OBD connectors to get in so I can record knock and such but it should be a fun experience.
INSATANSSEAT likes this.
post #73 of 80 Old 05-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: '89 Dodge Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5L | Dead
Induct: N/A

Looks good! Plan on running it on E85? I'm running my PT GT and SRT-4 on corn, night and day difference.
post #74 of 80 Old 05-02-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockSyno View Post
Looks good! Plan on running it on E85? I'm running my PT GT and SRT-4 on corn, night and day difference.
E85 for sure. I've never messed with it before but I have the ostrich so it should be a fun project tuning.
Was planning on having the bottom end assembled this weekend, but apparently JE pistons take a different type of ring than stock. From everything i've read its only Wiseco that does that.... So not I have a box of rings that don't fit.

Just my luck
post #75 of 80 Old 05-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

Wiseco and JE are now basically the same company. I was chatting with Mike from FM last week. He told me that the JEs are only available with TIII style rings(late 2.2 turbo), or SRT4 style rings now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2.5 , dakota , dodge , truck , turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page