Its been quite some time since I have added to this thread but now I've got more to throw up. Just moved to another job so things got in the way but long story short.... The engine is back out....
I had issues with blow-by before but just continued to run the truck with an extreme amount of ventilation coming from the valve cover just to keep her on the road for the time being. As for the cause, my official guess is that I dusted the engine on a longer drive across Eastern Washington where I was caught in a dust storm (Yes we have those in Washington) and did not exactly have the most secure of air filters. I try not to dwell on the fact that I didn't do a good walk around before setting off. The past is in the past.
I now reside in Iowa which is a not so exciting change but I now have time and money to put into this engine, along with the abundant supply of E85 at the pump!
So! I pulled the engine last week and didn't wait to tear it down. Much easier the seventh time you've done it.
The bearings have definitely been scored and even though I didn't have a knock it was on its way. Cylinders also had a flat spot on the same side on each one and the obvious scoring all the way down!
I sucked something gnarly into this thing. Keep your air filters clean and connected! I am simply going to take this an a learning opportunity. Luckily I couldn't catch a nail on any of the marks to a good hone should do it.
I have never been entirely keen on the engine bay condition so I've decided to give it a fresh coat of paint. I didn't want anything fancy but something that looked pretty clean. Decided on a gunmetal/ grey colour. Easy enough.
A bit lazy on pulling the wiring off the wall but it should be good enough
And the final colour:
Its a rattle can job but it looks cleaner than it did before. I did take the time to wet sand between each coats and will probably throw on a clear when its all said and done. Currently have the block and crank at the machine shop. Old guy at the shop said it could just be polished up and sent back so that's the route i'm going to take.
So there's a shortish and sweet update on this build. The goal here is to have it back up and running, break it in and then tune it for E85.
Waiting on some more OBD connectors to get in so I can record knock and such but it should be a fun experience.