1987 Daytona Shelby Z Project - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Project Log Post your project logs here

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 Old 02-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: 1987 Daytona Shelby Z Project

Moving along nicely Isaak! That color pops like crazy in the sun! There aren't a whole lot of t-tops cars left because of the seal shrinkage. A friend of mine had a white '86 CS t-tops that had zero floor. He sold it to someone down near Benton Illinois and they were going to do floorboards. They decided they couldn't save it and sold it to another guy, acting as though it had a good floor. They drove a long way and picked the car up at night. I met up with that current owner on Facebook when he was parting the car. My TII turbo water pipe from my GLHS that I had given my friend was still sitting in the car. Sorry for the slight de-rail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Daytona Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2L Turbo II

Garage
Part of why it amazed me how little rust the car has. I did cut a hole in the carpet in the rear passenger footwell to examine the floor pan and, while there is rust, it doesn't go all the way through and has held my weight before. When the carpet comes up it'll get a good cleanup and some sheet metal if necessary.
As for the paint, it's a fantastic color but it has typical 80's clear coat peel. When it's eventually time for a repaint I was thinking I'd repaint it to the new mopar plum crazy. I'd like to keep the car purple and I think a 2019 color will give the car a nice updated look. That being said, I want to look at some new mopars painted purple first, as I don't want the color to be too loud. I'm not going for the ricer look.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM
TD is love, TD is life

Engine: 2.2

That's not running hot, that's running lean. Cause either by bad tune, bad wiring/connection or fail injector.

Get the injectors tested before using them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 33 Old 02-20-2019, 05:23 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 86 Laser
Engine: 2.2L T2

Don't waste your time trying to clean old carpet. New carpet is cheap.
post #20 of 33 Old 03-22-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserDad View Post
Don't waste your time trying to clean old carpet. New carpet is cheap.
That carpet isn't gonna get reused. It's Bad. I do plan to clean up the floor plan under the carpet when I remove it.
post #21 of 33 Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Level 2 Supporter

If the floor doesn't have any holes, consider buying a gallon of EvapoRust, or something similar, and just pouring it onto the bare floor. That way, you don't remove any metal, and create holes.
post #22 of 33 Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Quote:
If the floor doesn't have any holes, consider buying a gallon of EvapoRust, or something similar, and just pouring it onto the bare floor. That way, you don't remove any metal, and create holes.
I was thinking some paint-over-rust. I've had good luck with that on other cars
post #23 of 33 Old 03-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Level 2 Supporter

It's so easy to chemically remove the rust, that you should do that first. I've tried the painting over it, with a PUR type paint, method and it ends up having to be redone.
post #24 of 33 Old 03-26-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage
Quote:
It's so easy to chemically remove the rust, that you should do that first. I've tried the painting over it, with a PUR type paint, method and it ends up having to be redone.
I'm certainly willing to give a rust remover a try but I've had really good success with various rust remover products on my 72 Buick. I did the brake drums with a rattle-can por and the front of the frame with brush-on POR-15. I've had mixed results with the various rust removal products I've tried.
post #25 of 33 Old 05-20-2019, 01:33 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 1992 IROC R/T
Engine: 16V

I have the t-top seals for your car NOS

sent you a PM
post #26 of 33 Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Since my last post progress has been slow. My main hangup has been on my engine. I wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do when I started the build and i've been figuring it out along the way. I recently acquired a stock rebuilt 287 head from GLHS60 which is super exciting. I disassembled my turbo to see if it was rebuildable. After getting it all apart I decided a turbo rebuild is above my head, especially without any way to balance the rotating assembly. Currently I'm trying to choose a head gasket. I've been impressed with what I read about cometic's headgaskets, but I'm overwhelmed by the options. I'd like to keep compression at 8.5:1 but without knowing the head gasket bore diameter and the cc volume of my g-head I'm not sure how to reach that number. Some searching hasn't helped me find these numbers. does anyone know these?
I've decided I want to do the PT lifter upgrade on my head, find a new cam (my '87 slider is badly worn and unusable), find a turbo, and then it's assembly time! My main concern on assembly is the vacuum system. On disassembly nearly every single vacuum line fell apart. I still have the remains of all of them but I'm unfamiliar with vacuum systems. I've decided to use the stock electronics for now, at least until I get the car running. I've never heard the car run and I'm anxious to drive it for the first time!
I also got the fourth wheel for my set of Italian 5 lug pizza wheels and I'm now searching for a shop that will refinish and widen the wheels. Has anyone ever widened stock wheels for these cars? I'd like to make them 15x6.5" so that I can at least run stock size for the Shelby Z.
Finally, I started doing a little interior work. The cloth doors were all screwed up from heavy water damage so I've decided to redo them in a dark marine vinyl. I'll post pictures once it's all finished.
post #27 of 33 Old 06-02-2019, 01:24 AM
TD Hardcore User!

Hey Isaak:

I don't remember you wanting to raise your compression ratio??

One of the G head's main benefits is it lowers the compression ratio.

Lowering the compression makes the Engine less detonation prone at higher boost.

A stock 2.2 Turbo Engine is rated at 8.1:1 where a 2.5 Turbo is 7.8:1

8.5 is getting high for our Engines and lessens the detonation safety limit considerably.

A few guys have tried 9:1 but I don't know of any who have had success.

I don't have any Cometic experience so no recommendation there.

I always run MP gaskets that compress to about .068" but they were scarce for a while.

I heard Chrysler has a replacement that covers the 005 and 006 but haven't used one.

From memory, G heads are about 56cc and swirl about 50cc, Todd will know for sure!!

Thanks
Randy

86 GLH S60
86 GLHS 373
89 Turbo Minivan
83 Rampage Turbo
post #28 of 33 Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glhs60 View Post
Hey Isaak:

Lowering the compression makes the Engine less detonation prone at higher boost.

8.5 is getting high for our Engines and lessens the detonation safety limit considerably.

I always run MP gaskets that compress to about .068" but they were scarce for a while.

I heard Chrysler has a replacement that covers the 005 and 006 but haven't used one.

From memory, G heads are about 56cc and swirl about 50cc, Todd will know for sure!!

Thanks
Randy
No, I have no desire to increase compression. What I want to do is keep my compression ratio close to the stock CR (which I read somewhere was 8.5:1). To do that though, because so much on my engine has changed from factory, I wanted to know the cc of the G-head and the bore diameter of the factory head gasket. The cometic gaskets come in a variety of compressed widths and I want to buy the size that will give me the closest to stock CR as possible that way I don't have to use a head shim.
I wasn't able to find this information easily on the forums so I thought I would ask here in case somebody knew.

Last edited by Isaakfirestar; 06-03-2019 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarify post
post #29 of 33 Old 06-04-2019, 03:53 AM
TD Hardcore User!

Good, I was concerned with your 8.5 #

Stock your compression ratio is 8.1:1 with your pistons about .018-.020" below deck.

You will have to check if and how much your block has been decked for starters.

You won't be using a head shim in any case as you will be a bit lower with the G.

To figure the exact compression ratio you'll have to cc everything and calculate.

Many don't bother as we know the combo is a proven one at a little below 8.1:1

I'm sorry I don't have my notes nearby as I haven't done any calculations in years.

As mentioned Chrysler gaskets compress to .068" but others maybe less.

Hopefully Todd will notice your thread a he keeps meticulous notes!!

Thanks
Randy

86 GLH S60
86 GLHS 373
89 Turbo Minivan
83 Rampage Turbo
post #30 of 33 Old 06-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glhs60 View Post
Hey Isaak:

Thanks
Randy
remember too that the pistons changed along with the combustion chambers

that larger G head chamber went along with a smaller dish in the piston
the smaller swirl head chamber matched up to larger dish in the piston

the later 2.2 and 2.5 used an even larger dish in the piston again

it's this last item that I feel makes tuning a G head on a 2.5 difficult

and if the 2.5 starts at 7.8 -1 then putting the G head on will only lower it again somewhat
- though I think the tuning issue might be a flame propagation issue due to the chambers and pistons not matching properly

I've run both small dish and medium large dish under a G head with no notable difference.. but never the really large dish
those really large dished pistons look like they could lack much ot the strength the small dish piston might have beyond them .. when considering the piston area above the top rings , and how much the dish is cut to almost the inner diameter of the rings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page