Performance Mod 1986 Daytona turbo z cs - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Project Log Post your project logs here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

1986 Daytona turbo z cs

Hey folks, recieved a car I've never looked for in trade the other week, and ive fallen on love with it a bit! I've had a few other 1980s sports cars (1986 Porsche 944, 1982 supra) but never a domestic! So with that being said I'll let you know what I'm doing! The car is an 86 turbo z cs edition with an automatic and the 2.2 turbo 1. In the trade I got a complete black interrior, supposed to be spotless but I'm getting it today so we will see, a full manual trans swap kit from a donor car, a spare engine, doors, extra t tops etc. So with that being said all the nice parts will be swapped onto the car but that's not all, I have a high performance intercooler, a holder hy35w turbo rebuilt, some ls1 coil on plugs, a bunch of piping, a 70mm throttle body, 650cc Bosch ev1 injectors, and a few other goodies. The 2.2 turbo will be running the big turbo on a custom intake and exhaust manifold running microsquirt with custom harness. Basically a junkyard-esque build with a budget of around $3500 and a goal of 350hp/350TQ.

Phew okay that's out of the way, now the questions...

What parts are interchangable in a manual swap? I have everything but can I use the automatic axles/hubs?

In lieu of building a custom header, will neon 2.0 srt manifolds bolt on?

Is it worth sourcing a 16v neon head for this project?

Any info from people who run megasquirt would be really apriciated, or anyone running north of 300hp with a stock or hybrid turbo!
Thanks everyone and keep on wrenching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Sorry for the double post, wired up the new injector harness for the megasquirt using the stock injector pigtails, the rebuilt holset turbo, intercooler and a collection of parts! Also the car in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191003_180617_1570372562066.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	255685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_100619_1570372574218.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	255687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_100656_1570372582589.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	255689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_100637_1570372591697.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	255691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191006_100744_1570372603314.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	255693  

post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Administrator

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 4B11T
Induct: Turbo

Re: 1986 Daytona turbo z cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanepreston110 View Post
Hey folks, recieved a car I've never looked for in trade the other week, and ive fallen on love with it a bit! I've had a few other 1980s sports cars (1986 Porsche 944, 1982 supra) but never a domestic! So with that being said I'll let you know what I'm doing! The car is an 86 turbo z cs edition with an automatic and the 2.2 turbo 1. In the trade I got a complete black interrior, supposed to be spotless but I'm getting it today so we will see, a full manual trans swap kit from a donor car, a spare engine, doors, extra t tops etc. So with that being said all the nice parts will be swapped onto the car but that's not all, I have a high performance intercooler, a holder hy35w turbo rebuilt, some ls1 coil on plugs, a bunch of piping, a 70mm throttle body, 650cc Bosch ev1 injectors, and a few other goodies. The 2.2 turbo will be running the big turbo on a custom intake and exhaust manifold running microsquirt with custom harness. Basically a junkyard-esque build with a budget of around $3500 and a goal of 350hp/350TQ.

Phew okay that's out of the way, now the questions...
Nice score! if you need any interior parts, let me know, I'm not sure how much of my interior I plan to keep.

Quote:
What parts are interchangable in a manual swap? I have everything but can I use the automatic axles/hubs?
Everything except the transmission and shifter! You may have to do some playing around with different year axles, as my memory fails me and I cannot recall if the output size is different from the 525 transmission (stock for your year) and the 520/555/568/523 variants from later years. The hubs will work with all axles of all years.

Quote:
In lieu of building a custom header, will neon 2.0 srt manifolds bolt on?
No it will not. You are pretty limited on options for upgrades on an 8v, but the good thing is, the 350WHP goal is one many have hit, and not a terribly difficult goal to achieve.

Quote:
Is it worth sourcing a 16v neon head for this project?
You could do a "hybrid" swap, but most will agree, the info for a full 2.4 swap has been around enough that the hybrid swap is just too much hassle to do for the ease of the 2.4 swap is.

Quote:
Any info from people who run megasquirt would be really apriciated, or anyone running north of 300hp with a stock or hybrid turbo!
Thanks everyone and keep on wrenching
You would definitely need a different turbo to hit above 300 WHP, as the stocker loses steam around 300 crank. The stock "TII" rods are rated to around 250 WHP, but thats also greatly dependent on your torque curve. The stock rods in an 86 TI would be a lightweight rod, not really suitable for much more than stock power, unfortunately. But with the amount of swaps and repairs people have done to these over the years, it's almost surprising to see a stock engine vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Thanks for all the info! I have a 67mm turbo out of a 2003 Dodge Cummins, so the bigger turbo is covered. As for rods I'll look into what I can source. I'd like to stick with the 8v simply because I'm working out of a driveway with limited tools (I have access to machine shops etc during work hours, I fabricate on lunch and borrow tools) and the fact that I have a complete manual swap and a spare 8v motor that came with it, and seeing as how it's a super budget project, I can't pass them off. So it looks like I will have to add rods and maybe better forged pistons to the list. Priority number one is to complete the big turbo kit and have it running on megasquirt on the engine in the car. Once I have that completed I'll swap out that motor and auto trans for the motor I'm rebuilding in my basement with the manual trans from the donor car. Stay posted more pics and updates to follow!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Yo guys and gals, took a trip to Ontario to pick up some parts from my parents house. I grabbed some Porsche 944 crank position sensors I had laying around, as well as a throttle body, injectors and TPS sensor off the same donor engine. I don't know if the injectors are big enough, I'll have to do some research but they're free so I'll grab them anyways. Aside from that I ordered my 36-1 crank wheel for the megasquirt. So to date all the megasquirt parts are collected minus the ecu itself. Question for you folks. What size in mm is the injectors!? 11mm? 14mm height? Ev1 or ev6 or minitomer plugs? Got to rebuild and test all the parts before installing but should be straight forward. Looking forward to your responses. Stay boosted boys!!! Shane.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Should have added to the last post, since this is a junkyard build, does anyone know if any injectors with the same sized o ring fittings and height? I'd like to run something closer to 650cc or 72 pound. Trying to make 400hp+ so if there are any stock ford/gm/whatever injectors you know of that flow big numbers let me know!!! I'm not afraid of custom work, that's my bread and butter!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page