1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Project Log Post your project logs here

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 63 Old 07-22-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1986 Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2l T3DOHC
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 12-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1991 Spirit R/T
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 12.652

Hi, I also have a Daytona and am wanting to lighten it as much as I can, I noticed you have gotten your car extremely light, I was shooting for 2500 lbs. for mine but you've seem to have blown that away, any ideas you can share with me to help drop a bunch of weight, I've gutted the rear of the car and have gotten rid of everything unneeded, also plan on cutting out the spare tire tub, any help would be much appreciated, thanks Brandon
post #33 of 63 Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS

What a great project! Makes my mouth water for the SnapOn tool truck to stop by just looking at it. Thanks for posting up all the build pics too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 Old 12-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Boostaholic

yes a very cool and fast car and awesome build with excellent pictures, good job!
post #35 of 63 Old 12-05-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZnutZ1979 View Post
Hi, I also have a Daytona and am wanting to lighten it as much as I can, I noticed you have gotten your car extremely light, I was shooting for 2500 lbs. for mine but you've seem to have blown that away, any ideas you can share with me to help drop a bunch of weight, I've gutted the rear of the car and have gotten rid of everything unneeded, also plan on cutting out the spare tire tub, any help would be much appreciated, thanks Brandon
please read this, more detailed and updated. lmk if you have anymore ?'s, be glad to help

1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z T3 DOHC Tuned at FwdPerformance
post #36 of 63 Old 12-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Boostaholic

Thanks for the link to that other thread, definitely more detailed, I do have one question, its a little off the weight topic though, but you seem to know you stuff and have some good connections, what's your opinion on the pcv system, and do you run one or did you delete it, I know you run a dohc motor but I'm still interested in what you think about the pcv system and/or deleting it for an old 8 valve motor, thanks Brandon
post #37 of 63 Old 12-06-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZnutZ1979 View Post
Thanks for the link to that other thread, definitely more detailed, I do have one question, its a little off the weight topic though, but you seem to know you stuff and have some good connections, what's your opinion on the pcv system, and do you run one or did you delete it, I know you run a dohc motor but I'm still interested in what you think about the pcv system and/or deleting it for an old 8 valve motor, thanks Brandon
I still run a pcv system on all my cars, have to get that moisture out of the motor.
post #38 of 63 Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Good news:
Two step and brakes working much better.
Made a couple of really nice passes.
Motor is still running strong.

Bad news:
Trans or trq conv is toast.

Best run was a 1.83 --- 7.06 @ 104.85

No 2nd or 3rd gear

post #39 of 63 Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

Im looking for advice ....

Im planning on doing a T3 swap of my own I have the motor and I just bought the candidate car its a 1985.5 XT laser has the voice alert system. ( I also have a Black 1986 Turbo Z C/S I could use) I have the T3 motor and transmission as well as the engine wire harness and computer. I know I have to modify the T3 engine bay harness to work with the 1st gen body harness of the car and I have a general Idea of what I need to do to accomplish that. what I need help with are the finer details like what year engine mounts and transmission mounts to put in the car or weather or not I need T3 throttle body specific cables AC lines and from what year as well as anything else I may be missing. all advice appreciated

Thanks
post #40 of 63 Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Im looking for advice ....

Im planning on doing a T3 swap of my own I have the motor and I just bought the candidate car its a 1985.5 XT laser has the voice alert system. ( I also have a Black 1986 Turbo Z C/S I could use) I have the T3 motor and transmission as well as the engine wire harness and computer. I know I have to modify the T3 engine bay harness to work with the 1st gen body harness of the car and I have a general Idea of what I need to do to accomplish that. what I need help with are the finer details like what year engine mounts and transmission mounts to put in the car or weather or not I need T3 throttle body specific cables AC lines and from what year as well as anything else I may be missing. all advice appreciated

Thanks
Before we get started with all of the t3 conversion stuff why do you want to convert it over?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
post #41 of 63 Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM
TD New Guy

Garage

long story short I always wanted a First gen car with a T3 16 valve DOHC motor. I much rather like the car styling form the first gen cars I'm not going to be doing any extreme racing and if I did I would rather use an 8V sohc 2.2l turbo w/forged pistons because its harder to find parts and more expensive for the T3 and I would use an L body like an Omni or Rampage. it's gonna be used for probably a little bit of everything bit of a show car but would like to focus more on road racing and autocross if I had to prioritize. power goals are between 250-300 whatever I can get away with using stock parts even if that means lower power numbers. but more than anything I'm focused on piecing together everything and getting it to run.
post #42 of 63 Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
long story short I always wanted a First gen car with a T3 16 valve DOHC motor. I much rather like the car styling form the first gen cars I'm not going to be doing any extreme racing and if I did I would rather use an 8V sohc 2.2l turbo w/forged pistons because its harder to find parts and more expensive for the T3 and I would use an L body like an Omni or Rampage. it's gonna be used for probably a little bit of everything bit of a show car but would like to focus more on road racing and autocross if I had to prioritize. power goals are between 250-300 whatever I can get away with using stock parts even if that means lower power numbers. but more than anything I'm focused on piecing together everything and getting it to run.
Gotcha 250 to 300 is fairly simple with the t3 motor. just wanted to make sure you know what you're getting into. unless you have a stockpile saved up, they're getting really hard to come by.

If I were you, I would seriously consider running a stand-alone. so much easier and are a much better tuning platform. This will maximize the power you can get out of this motor.

So for the motor mounts, the passenger side and front mount you will use off of the 86 donor car. You will also be using the driver side trans mount from the A525 you will just have to notch it to fit onto the A5 68. The rear bobble strut will line up but only on one side of the two tabs. what most people do is use a spacer between the two tabs and a longer bolt. you can also buy a new tab and have it welded onto your k frame if you want to line it up perfectly.

You will also need the A568 shifter cables, clutch cable, and throttle cable.

SB
1986 Turbo Z
1987 SL
1989 CSX
post #43 of 63 Old 05-09-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

I love Christmas in May!!!
Doors 16lbs each
Ground effects 3lbs each
Hood 15lbs
Front Clip 29lbs

INSATANSSEAT likes this.
post #44 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 86 S/C
Engine: 2.2 8V
1/4: 10.040

Guesstimated weight savings?

Pieces look Good! :)
post #45 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Guesstimated weight savings?

Pieces look Good! :)
Over stock pieces? I would say 250 lb maybe more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page