Laser 86 - Page 6 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Project Log Post your project logs here

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 91 Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 86 Laser
Engine: 2.2L T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: Laser 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by edg View Post
Oh! where did u purchase the catch can?
The can is just a generic can that I bought off eBay. There are so many out there that you just need to find one you like, that will fit your available space. I forgot to mention that I had to put different fittings, and the internal baffle plate, on mine.

As for the hoses, in the pic, the catch can is out of sight, but at the bottom left of the pic.

The large pipe, at the bottom left, is from the air cleaner, and the large arrows show it flowing to the turbo inlet. The smaller hose, in the center, connects the catch can to that air cleaner pipe, through a 3/8" nipple. I just slid the 3/8" hose into the 5/8" hose, and put heat shrink on them, to make a seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 91 Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM
edg
Garrett Booster

My Ride: is 250 lexus

Thanks for clearing that up Bob I wasn't sure of what I was looking at. Regards.
post #78 of 91 Old 04-23-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

I have finally finished enough of the documentation to post how I replaced the fusible links, in the wiring harness, with a PDC. I have actually done two of them, using different PDCs.

Here is the link to the article:
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ml#post4116601

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 91 Old 05-08-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Time for some updates. The car is now running, but has a few sensor issues. I found that engine will idle, but not accelerate. I think it is probably due to bad fuel, even though I put preservative in it, last summer.

I also discovered that the steering stops, do not work when the wheels raise up. I guess I will have to come up with a better design.

The serpentine belt setup works, but I need to shim the AC compressor towards the fender. All of the other pulleys seem to be staying centered. As I predicted, it is difficult to loosen the tensioner, when it sits so far down. I will have to get a longer tool, since my wrenches aren't long enough. At least the belt tension stays even, unlike my last design.

I also have a curious issue, that has dogged this car for the last ten years. When I shut the key off, the fuel pressure slowly drops to zero. It takes about 15 minutes. It never was an issue, as long as the ASD relay energized long enough to recharge the pressure. I will post this on a new thread, so this one doesn't get filled with suggestions.

Here is the link:
https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ml#post4129985
post #80 of 91 Old 09-05-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Progress has been slow, since I have 3 cars to suck up my limited amount of time. Here's one of them:

It's a 1957 BMW Isetta that was my dad's. I've been restoring it for the last few years and have had to endure listening to everyone who knows about it, asking if it's done yet. Truth be told, I expected to have it, and the Laser, done last spring, but both have been nothing but problems.

The good news is that the Laser is finally running and back on the road. One down, two to go.

Last edited by LaserDad; 09-05-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: missing pics
post #81 of 91 Old 09-07-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Here are some updated pics.

I decided to powdercoat the brake calipers silver, instead of red.

Engine compartment.

PDC and cool air box, without cover.
post #82 of 91 Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: '89 Dodge Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5L | Dead
Induct: N/A

Looks clean as always! Love the airbox!

BTW... When were you going to make that guide on swapping the seats? I'd love to get some better ones like yours!
post #83 of 91 Old 09-07-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlockSyno View Post
Looks clean as always! Love the airbox!

BTW... When were you going to make that guide on swapping the seats? I'd love to get some better ones like yours!
Unfortunately, the Daytona project is on hold. The wife won't let me start on it until the Isetta is totally done, so the Daytona will have to wait until winter.

On top of that, I just acquired another '86 Laser, and another Daytona parts car.

This won't get started for at least another year. I really need to retire so I can find more time to work on cars.
post #84 of 91 Old 09-09-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Here are a couple things that have given me problems, during this last rebuild, that might help others:

1) I bought a new clutch cable, from Rock Auto. It was listed as compatible with an '88 Daytona, which is the 520/555 transmission. When I put it on, the clutch was engaging right at the floor. I pulled the cable and compared it to the old one, only to find that the new cable was the same length, but the outer housing was 2-1/4" shorter.

It is labelled as 2-3/4", in the pic, but that was a mistake. The old cable feels great. I never thought to compare the lengths, before using the new one.
post #85 of 91 Old 09-09-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Another issue was that my driver's side inner driveshaft boot was rubbing the transmission housing. After a few hundred miles, the boot actually cut and threw grease everywhere. I am using heavy shafts, from "The Driveshaft Shop". They warrantied the boot, but the new one also rubbed the tranny, so I decided to grind away the housing.

I've put 100 miles on it, and there's no sign of wear, so I think it won't be an issue.

When I added a drain hole, to the tranny, I used an internal type plug, which had straight threads. Because the port was tapped using a 3/8"NPT thread, I would get an occasional drip. I swapped it to an external plug, which has the NPT thread. Now, the leak is gone.
post #86 of 91 Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Lastly, you might have seen that I replaced the rear motor mount/shock setup with a rigid threaded mount. I've used it for a few years and cannot feel the difference.

Another bonus is that it eliminated that big bracket, making it easier to access the rear of the tranny. The only negative is that you need to center the engine, before installing the new mount. Otherwise, it might prevent you moving the engine side to side.

It's cheaper and better than the original.
post #87 of 91 Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Here's an updated pic of the entire engine compartment.

You can't see it, but the tranny has been upgraded to a Quaife.

It's amazing how much better the traction is. Instead of having to fight torque steer, you can just turn the wheel and it tracks where you point it. Expensive, but worth it. I recommend having Ed Papp do your tranny rebuilds. He has the knowledge and correct parts. Doing it right, the first time, will save you money and frustration.
post #88 of 91 Old 05-16-2017, 07:44 AM
edg
Garrett Booster

My Ride: is 250 lexus

Bob the car looks very neat & tidy, I've asked this question before and never got an answer, what did u do to the front motor mount, u had said u had to remove it because the rad was too big and was curious as to what u did to rectify that problem. Thanks. Regards. Errol.
post #89 of 91 Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edg View Post
Bob the car looks very neat & tidy, I've asked this question before and never got an answer, what did u do to the front motor mount, u had said u had to remove it because the rad was too big and was curious as to what u did to rectify that problem. Thanks. Regards. Errol.
The Laser uses an aluminum radiator that is the same size as the original, so no problem there. It's the Daytona that is getting the larger radiator. I haven't done anything to it, in weeks, and haven't got a concrete plan yet.
post #90 of 91 Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 92 Spirit N/A
Engine: 2.2 MPFI
Induct: N/A

That engine bay may be the cleanest I've ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page