Bulkhead Disconnect L Body Vehicles - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-30-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

1/4: 0.000

Bulkhead Disconnect L Body Vehicles

This is really a two part question.

I fried something that feeds the gauge cluster.

On the L body vehicles the wires from the engine harness that feed into the Bulkhead Disconnect on the firewall how are the wires attached to the bulkhead disconnect? I need to check the red wire for the ammeter at the disconnect but there is a rubber grommet around it that keeps me from reaching the probe into it.

I messed up and blew out the circuit that feeds the gauge cluster. I did check the wire at the bulkhead disconnect for the Tachometer and that circuit was showing about 10 volts and the voltage changed with the speed of the Engine.

No fuses are blown but I suspect I blew out something between the alternator and the gauge cluster. Any idea what I might have fried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

Re: Bulkhead Disconnect L Body Vehicles

If you still have the fuseable links on the side of the drivers shock tower, it's always good to check there first. Whenone of those blows, the wire will discolor a bit but will feel like a rubber band when you tug on it because the wire inside has vaporized/is gone. You can buy replacement fuseable links at the auto parts store. It's not a real servicable area but you can get down in that area sometimes taking off the clutch cable bracket on the shock tower can help.

The bulkhead connector is held in place with a single bolt in the middle on the engine side of the firewall.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

The one large wire into 4 fuseable links is still there. But as you mentioned you have to remove a bunch of stuff to be able to work with it. Looks like I will have to cut or remove some wire ties and unwrap the wires to be able to inspect it.

The last fuseable link that I had blow was on a 1978 Chrysler New Yorker. Most of the link just melted visibly off the harness. After I replaced it never blew again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: glhs 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by meek View Post
this is really a two part question.

I fried something that feeds the gauge cluster.

On the l body vehicles the wires from the engine harness that feed into the bulkhead disconnect on the firewall how are the wires attached to the bulkhead disconnect? I need to check the red wire for the ammeter at the disconnect but there is a rubber grommet around it that keeps me from reaching the probe into it.

I messed up and blew out the circuit that feeds the gauge cluster. I did check the wire at the bulkhead disconnect for the tachometer and that circuit was showing about 10 volts and the voltage changed with the speed of the engine.

No fuses are blown but i suspect i blew out something between the alternator and the gauge cluster. Any idea what i might have fried?
fusable link
post #5 of 11 Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

The Fusable links didn't seem to be bad. I tested the two circuit board connectors. The round gray connector and the straight blue connector. The gray connector terminal "C" for the Tachometer had voltage. The blue connector terminal "3" for voltmeter feed didn't have a voltage reading or show an ohm reading when I hooked the meter to a ground and the "3" terminal.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: Company Vehicle

If you find you have to get into the BH connector, you will find a central bolt that holds the 2, (1/2's) together.

Once you separate the 1/2's, there are master keys that hold the individual wire locks that hold the individual wires in place.

This is a 3 step process to get to the terminals inside the BH connector.

Good Luck
post #7 of 11 Old 05-31-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Ok thanks. I just wish that the last owner didn't feel the need to re-engineer the electrical system and the vacuum system.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Of course the Bulkhead Disconnect would loosen but it would not separate. I put it back together. Hopefully it was lined up properly and I didn't horribly smash and bend anything.

I did pull a newer L Body harness out of my junk box. I am going to follow the wires to see if I can determine the path of the wire I am concerned about.

D'oh, I swore I checked all fuses twice. I traced the wire on the harness and it went directly to the fuse block. When I checked the fuses I found a blown fuse. Next time I will check them with my meter.

I also found FLASHER, Hazard Warning was bad. I must have blown it out when the fuse blew.

The crazy thing is now the Tachometer is working somewhat where it wasn't working before.

Last edited by Meek; 06-01-2016 at 08:50 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek View Post
Of course the Bulkhead Disconnect would loosen but it would not separate. I put it back together. Hopefully it was lined up properly and I didn't horribly smash and bend anything.

The BH connector won't just fall apart into your hands, you have to pull pretty hard sometimes---

Also

Sometimes after you think the bolt is loose, you will pull & pull, then loosen the bolt some more.

Good Luck
post #10 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

The bolt couldn't get any looser than it was. The main problem was no room to pull on the connector while you turn the bolt.

The problem ended up being a bad fuse. Not sure how I missed the fuse. Only 5 amp so the element is pretty thin.

But the new problem is; "why is the tachometer suddenly working"? Not accurately but at least it responds to the throttle. My best guess is either one of the connections I pulled apart under the hood or the female terminals for the fuse had corrosion on them.

Now I need to get some more DeoxIT to clean the fuse contacts.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek View Post
The bolt couldn't get any looser than it was.
The main problem was no room to pull on the connector while you turn the bolt.

I thought exactly the same thing several times....
Apparently the bolt re-tightens a little while you are pulling. I am not saying it is your problem, only that it has been my problem several times in the past.

It fits going together and coming apart.

Again,
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page