'84 rampage no spark - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shelby-Rampage

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

'84 rampage no spark

My 1984 2.2 N/A carbed rampage is getting no spark. I tried replacing the coil, did a tune up, plugs, cap, wires, rotor. I also swapped out the pick-up (can't think of what its called, under the dist cap with the wires on it with a spare.

Thing is, if it sits for a while it will start and run fine, but when I shut it off it will not start (cranks but no spark). I tried checking a spark plug with a plug wire on it and cranked it (grounding the plug) - no spark. Tried pulling the coil wire from the cap and held it next to a ground - no spark. I've tried 3 different coils including a brand new one, same thing. Tried swapping spark control 'computer' (tried 3). But like I said if it sits for a few hours it will usually fire right up and run fine, but when I shut it off it loses spark and will not start again.

So where do I go back to from here checking things? Is there a fusible link to check? if so where is it? Could it be the ignition switch? This thing has me baffled. At first I thought it was fuel related so I rebuilt the Weber 32/38, put on a new fuel pump, which was when I discovered there was no spark. But like I said if it sits for a while it will fire right up and run fine. Oh and I tried running a wire from the + side of the battery to the + side of the coil, still won't fire.

Any ideas? cuz I'm out of ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Rampage Base Carb
Engine: 2.2

Garage
Re: '84 rampage no spark

From my '83 FSM. Don't know if you have this. Hope it helps...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180916_0001.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	251281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180916_0002b.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	251283  
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 AM
Garrett Booster

Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

You can check the ignition primary circuit by jumping the HEP (Hall effect position switch) commonly referred to as a pick up switch, because it ďpicks upĒ the ignition pulse produced by the Spinning oil pump drive, via the dizzy.
Disconnect the dizzy and check for power and ground.

Use a piece of wire, or a jumper wire.
When you jump the 5v ref to ground the coil should fire.
If no spark occurs, you must first ensure circuit continuity and connector condition.
Ohm our the circuits, if you find high resistance in the circuits, inspect for corrosion at connections, broken, split or damage to wires.
Loose connections should be cleaned and adjusted for spread pins or connectors.
As a certified tech, experienced with FWD mopars for 25years, Iíve seen way to many electrical problems with spread connectors due to probe damage.
This may sound crazy, but I often prefer the intrusive method of circuit testing.
I pierce the wire, test, then seal the wire probe point with nail polish or sealer (flex seal works great).
Iím sure I may get blown up here, but this method works, and it prevents probe damage at the delicate connectors.
I would ensure your ground wires all have good connections, also ensure your ground strap at the engine side mount is securely attached.
There is one on the bottom of the intake (dr side)
Rear front edge of head next to main engine harness, should be a few grounds, depending on options, and then grounds near PCM,
Probably would be a bad idea to disconnect the ( 8-12 pin connector, behind the battery and check carefully for pull outs or missing insulation.
Mopar had a bad habit of leaving bare wire exposed at the connectors, once they get hot, or disturbed, they tend to mash down and sometimes short across circuits, this could be whatís going on?
Do a wiggle test while you have-someone crank the motor.
Wiggle and manipulate the harness around the dizzy and back of battery, actually you may want to wiggle various connectors in the effected circuits!
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Garrett Booster

Hereís my Rampage!
Itís been 12 years since itís been on the road, and Iíve gone through every piece and part of this little trucklet
Once the headpipe gets welded, it will be ready to go!

post #5 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 83 Rampage Base Carb
Engine: 2.2

Garage

Ah, then you know where this goes!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9605.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	251287  
post #6 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 03:12 PM
TD New Guy

I heard from a guy here that a failed SCC (spark advance module/computer/gadget) will exhibit as no spark. Not sure if there's a way to wire it out and check again for spark, but it seems like you ought to be able to do so.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM
TD New Guy

Also, have you replaced your condenser? The running and dying and not starting until it sits for a while sounds like a condenser to me
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Update: Got it starting normally again!

First off, thanks for all the replies.

I swapped another spark advance unit on it and that was the problem. Thing is, I had 4 spark advance modules and tried 3 of them with the same results...would start and run fine, but would not start again once warmed up.

I tried yet another and it starts and restarts now as it should now. Evidently there must be a break in the other old spark advance modules (looks like a 'computer') and when cold they work, but once they warm up they must have a break in the circuit. That in turn killed the spark going to the hall effect.

Never imagined 3 spark advance mods in a row would be bad, but that was my case. At least now everything is new, I rebuilt the carb (weber 32/36) and put on a new fuel pump cause at first I thought it wasn't getting gas, then replaced the coil, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and swapped hall effects, so it is running like a top now with all that new.

I was starting to think I had a bad fusible link or ignition switch. Goes to show these old electronics are getting old enough just swapping them isn't always enough with used ones as you could get other bad ones.

Anyhow, thanks again. I'll post some pics of my Rampage when I get a chance.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-21-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Here it is, these are old pics BTW from about 2003-4.

I used to post on this site (which why my account is old) back when I first restored it and put the blower on it (about 2003)...you may find some of my early posts in the first posts of the 2.2 supercharged section.

Long story short, I had to take the blower off and sold it (got a nice amount for it) I had countless hours in polishing it though. I took it off back in about 2005. I took it off because the only place near me that sold race gas quit selling it, so I had a choice to either go back to N/A or rebuild the motor using dished turbo pistons, so I took it off, which kinda sucked, but it still runs pretty good for a carbed n/a rampage. Back when it had the blower it had a Weber twin 38 carb BTW.

Also, I didn't like having a hole in my hood (couldn't leave it out or drive it in the rain without making a mess of the polished motor parts). I did win a 1st place trophy at a large all Mopar show when it still had the blower in the modified class beating out some nice competition like a modified 71 Cuda and some other muscle cars, which surprised me. I think people liked it cause you just don't see many nicely done 80's FWD Mopars.

My daughter who was young at the time (named Shelby..lol) loved this little trucklet so I pretty much let it sit in a heated garage for the past 10 years or so saving it for her. She learned to drive in it and learned to drive manual in it so it has sentimental value to her, so I gave it to her to drive as a weekend 'showcar'. BTW back when I restored it I converted it to manual, as it was an auto.

She's a good kid and has another car to use as a daily driver, this is like her 'baby' so I passed it on to her knowing she would take good care of it.

Bringing us up to now (2018) as I'm just getting some bugs worked out of it from sitting inside all those years.

If you guys are interested I'll post more pics, like from now without the hole in the hood, I have some to of my daughter when she was little behind the wheel and now grown up which I think is neat. I also have a rare factory Mexican cast header and split down pipe we plan to put on it, along with a brake upgrade.

BTW, I'm having a little problem uploading the pics, I'd like them to be full size, they come up as thumbnail, but I think if you click on them they get full size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	original-4af4302c37701aaa753fb2dfab501f9a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	251337   Click image for larger version

Name:	original-1aaa2b1ce0ad5d120fc06afdf8a6cc02.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	251339   Click image for larger version

Name:	original-8ee3cb6b41a80c1e7151673c763fe1d7.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	251343  
MarkassBauer likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2018, 04:55 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby-Rampage View Post
Here it is, these are old pics BTW from about 2003-4.

I used to post on this site (which why my account is old) back when I first restored it and put the blower on it (about 2003)...you may find some of my early posts in the first posts of the 2.2 supercharged section.

Long story short, I had to take the blower off and sold it (got a nice amount for it) I had countless hours in polishing it though. I took it off back in about 2005. I took it off because the only place near me that sold race gas quit selling it, so I had a choice to either go back to N/A or rebuild the motor using dished turbo pistons, so I took it off, which kinda sucked, but it still runs pretty good for a carbed n/a rampage. Back when it had the blower it had a Weber twin 38 carb BTW.

Also, I didn't like having a hole in my hood (couldn't leave it out or drive it in the rain without making a mess of the polished motor parts). I did win a 1st place trophy at a large all Mopar show when it still had the blower in the modified class beating out some nice competition like a modified 71 Cuda and some other muscle cars, which surprised me. I think people liked it cause you just don't see many nicely done 80's FWD Mopars.

My daughter who was young at the time (named Shelby..lol) loved this little trucklet so I pretty much let it sit in a heated garage for the past 10 years or so saving it for her. She learned to drive in it and learned to drive manual in it so it has sentimental value to her, so I gave it to her to drive as a weekend 'showcar'. BTW back when I restored it I converted it to manual, as it was an auto.

She's a good kid and has another car to use as a daily driver, this is like her 'baby' so I passed it on to her knowing she would take good care of it.

Bringing us up to now (2018) as I'm just getting some bugs worked out of it from sitting inside all those years.

If you guys are interested I'll post more pics, like from now without the hole in the hood, I have some to of my daughter when she was little behind the wheel and now grown up which I think is neat. I also have a rare factory Mexican cast header and split down pipe we plan to put on it, along with a brake upgrade.

BTW, I'm having a little problem uploading the pics, I'd like them to be full size, they come up as thumbnail, but I think if you click on them they get full size.
Wow! That's gotta be the nicest Rampage I've ever seen by a long shot. Puts my dumpy brown automatic to shame haha.

When you do that brake upgrade it'd be really neat to follow along, I'm interested in what parts you're planning to use. Rear discs?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

On the brakes I'm going to keep it simple. I like the pizza wheels I have now (took about 8hrs of polishing on each) and they are 4 lug, so I'm just going to add '84 minivan brakes (which were 4 lug) they are vented and bigger than whats on it stock. I have the mounting brackets, I think the only other thing need are 84 minivan calipers and disks. I'll probably just leave the rear drums as is. I just want them to be a little better than they are now. This IMO is the easiest route for me.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C

That supercharger looks different from the Mopar Performance one. What is the backstory on it, and how did you get the orange and chrome covers?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Garrett Booster

Another issue I have run into is a loose or corroded connector at / near the Power module. Look for a two pin connector (think rad. fan connector).
This inline disconnect for the ignition pick up can become a point of concern.
Make sure this connector is not a point of high resistance. This will for sure cause a myriad of intermittent loss of ignition pick up signal.
I decided to replace the defective Holley 5220 with a Weber replacement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page