86 Daytons digital dash problem - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 Old 12-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

My Ride: 1986 LeBaron Vert
Engine: MOPAR 2.2L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Re: 86 Daytons digital dash problem

I don't suppose you have any of the later (1987-89) J or G body digital clusters? If I could find one of them for my T2K-CAR I would cheerfully part with the 1986 Laser one I was thinking of using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Well, problem solved. Wouldn't ya know the day I decided to put aside the cluster to work on a home PC project, a used, fully functioning cluster from an '86 Daytona pops up on ebay for $45 bucks! I was hoping to find the failing component on mine which was at the root of my problems but with limited time, I had to move on. So I took the easy route & bought the Ebay one and popped it into the car -works like a charm & of course, I now have one with which to take some electrical measurements for when I decide to take my original cluster down from the shelf in the garage again to play with it some other day. Thanks to everyone for the help & suggestions, I've learned a lot - much appreciated!
post #18 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

lol
what you have now is the first one in you're new "collection"

now you want to collect a few or two
then you can simply try swapping boards where there are two in the cluster

my first digital cluster was a free one made from two dead ones .. and the best faceplate of the two

each cluster had a fail on the opposite board so when I swapped them instead of two screwed up clusters I had one that worked perfectly & one one that did nothing at all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Actually I did exactly that since curiosity had long since gotten the better of me! Immediately after the "new" cluster arrived, I separated its two PC boards as well as the two boards in my original one and was able to determine that the problem resides with the main board (the more heavily populated of the two). Without a proper schematic though, searching down the datasheet for each one of the IC's (to obtain their pin outs) and/or removing various other components from the board so as to test them out of circuit is going to be the only way to troubleshoot further - a (potentially) long, tedious process best saved for some unpleasant snowy/rainy day. :)
post #20 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

lol yeah

lookin' at Marty's post he needs to find a volunteer to try each and every combination of boards in his
probably some would work again very easily

boards that don't work as an assembly we should be reducing to parts ..
post #21 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorace View Post
Actually I did exactly that since curiosity had long since gotten the better of me! Immediately after the "new" cluster arrived, I separated its two PC boards as well as the two boards in my original one and was able to determine that the problem resides with the main board (the more heavily populated of the two). Without a proper schematic though, searching down the datasheet for each one of the IC's (to obtain their pin outs) and/or removing various other components from the board so as to test them out of circuit is going to be the only way to troubleshoot further - a (potentially) long, tedious process best saved for some unpleasant snowy/rainy day. :)
If you are in a mood to experiment with these, I can send you the ones I have (with the possible exception of the one, I think is good) I may try to use that in my project, it is a 1986 Laser one I believe, I also have parts of another Laser one, probably a 1984.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

"If you are in a mood to experiment with these, I can send you the ones I have (with the possible exception of the one, I think is good) I may try to use that in my project, it is a 1986 Laser one I believe, I also have parts of another Laser one, probably a 1984."

Does it look like the one at the link below?

https://www.turbododge.com/forums/at...5-08.14.25.jpg

If so, then yes that would be from an '86 Laser/Daytona. This is the cluster that I was playing with over the past three weeks. So far, what I've learned is that the majority of the problems are due to cold solder joints and/or bad electrolytic capacitors. Armed with a soldering iron, either of these problems can be solved in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately for me, neither of these simple fixes were the cause of my problem. The good news is that aside from a few hard to find IC's and the vacuum fluorescent displays these printed circuit boards are populated with just run-of-the-mill resistors, diodes, capacitors and transistors any of which can be picked up at an electronics store or online for a dollar or less each. I would absolutely be all for experimenting on your cluster/s but (given that I've had to return to that pesky job this week) I have no idea when I might get another chance to sit down & look at them. How soon would you need them to be returned? My hope though, is that I get an opportunity to reverse engineer the one that I have so that I have a better idea of which of the above (really inexpensive components) are likely to be the cause of problems. I would suspect that nearly every one of these clusters can be returned to functioning order so I wouldn't give up on any of them just yet, but the solutions are going to take me a little time.
post #23 of 39 Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

I would not be in a big hurry, I am using a 1989 J body Lebaron dash and analog cluster. I found that the Laser/Daytona digital is the same height and mounting, just a different angle to the face. I wired the two cluster plugs and the pull up resistor block plugs so I could try it. I also have two or three K Lebaron clusters (shorter top to bottom) that may have some of the same electronics on the boards. My dash developed an oil pressure gauge quirk, the longer the car ran the lower the gauge reading became. A mechanical gauge revealed no drop off and the voltage on the cluster terminal stayed the same once the oil warmed up fully.

Bill Vose
1986 LeBaron convertible 2.2L turboII
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #24 of 39 Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Sorry for the delayed response, we had to say good-bye to family member last week & now once again trying to get caught up at work . 85Lebaront2, I just sent you a PM regarding your cluster. Thanks!
post #25 of 39 Old 01-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
I would not be in a big hurry, I am using a 1989 J body Lebaron dash and analog cluster. I found that the Laser/Daytona digital is the same height and mounting, just a different angle to the face. I wired the two cluster plugs and the pull up resistor block plugs so I could try it. I also have two or three K Lebaron clusters (shorter top to bottom) that may have some of the same electronics on the boards. My dash developed an oil pressure gauge quirk, the longer the car ran the lower the gauge reading became. A mechanical gauge revealed no drop off and the voltage on the cluster terminal stayed the same once the oil warmed up fully.
a gauge that goes down could well be a sender with an internal leak

I had one that went from high to low as rpm's increased - and it was brand new to boot

bought another , put the bad one in the package and took it back
post #26 of 39 Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Did you read my entire post? I went through all the tests I could, including monitoring the gauge circuit voltage at the cluster connection. I didn't go into the number of different senders I tried. The one I started with was the one that came off the original 2.6L and I used an NPT to the metric adapter. I then bought one for the 2.2L engine and was even asked if there was a different one for Analog vs Electronic clusters. I have had a sender with an internal leak, idiot light on a 1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire. It would come on driving, stop and let the engine idle, it would stay on, increase the RPM. it would go off for a while. When I got under the front to look at it, the end was soaked. Changed it and never had another problem.

Bill Vose
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #27 of 39 Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 1992 IROC R/T
Engine: 16V

Just imagine repairing the electronic junk they put on new cars today after 30 years.

Probably leave you with a vehicle that can't be driven at all!
post #28 of 39 Old 01-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

At least so far I haven't had a piece of Chrysler electronics try to explode on me. My 1994 Taurus had the ECM burn a chunk of the board with a nice Bang followed by the fuel pump running continuously. When I removed it from the inside and opened it one corner of the board was badly burned, apparently one of the electrolytic capacitors had exploded.
post #29 of 39 Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

See if you can open and maybe print them for comparison. I have some switches ordered from DigiKey and that will hopefully resolve the two that would not run the test mode. The 1986 Laser dash would not run the tachometer LEDs with the original rear board, swapping to the 1984 Laser rear board and it would run the tach LEDs. I tried it on my K dash with a tachometer module, and it worked that one just fine. Right now I would love to find where the vacuum fluorescent power supply and feeds are, the 1987 New Yorker (E) left side gauges (temp and volts) are dim and the traveler will not illuminate at all. Different rear board did not make a difference. I can't attach to a PM, it wants a URL rather than add from computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital dash 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	252989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital dash 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	252991  

Bill Vose
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #30 of 39 Old 02-13-2019, 06:57 PM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 1992 IROC R/T
Engine: 16V

you were asking about the 1988-89 digital clusters

I have 3 all tested good

# 4437654

they show the following mileage:

118 K

108 K

127 K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page