86 Daytons digital dash problem - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

86 Daytons digital dash problem

Hi guys,
I know this has been a topic of much discussion but I've never seen my exact problem mentioned. I have an '86 Daytona C/S with the digital dash. Has worked perfectly for the year that I've owned it but as of late, the LED tach, oil pressure gauge and power loss/low oil light have been flaky. They either all work, or they're all dead. Today I took the dash out, separated the two PCB's and reflowed the solder to every solder joint that appeared to have a trace leading to one of those indicators, but I stopped short of reflowing EVERY single connection. While I was in there,I also replaced the failed buttons for the km/miles and trip odo. The good news is that the new buttons work like a champ! The bad news is that the flaky oil pressure/tach indicators remain exactly the same. So my question is, does anyone have experience with this problem, & if I am on the right track by reflowing the solder can you give me an idea of where I should be looking? In lieu of that information, can anyone tell me where i might find a schematic for this dash? Thank you for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: 86 Daytons digital dash problem

What type of schematic, just the wiring up to the cluster?
post #3 of 39 Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I'm probably in need of the schematic for the cluster itself as I suspect that is where the problem is. Last night I tried the dash self-diagnostic trick. As it stepped through the 8 tests, all of the segments of the oil pressure display lit up but none of the LED's for the tach did.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

My Ride: 1986 LeBaron Vert
Engine: MOPAR 2.2L

Garage

Good luck finding one, I have several of those, one is from a Daytona/Laser the others are from Lebarons and are a different physical size. I would love to get my hands on the schematics. My 1985 Lebaron would show slowly lowering oil pressure, a mechanical gauge connected would show no problem, a voltage measurement of the oil pressure circuit (G60 GY/YL) would be the same values normal vs low readings so the problem had to be in the integration of the signal.
post #5 of 39 Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Took some time off work this week & took another shot at the dash, this time connecting it to a bench power supply. Interestingly, the oil pressure gauge read high with the dash out of the car, but low when it's wired into the car so I have to agree with you that it's a problem with the signal integration - in either case, no sign of life from the tachometer. Would either of you be able to provide me with that schematic showing the signals leading up to the cluster?

Thanks!
post #6 of 39 Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

I can, I have the complete 1986 manual set. I will have to scan the information, there is a rough diagram showing the sensors and power inputs then several pages of more detailed. One question, did you have the pull up resistors connected when bench testing?
post #7 of 39 Old 12-17-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Hi 85Lebaron,
Thanks for your efforts!
Please forgive my ignorance but I have to assume that the pull-up resistors are 52ohm and 100ohm ones soldered to their own small PCB which is screwed onto the rear of the plastic housing? If so, they were not connected at the time I bench tested the cluster. I only had the power supply providing +12v to pins 10 & 21 and the negative lead connected to pin 6.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 AM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 1992 IROC R/T
Engine: 16V

if you need any parts for them I have 14. All tested years ago in a car. ALL of them did not work properly with varying problems.
post #9 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorace View Post
Hi 85Lebaron,
Thanks for your efforts!
Please forgive my ignorance but I have to assume that the pull-up resistors are 52ohm and 100ohm ones soldered to their own small PCB which is screwed onto the rear of the plastic housing? If so, they were not connected at the time I bench tested the cluster. I only had the power supply providing +12v to pins 10 & 21 and the negative lead connected to pin 6.
The pull up resistors are an important part of the system, from what I can tell they provide the voltage the electronics in the cluster integrate for readings. The oil pressure gauge sender is a variable resistance unit, I do not have the values of resistance vs pressure nor a good way to test one.

Here are 3 pages from the Electrical, Heater & Air Conditioning volume of the 1986 Front Wheel Drive Car Service Manual. First two are diagnostic tests the cluster performs, third one is the inputs where you can see that all the gauges use the pull up resistors for a signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G electronic cluster 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	252351   Click image for larger version

Name:	G electronic cluster 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	252353   Click image for larger version

Name:	G electronic cluster 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	252355  

Bill Vose
1986 LeBaron convertible 2.2L turboII
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #10 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I just realized that the site will log you out if you don't complete & post your message within a certain amount of time - a case for actively saving your message before hitting "post reply"... :)

85lebaront2, The pages are very helpful and do show that the pull-up resistors share lines that are common to my problem but as another poster pointed out when bench testing the cluster, the bottom LED of the tach should illuminate when power is applied. In my case, the bottom LED does not illuminate and I have witnessed the tach and oil pressure gauge blinking off & on simultaneously as the car is being driven so I suspect that the two share a return path to ground somewhere on the cluster PCB itself.

Marty, good to know that you have spares of these. Would you be able to tell me if when you tested them years ago, if you happened to write down what type of failure each cluster exhibited? In the event that I decide to try swapping in a different cluster, I'd just want to be sure to not get one with the same issue as I am currently having.

Lastly, can anyone tell me what the US/EXPORT switch on the back of these clusters is for?
post #11 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 01:30 PM
TD New Guy

Garage
Sorry for your problems. I have an 85 Laser XT with the digital dash and the only issue I had was the pushbuttons on odo and tripmeter reset dryrotting. Soldering in new buttons worked awesome!

I did learn that the US Export switch is for the speedometer display. In US mode it displays no higher than 85 mph (good old Feds!) as per law back in the 80’s. In Export mode it will show the correct speed up to however fast you trust your 32 year old car to go. Let’s just say my 85 Laser is very reliable and looks like almost new, but I’d never push it that high LOL!!
post #12 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dodge600es View Post
Sorry for your problems. I have an 85 Laser XT with the digital dash and the only ssue I had was the pushbuttons on odo and tripmeter reset dryrotting. Soldering in new buttons worked awesome!

I did learn that the US Export switch is for the speedometer display. In US mode it displays no higher than 85 mph (good old Feds!) as per law back in the 80ís. In Export mode it will show the correct speed up to however fast you trust your 32 year old car to go. Letís just say my 85 Laser is very reliable and looks like almost new, but Iíd never push it that high LOL!!
My son found on my 1985 Lebaron konvertible that it does not blank at 85, it keeps right on counting up until 99, then because the front (display panel) only had 2 digits, it goes 00 then 01,02,03 etc. He said it got to 21 before he let off but the engine was still pulling (2.2L turbo II).

This is why my resurrection of my T2K-CAR (VA license plate) has 4 wheel disc brakes.
post #13 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM
TD New Guy

Garage
Great story....but I have to disagree with you. I also have an 85 Dodge 600ES turbo convertible with digital dash, and both the Laser/Daytona version as well as the K car (LeBaron/600/New Yorker) version do indeed have a 3 digit speedometer. They had to, especially when you switch to km/h since even a lowly 62 mph is 100 km/h in Canada. Granted it’s only a leading “1” which prevents you from seeing your T2K go past 199 mph (haha). If yours isn’t showing the leading “1” then it’s a faulty display. Have a great one
post #14 of 39 Old 12-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dodge600es View Post
Great story....but I have to disagree with you. I also have an 85 Dodge 600ES turbo convertible with digital dash, and both the Laser/Daytona version as well as the K car (LeBaron/600/New Yorker) version do indeed have a 3 digit speedometer. They had to, especially when you switch to km/h since even a lowly 62 mph is 100 km/h in Canada. Granted it’s only a leading “1” which prevents you from seeing your T2K go past 199 mph (haha). If yours isn’t showing the leading “1” then it’s a faulty display. Have a great one
It never did, and it was the best working one I had. I only used it because (a) car came with it and (b) the non-Tokyo by night dash severely lacks as far as gauges go. The new one has a 1989 dash adapted with the nice full analog set including a 125 mph speedometer. I also know that yes it had the 1 in the hundreds spot in metric mode, it would show 108 if you switched it and drove 65. For some reason it did not have a 1 in the hundreds spot in mph.
post #15 of 39 Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 AM
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 1992 IROC R/T
Engine: 16V

did not make any notations of what had failed on the clusters I have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page