Roadblock of electrical issues - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 13' Dart 89' Caravan
1/4: 0.000

Roadblock of electrical issues

Setup is: 2.2, JE pistons, T2 rods, ARP hardware throughout, Ported G head, ported one piece intake. AEM 400 LPH fuel pump, -6 line throughout, Delphi Low imp. 95 lb injectors, accufab regulator, Holset HX35 turbo, 3" exhaust. SMEC electronics.

Just curious. For those running an ostrich, or whoever has ever had any problems with one, what kinda symptoms did you have? starting to run out of possible solutions. Itís not ignition or cam timing (verified this on Saturday and Sunday) even took the crank damper off to verify marks. swapped plugs,swapped coils, have my ground strap on the intake to the strut tower, have a second ground from strut tower to the fuel rail itself (on top of injector ground). Iím pretty convinced itís NOT the calibration. As Iíve tried a few different combinations of things and the problems are the same with help from a couple guys. Plugs also look like they are burning evenly. The power loss light def seems to come and go aswell, but kinda seems like it would go hand in hand with the other symptoms, ONLY codes I have are 31 and 36, both of which are irrelevant. Coil + and - both have less than 0.1 of resistance from the small connector on the SMEC. had this exact SMEC and Ostrich setup in my van last year and didnít have any issues, (different engine combo setup but electronics all the same). Swapped a power board from another SMEC and no change. I donít have another socketed SMEC or I would try that, TPS sweep on scanner shows 0.64v to 3.67v at WOT. Used a mighty vac to pressurize map sensor and at 28 psi itís at 4.96v. Voltage goes up evenly. Fuel pressure rises with increase in vacuum leading into boost, (but wonít get into any boost before breaking up) Cylinder compression test got 125 across all four. Went over all my vacuum lines, which is very few, just the main feed to a vacuum block and the block only splits between the map sensor and FPR. havenít pulled the valve cover to check camshaft, but figured that would show other more obvious symptoms. Have PT lifters installed also. Donít want to drive it much more in fear of any engine damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2019, 10:15 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

Re: Roadblock of electrical issues

Sounds like you are in so deep you cannot "see the forest for the tree's", been there, done that.
I cannot help you with your calibration but diagnostics are diagnostics.

Here are Chryslers Diagnostics for Driveability Issues With No Fault Codes or Codes 51/52.

Start at the beginning and verify each system is functioning as it should.
(Tests NF-7A, NF-8A and NF-12A are irrelevant for your issue.)
If you are going to post back results please post numbers, not just it was OK and be sure to test fuel pressure and map not only under normal static shop conditions but under the conditions where the issue is happening.

Unless you have an oscilloscope you will have to use an Adjustable Spark Tester to check the Ignition System Under Load.
The stock Chrysler system is capable of 40 KV.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ster/10257_0_0

Roadblock of electrical issues-5-test-nf1-code-51-52.jpg

Roadblock of electrical issues-ignition-adjustable-spark-tester.jpg

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
Sounds like you are in so deep you cannot "see the forest for the tree's", been there, done that.
I cannot help you with your calibration but diagnostics are diagnostics.

Here are Chryslers Diagnostics for Driveability Issues With No Fault Codes or Codes 51/52.

Start at the beginning and verify each system is functioning as it should.
(Tests NF-7A, NF-8A and NF-12A are irrelevant for your issue.)
If you are going to post back results please post numbers, not just it was OK and be sure to test fuel pressure and map not only under normal static shop conditions but under the conditions where the issue is happening.

Unless you have an oscilloscope you will have to use an Adjustable Spark Tester to check the Ignition System Under Load.
The stock Chrysler system is capable of 40 KV.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ster/10257_0_0

Attachment 253663

Attachment 253665

I know this is several weeks later, but It really has taken this long to try and sort out, since this was posted, I had found I had TWO bad powerboards, so I swapped an entire new socketed smec and that took care of the 5k cutout. Car pulls pretty decent, verified with boost gauge and secondary vacuum gauge and that fuel pressure rises with boost as it should and at idle.
and really has no issues with a load on it, No cut out in boost, AFR perfect, But all my issues now are poor idle/ misfire that ONLY seems to happen when below 10inHg of vacuum, at idle itll pop, miss, sometimes the vacuum will oscillate a few inHg's but that's it alongside the idle drop. (smells like its almost loading up on fuel when it does this, and could be a rich misfire to so speak? When cruising, itll have that same popping/miss which to me sounds kinda like a detonation event, but again only when its below 10inHg. I have swapped valve springs, camshaft,tried a few different calibrations/tweaked a few different ones, Performed cylinder compression and leakdown tests, Got 125 all four and less than 10% leakage on all four. Swapped intermediate shaft, distributors, caps, rotors, plugs wires, all of that. Cleaned, and even added MORE engine grounds. The only thing I have NOT done is swap out lifters, those are PT lifters and shims and haven't found much info or anything similar to causing any known issues. When I was swapping valve springs I had the rockers off and all the lifters felt pretty solid, couldn't compress any of them by hand. This car only produces about 17 inHg of vaccum peak, but the mechanical tests seem to all indicate its a non issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

Have you tested the Ignition System and verified Cam/Ignition Timing to be Correct?

https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...n-84-95-a.html
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

[QUOTE=NAJ;4508239]Have you tested the Ignition System and verified Cam/Ignition Timing to be Correct?

https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...n-84-95-a.html[/QUOTE

I did not test with that tester, what I have done is load test the two wires to the coil, both lit up a headlamp bulb with ease, replaced the SMEC and Powerboard, even used a THIRD smec and powerboard to be extra sure, I upgraded to the later style coil. Cam and ignition timing are perfect.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII .60/.63 2-piece SRT4 IC SMEC no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

what's A/F doing during the misfire ?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

here are pics of timing, in current state
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	254119   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	254121   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	254123   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	254125  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detobias View Post
what's A/F doing during the misfire ?
during cruising. nothing that the gauge will react to fast enough. I have a video I can show if I figure out how to post it, however at idle, when it misses sometimes itll hold 14s at idle with misfire and sometimes itll sweep between 11-15 and when it does that I can smell raw fuel, and this does this with two sets of injectors I have 52 lb and 95 lb, with the cal the same just scaled for the different sizes. Same with a different map, different computers, all of that. I don't have a chip burner ATM, but I have a gut feeling that the ostrich may be to blame for it, but no way of testing. According to scan tool alternator is charging at 13.9-14.2, so don't think its a voltage issue.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM
NAJ
Just A Guy

The only way to test if a controller is at fault is to diagnose the entire system it is operating and when that All tests OK it is "assumed" to be a controller fault, you have yet to verify the secondary ignition system is capable on all 4 cylinders.

You stated a "misfire", "smelling fuel" and a "pop" which all sounds like an ignition issue.
It is listed #1 on Chryslers List Of Diagnostics For Driveabilty Without Fault Codes or Codes 51/52.
All Basics Need To Be Verified OK

Again I would highly suggest you invest in an adjustable spark tester (< $10.00) and verify the system is capable of a minimum of 25 KV on all 4 cylinders.

I would also suggest you physically inspect all spark plugs for cracks/flashover/fouling.

I can only offer advice since I am not there, ultimately it your decision on how to proceed.

DIAGNOSTICS WITHOUT FAULTS OR CODES 51/52
Roadblock of electrical issues-5-test-nf1-code-51-52.jpg

Jan
1990 Daytona Shelby VNT

40 Years ASE Certified (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page