How-to Convert your Fusible links and relays to a PDC. - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 54 Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1990 VNT Daytona
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: How-to Convert your Fusible links and relays to a PDC.

Chris I know what the problem with my rad fan setup is; the wiring changed from 90-on...mine was already a Bosch setup...crap, now I need pics of an unmolested harness....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 Old 10-23-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 TII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Chris I know what the problem with my rad fan setup is; the wiring changed from 90-on...mine was already a Bosch setup...crap, now I need pics of an unmolested harness....
I know my ASD and either the Rad or AC relay were both Bosch in my 89. Let me see what I can do. No luck on getting a pic, I would have to tear apart the whole harness to even see in there. The harness runs right under those 2 relay locations. Take a pic of yours the way its put in the PDC and verify the relays are correct. They have plastic pins so they can be mixed up along with the 4 terminals. Lets see what colors you have put where and how they are jumped. Sounds like you have a jumper wire missing in your PDC. Green and gray both jump from relay to relay.
post #18 of 54 Old 10-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Garrett Booster

There's no grey jumper, which I believe is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 54 Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
There's no grey jumper, which I believe is the problem.
Grey should go from the fuse and jump to the AC relay and then jump over to the Rad fan relay.

Lt Green just goes from one relay to the other and off to supply power to the Radiator fan motor. Power feed is off the grey for both relays. Blue black and blue orange are controls on AC, and blue, blue pink are the controls on the Rad fan.

Just send me a pic or write out what you have and Ill tell you if its wrong or how to fix it. Ex. fused jumper to 85 green wire on AC relay, 86 blue, ect.

ALSO!!!!! Are you using the mini fuse 20A ignition in your PDC? If not than if I recall correctly that is more than likely your problem. I really need you to mark your wires right now and send me a pic. If you are familiar with the pin numbers on the relays right it out.
87 Color wire
85 Where it goes, harness, jumper to XxxxX, other fuse, ect
Looking under the PDC will be like looking at the relay from the ass end. Just grab a spare so you dont get the pin numbers mixed up and send it to me. I can tell you whats wrong. Something just doesnt add up.

Also need to know if the fan comes on when AC is turned on, or if it comes on when the engine gets too hot, or not at all.
post #20 of 54 Old 10-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Garrett Booster

I'll get pics up to you tomorrow, too late and dark to get them right now. The mini 20 fuse is not being used, there was nothing to connect it to...should I have cut out the FL from the ignition? (I don't recall that one being covered)

What really sucks is I tossed all the wiring that I pulled from the PDC...gonna hit the Hobby shop and see if it's still in the dumpster...if not, guess I'm heading to the JY next payday!
post #21 of 54 Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
I'll get pics up to you tomorrow, too late and dark to get them right now. The mini 20 fuse is not being used, there was nothing to connect it to...should I have cut out the FL from the ignition? (I don't recall that one being covered)
All the links you get rid of are right in the same spot, but the 20A ignition fuse has wires you need to run the relays correctly, I may have missed that part but I know I mention it later when you put the fuses back in. Well nail it tomorrow for you. Promise. Then if I missed something Ill fix it.
post #22 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1988 LeBaron 'vert
Engine: 2.2L I-4

Guys, I have been studying this to convert my '88 Lebaron. I just pulled a PDC from a '94 LeBaron on Friday. Your description of the Rad and AC relay wiring was a source of confusion for me. I can verify that there is only one gray jumper on the PDC that I pulled. It ran from one of the maxi fuses to the rad relay. There was no jumper from that to the ac relay. The ac relay got power from one of the mini fuses. I have a feeling that Chrysler changed some of the wiring in the vehicles/pdc from year to year so there could be some variations. Also, it appears that more of the mini fuses are required to be used in the PDC that I have. Unfortunately the cover that I got was from yet a different year LeBaron, so I can't tell what the minies are. Anyway, a word of advice to people that want to do this might be to target the model year that dodge2004srt4 used, because there could definitely be variations on the PDCs. Using the same model year PDC (or at least a PDC with the same relay/fuse diagram under the cover) ultimately means less confusion. I came to the conclusion that if I made a mistake on the wiring, things could get confusing pretty fast.
post #23 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Garrett Booster

It's still a great mod to do, just needs to be fine tuned from year/model to year/model. No fault on dodge2004srt4's part, Ma Mopar tended to use whatever was handy at the time to do their wiring with. Without a comprehensive wiring diagram (which the FSM can be VERY misleading on) this can be somewhat difficult to do on "Special option" vehicles like the VNT cars such as mine. I was, unfortunately, pressed for time and hurried (Hobby shop has limited hours) but with careful reading out from pin to pin to get everything plugged up right, this is a MAJOR improvement over the older FL harness.

Benefits gained for me:
1) Car starts almost immediately; it has NEVER done this as long as I've owned it, and neither did the last one I had.
2) Less strain on the charging system; I picked up about 15-20 amps on the charging cycle.
3) No futzing around replacing a burnt FL; pull out the dead fuse, insert a new one...no more tow truck needed in the sticks!
4) Expandability! If you need to add circuits, just plug and play, but be sure to save the wiring you remove, you will need it to install in the PDC!
post #24 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1988 LeBaron 'vert
Engine: 2.2L I-4

Oh, I totally agree. I just want to point out that the PDC you choose could have different wiring than what was described in the procedure, as the one from the '94 that I pulled did. I also have one remaining question for dodge2004srt4. Why did you put heat shrink over the blue wire for the rad fan relay? My wiring diagram for the '88 shows that is the signal from the ECM to turn the fan on. Isn't this needed? I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking something. Thanks.
post #25 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

That blue wire, if I remember from memory is not need because of the jump from the ignition 20A relay. Im going to have to find out how the whole circuit works for the relays in my PDC so I can help Bill out.

AND yes PDC's vary, main reason I listed where I got mine from and my year Daytona with what options I have because they can vary. Also not all the wires are color coded the same, Im guessing they substituted wire if they temp ran out during production.

This was meant for the near noob to complete using this how-to but I still think you have to have an understanding of circuits to be able to double check your work while you go. Bill, as soon as I get your email I will go out to verify your wiring and make notes myself to adjust the how to, I did the whole how-to from memory as I completed each section and I may have missed the info on the ignition fuse because at first I wasnt going to use it.
post #26 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Garrett Booster

Okay; I sent you pics of the Fan and AC back sides; the red wire to the fan comes off the mini panel, but there's no power to that fuse, I'm going to have to patch in from the power bar when I can get another PDC to cannibalize. I'll be jumpering the fan to get around until payday. I might be getting another harness, so I can wire in the PDC without doing solder splices, I'll go pin-to-pin, and will be adding some feeders for the Narrowband and some other future addons.
post #27 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
Okay; I sent you pics of the Fan and AC back sides; the red wire to the fan comes off the mini panel, but there's no power to that fuse, I'm going to have to patch in from the power bar when I can get another PDC to cannibalize. I'll be jumpering the fan to get around until payday. I might be getting another harness, so I can wire in the PDC without doing solder splices, I'll go pin-to-pin, and will be adding some feeders for the Narrowband and some other future addons.
Lets take this to email or call me to keep the clutter out of the thread.
Check PM.
post #28 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 87 Shelby Charger

please don't worry about the "clutter" I and (maybe others) have been reading along , in case I run into simular probs when I try to do this
post #29 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. JOHNY DODGE View Post
please don't worry about the "clutter" I and (maybe others) have been reading along , in case I run into simular probs when I try to do this
Its due to a variation in the PDC used. Also I did not mention taking the blue/white from the 20A ignition fuse and plugging it into the Rad fan relay location 86. The reason the blue wire gets taped off is because there is another jumper in the PDC from the ASD to the ignition 20A mini fuse that takes the place of the wire taped off. Its not a feed for the relay so it also doesnt need to be 12ga like the original.

If everyone used the same PDC from the same year, make, and model, options ect I dont think there would be any issues with wiring. You cant make this complex a how-to to cover every turbo dodge waiting to be converted and every turbo dodge donor for the PDC.

When you follow the instructions blow by blow and come across something that I state but isnt right in your setup, then you WILL have a problem. Twizter is missing a Gray jumper from the Maxi fuse to his Rad fan relay, so there is one thing that would have opened my eyes in the middle of the conversion. In his defense its not a quick conversion so its an easy oversight, though I havent found out where the Red wire came from in his PDC.

It really is best and maybe I should mention that in an edited how-to that if you are going to complete this, FIND the exact same PDC and there will be little risk of complications due to variations in wiring inside the PDC>
post #30 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

Here are the pics and my response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge2004srt4
Your PDC should have a mini fuse spot for "Ignition 20A" without knowing where your wires go from the relays I cant be of alot of help. The pics were a start and I can only give you my info but you will have to double check.

Some of your wire locations are reversed, now that may or may not make a difference but some relays have a diode going one way between term 85 and 86. There should be a schematic on the side of the relay, if it does you may want to reverse them. Verify this before you switch them, but please verify and dont assume.

Just making sure but, did you do this one wire at a time?

AC relay
Term 85 and 86 are reversed. Unless the relays are missing the diode. Everything else looks good.

Rad fan relay
You should have had 2 gray jumpers coming off the AC,RAD Maxi fuse. One should go to term 30 where that red wire is. The other one went to the AC relay term 30
Second term 85 and 86 are reversed, The Black/pink should be going to harness, and the blue/wh should be going to the "ignition 20A"

Ignition 20A, blue/white goes to the 86 terminal for the Rad fan so that you have engine running fan control. The Blue wire jumps to the ASD relay terminal 86. This fuse is not hot at all times, only when the ASD is working. The fuse is there incase on relay burns up the other doesnt. Along with the jumper.

Looking from the perspective of your pics
top term 30
left term 85
right term 86
bottom term 87
Your relays should be
AC
30 Gray (from Maxi Fuse)
85 Black/orange
86 Green
87 Blue/Black
Rad Fan
30 Gray (from Maxi Fuse)
85 Blue/pink (harness)
86 Blue/white (from Ignition 20A)
87 Green

If you dont have a double jumper off the Maxi fuse for the rad/ac control its possible that the vehicle you got the PDC from did not have AC or it was dealer installed and they didnt change the PDC. Just a thought. If you have any questions, call me.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00017-20101024-0837.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	37629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00018-20101024-0837.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	37630  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fusible links , power distribution center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page