How-to Convert your Fusible links and relays to a PDC. - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Electrical Help and Discussion area for any Electrical issues/diagrams.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1988 LeBaron 'vert
Engine: 2.2L I-4
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: How-to Convert your Fusible links and relays to a PDC.

Chris. Learning more as I read the posts. The PDC from the '94 that I have has the blue wire from the ASD going to one terminal in the ignition fuse. The other terminal in the fuse goes to the radiator fan relay. I still don't understand how this can replace the blue wire from the original relay, but it must somehow be common with the ASD. I need to study my wiring diagram some more.

I only have a single gray wire coming out of the maxi and going to the radiator fan relay. No jumper to the ac clutch relay. However, the location of what would be the gray wire in slot 30 for the ac clutch relay is a red wire that goes to a mini fuse slot. It is probably an 18 or 20 gauge wire. The other terminal for that fuse is a 12 G black wire that feeds power. So this must work in place of the gray wire. I suspect that the AC clutch does not pull a lot of current so you don't need a low gauge wire. So I should be able to go with the PDC that I have. This just goes to show that there are variations from year to year, but with a little time thinking about it, they can be figured out.

Thanks for the time that you've taken to help us out. This is a worth while upgrade and after reading all of your posts, I have a much better grasp of this.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 TII

Quote:
Originally Posted by claroo View Post
Chris. Learning more as I read the posts. The PDC from the '94 that I have has the blue wire from the ASD going to one terminal in the ignition fuse. The other terminal in the fuse goes to the radiator fan relay. I still don't understand how this can replace the blue wire from the original relay, but it must somehow be common with the ASD. I need to study my wiring diagram some more.

I only have a single gray wire coming out of the maxi and going to the radiator fan relay. No jumper to the ac clutch relay. However, the location of what would be the gray wire in slot 30 for the ac clutch relay is a red wire that goes to a mini fuse slot. It is probably an 18 or 20 gauge wire. The other terminal for that fuse is a 12 G black wire that feeds power. So this must work in place of the gray wire. I suspect that the AC clutch does not pull a lot of current so you don't need a low gauge wire. So I should be able to go with the PDC that I have. This just goes to show that there are variations from year to year, but with a little time thinking about it, they can be figured out.

Thanks for the time that you've taken to help us out. This is a worth while upgrade and after reading all of your posts, I have a much better grasp of this.

Chris
The blue wire provided power to the Rad fan to energize it once the SMEC grounded the other terminal. My PDC has a small 18 gauge wire jumped as it does not need to be a large gauge wire. SO that wire left over in your harness is no longer needed, it was resolved in the PDC already. You guys really should be looking for PDC's closer to your model years, 90-92 as I stated, the earlier the better. Heck I would have used a 2004 SRT-4 PDC since I have one sitting here collecting dust but it did not have the quick connections for the battery and Alternator. It will get totally confusing using a PDC from too late a year just because they changed stuff and colors too. Seriously I cant emphasize how important it is to follow an instruction to the letter or un needed issue will arise. Once I find out a way to add the sentence I missed, I am going to BOLD 90-92 PDC only so there arent any more issues.

I can get anyone who wants a proper PDC the correct one, and have it prepared for you so you are that much closer to finishing it. I have access to about a dozen of them. Would only take me an hour max to pick out the wires, clean it up, and box it for shipping after I pull it from the car.
Just a thought.
post #33 of 54 Old 10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Garrett Booster

Thanks for the explanation. I was digging in the wiring diagrams and saw that the DB wire was the ignition and there were two splices that made it common between the ASD relay and the Rad fan. So I guess that you could simply use the blue wire in the car and totally bypass the ignition mini fuse if you wanted to. After this latest round, I think I've got it! Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1990 VNT Daytona
Engine: 2.2L

Pulled another PDC from the yard today; there is a jumper from the ASD relay to the rad fan relay that is not there on mine, so I will be splicing it in tomorrow.
post #35 of 54 Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1990 VNT Daytona
Engine: 2.2L

Got herall sorted out no; there is a black/whire stirped wire in the PDC; cut the FL out of the pink wire that goes to the gray plug, it's a power feed; splice the black/white wire to the pink wire coming from the 50 pin connector (or do what I did, unpin the connectors from the donor car and your car, then you just replace the pink wire with the black/white wire to the 50 pin). Then remove the pink wire from the gray plug, and replace it with the pink wire from the PDC. Once that was done, everything worked. I used a PDC from a 1995 LeBaron Coupe, only had to splice 4 wires. All the rest I un pinned them from the connectors. NOTE: You cannot use later model pins in 90 & below SBEC connectors. They are a different internal diameter and will not make contact with the pin on the SBEC. I (re-)did mine in conjunction with re-looming the harness, and adding a couple of signal and ground taps for some gauges.
post #36 of 54 Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Garrett Booster

Well I went back to the yard and pulled a PDC from a 1991 LeBaron. This one is identical to the one used by dodge2004srt4. All of the wires that were missing in the PDC that I pulled originally from the 1994 LeBaron were there. If anyone decides to do this, the best PDC to get that most closely resembles the pre-1991 wiring is from the 91 or 92 LeBaron or Daytona. Note that these are easy to distinguish on the LeBaron because the PDC contains the 3 relays for the headlight door operation. Anyway, I've put together an excel spread sheet that matches up the wires from my '88 LeBaron to the PDC. This also includes the pin numbers for the Bosch relays. It is pretty close to done, but I will post it once it is finished. If anyone wants it now, PM me with your e-mail address.
post #37 of 54 Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '86 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2

This can also be done in an 86 Turbo Z ? Just checking
post #38 of 54 Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Datoyna Shelby Z
Engine: 2.5

Dear Boostaholic, Sunday December 2, 2012
Iíve got an 87 Daytona & was getting ready to replace the fusible link wires with blade style inline fuse holders. Nothing like being in the middle of nowhere and have something like that go wrong. But then, I came across your thread to install a Power Distribution Center. I tried my local junk yards and theyíve recycled all the old cars. I could get a different kind but from experience itís always easier to follow someone else's success and skip all my screw ups. Any idea where I could get a 92 LaBaron PDC???
DDBob.
post #39 of 54 Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdniteracr1 View Post
This can also be done in an 86 Turbo Z ? Just checking
Does anybody know??
post #40 of 54 Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
1/4: 14.284

With a wiring diagram, soldering iron, heat shrink, and patience...yes, it can be done!
post #41 of 54 Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Hybrid Booster

If I cant find a 90-92 lebaron pdc, what can be used? What pdc would you guys recommend to use?
& does anybody have one for me?
post #42 of 54 Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z TII
1/4: 14.284

G/J-body PDC's didn't start until 1991. They lasted until both models retired: '93 for the G, '95 for the J.

Several others have used fuse/relay boxes from Fords, Neons, Y-bodies, probably others. You just have to have a basic understanding of DC electrics, wiring diagram, and soldering skills. Take your time and it will work.
post #43 of 54 Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Datoyna Shelby Z
Engine: 2.5

A few tips to smooth this mod.

Just got a 91 LeBaron PDC & unfortunately not the same as in this example with a different part # (4661147) and a few amperage differences but we'll make it work. I did this in the rain so take these few tips.
Removing the 50 pin dock connector isn't as easy as described because wires from other hardware get interwoven into the bundle. Also you'll probably have to remove the cruse control module bracket, requires a 10mm deep socket or lots of patience with a 10mm wrench (crescent wrench won't work). The PDC mounting bracket was held to the fender with large plastic pop rivets. Take a long handled chisel as using a screwdriver took a long time. If you choose to just cut the wires (what I eventually did) you still need to remove the cruse control but not necessarily the bracket. Cut the wrap tape to get as much of the wire as possible. Some of the tape was very tough so make sure your knife is sharp. Take good large wire cutters as the bundle is very thick and this way you can cut through a lot of wire quickly. Also there were a few cable ties that had to go.
Warning:
The module was $23.65 but then the cashier said the fuses were $1-2 extra each and relays $5 each. Pissed me off as they didn't tell me that first and there's no way of knowing if the relays are good so I pulled & returned them all. I'll install new Smart Glow fuses & Bosch type relays for less. I foolishly didn't look around first, walking to the cashier I noticed there were other Chrysler vehicles with better PDCs that would've been much easier to remove. Just get one with lots of fuse & relay holders. Big tip; before paying remove the fuses and relays and put them in your sock.
post #44 of 54 Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1990 daytona shelby

Ok, time for me to try and do this on a 90 2.5 auto. Since I already have Bosch relays for the Rad/Fan, A/C Clutch, ASD, I'm guessing that I can just swap the wires from the plugs at the relays with the corresponding ones in the PDC, right? Which means that the only thing I'll be converting other than the FLs is the starter relay which is where I have a question or two. My starter relay has a Bn/Bl and a Yellow (no tracer) rather than a Bn/Y and a Y/Bk wire as in the thread. The PDC I have has a Single yellow wire rather than a double again as in the thread. It (the PDC) also has a Bn/Bl so I'm guessing that I just need to swap the Bn/Bl wires and the Y wires between the old relay and the PDC. The thread says that the Black wire (FL) can be discarded as the PDC has a jumper going from the starter relay pin 30 to the ignition fuse. I'm concerned about this because pin 30 is not part of the starter relay, rather its part of the ASD relay. I'm hoping that this is just a misprint and what was meant was that it goes from Pin 32 to the ignition fuse....Anybody???

BTW, This is an excellent thread, much kudos to the author and all who have contributed!!
post #45 of 54 Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby

Thanks for the thanks! This job is not quick or painless and i would take your time planning it, getting your parts, and completing the job. I would not recommend cutting corners, or using 25 year old relays, the newer, the better cause they corrode and will short over time. Ask your u-pull it if they charge extra for fuses or relays FIRST! If you pocket them, its stealing, at your risk!!

Looks like the pics are no longee hosted, you can visit this site. I gave the pics and write up to the web master back in 2010.

daytonaturbo.com - Power Distribution Center Upgrade

Thanks to all!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fusible links , power distribution center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page