USA common block core - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Parts Wanted Post the turbo dodge parts you are looking for here. TD-specific items only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4Daytonas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Rampage
1/4: 0.000

common block core

Wanted, either 2.2 or 2.5 CB.

My location is south Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 01:08 AM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 1985 Omni GLH-T
Engine: 2.5 Turbo II
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

Re: common block core

Brother's Used Auto Parts USA-TX(Mission) 956-580-3349 shows one on car-part from a 91 Spirit for 300 dollars. Don't know how close that is to you but at least its one you can check on.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

Did you want a turbo block or a non-turbo block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
Did you want a turbo block or a non-turbo block?
What's the diff? I was under the impression they were the same except for the drain back hole. Non turbo block probably less stressed.
ajakeski likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Daytonas View Post
What's the diff? I was under the impression they were the same except for the drain back hole. Non turbo block probably less stressed.
That is the most notable difference the presence or lack thereof of the turbo oil drain back tube hole. As many have theorized, you can just take a N/A block and then drill the needed hole, and that is somewhat true. The reality is though that the turbo block actually has a casting nib at that spot where the hole is machined and this nib is 1/4" or more thick so that the tube has a good solid and deep hole to actually be inserted into. The N/A block(s) that I have seen, do not have this nib for the hole and so therefore, the walls of the hole will only be as wide as the block wall at the oil pan rail is, and that is not very wide. I'm sure that others have drilled the hole, and didn't have any trouble at all getting their tube to seal, but with the wall being thin, the hole needs to be properly machined to get a good very round hole with perpendicular sides to get any sort of good seal and if not, it will be prone to leaking. Of course a generous amount of JB weld might be a short term solution, and it might last for years but then again, many do not know that JBWeld is not petroleum product safe and deteriorates when exposed to grease and oil, especially if it's hot oil.

Maybe a common block N/A block has the nib for the drain back oil tube, I've just not seen one yet and since I had decided to try to go this route a few years ago I did a little homework in the salvage yard and this is what I discovered to be true, at least on the blocks I found.

Of course there will also be the differences in engines with and w/o balance shafts, the crank differences, the oil pan differences, oil pump and the front crank seal retainer plate...but I think most of us realize these as a given.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2017, 04:48 AM
Fox
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 shelby csx
Engine: 2.2 Turbo IV

i just drilled the oil return in a 93 2.5 na and it had the raised portion and was really thick, just depends on what batch the bock was from i geuss, just like some have the raised potions in the front for a rwd engine mount and some don't, later tbi blocks should also be cross drilled from around 93-95 so thats something to consider if your looking for that
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

An '89 2.2 TBI from a Reliant would be a common block.

Other than an 8 bolt flywheel what would it take to use a A523 five speed with this '89 2.2 ? It currently has an automatic. In the past six months I've not seen a single 2.2/2.5 with a manual transmission. I plan to use the motor in a '84 Rampage.

The yard also has a '88 2.2 turbo LeBaron but that can't be a common block.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

I found an '89 2.5 block with 64,000 miles, seems to be a good motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page