Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Looking for 88/89 Daytona SMEC

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  raccoon1 
#1 · (Edited)
Just like the title says. Looking for an 88/89 smec for my 87 Daytona Shelby project (2.2L Turbo II)
Edit: I need a full wiring harness too.
Not sure what these go for, but somewhere between $100 and $150 seems like a reasonable number to me.
Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Hey Isaak,

I may have a SMEC AND a harness you could use. Could be '89 Lebaron 2.2 vintage???
However, looking at this page, you would want an 88 to run your 87 engine? This says the logic was different between the 88 and 89 SMECs, while the 88 is based on 87 logic and the 89 is new: DDG- Port fuel injection & calibrations

Additionally, if someone is able to post the correct part number for the SMEC he needs and some ways to identify the harness, that would be helpful! (I have 4 harnesses in a box, I think 2 have the large 60pin SMEC connector)
This site also has some good info (says that a 89 SMEC would be a 2.5 only, in that case, no idea where my stuff came from): The 1988 - 1989 Turbo I SMEC - MiniMopar Resources

Where are you located? I'm in greater Detroit and wouldn't want to ship a harness and SMEC if they turn out to be not what you are looking for! If I do have what you need, then we can discuss pricing.

Cheers.

#8 ·
I will have a chat with the bro tomorrow if I can remember and see if I can confirm what it takes to put the SMEC electronics into an 87 G-body.

Pretty sure it was E/C harness and dash harness and everything else pretty well plugged in IMS

#12 · (Edited)
Dang, will check on this today, sorry for delay.....

So, 87 column and right/ left body plugs are the same as well as pinouts.(possibly 2 speaker pins that need to change)

Brent seems to remember having to reverse the heater blower mtr wiring or it will run backwards. (should be obvious by color of wires, green and black IMS)

Also there was something to do with cruise/ brake switch, but I'm sure we could sort that out over PM's.

So you would need complete dash wiring and engine compartment wiring from 88 or 89 as either should be the same. G-body would be best.

I prob have these and should prob take a look lol

#14 ·
Doing some more reading, it seems the turbo I and turbo II smec's are identical in every way except tune. Since I plan to socket the smec, any t1/t2 smec should be okay. The harness will still have to be g-body though.
If anyone knows better please feel free to correct me.

#16 ·
Thanks for posting the link!

I never saw it before but bought a SMEC from UNA way back around 2005.

It was supposed to be socketed with a MP 2.5 T-I cal but it had issues.

It started and ran normal until I floored it, then it just flooded.

I had the original and several others and they all worked fine.

He was no help at all, just telling me to check cam timing etc.

He got banned so I forgot about it until now.

I'll have to open it up and see if its socketed like in the link.

If so I could probably try another cal.

I'm electronically dumb but could possibly swap the EPROM

If that's the correct term.

Thanks
Randy

#19 ·
Okay so I ended up finding a smec and harness at a local junkyard off of an 89 shadow tbi. Based on my reading the computer won't work for what I want, however, can I modify the wiring harness to suit my needs with the Daytona? Will a turbo SMEC hook up to this harness okay?

#21 ·
Why do you want to use SMEC?
SMEC is superior to LM/ Power module in so many ways. Just a better ECU with better program capability, faster data sampling, most "head room" of any of the turbo ECU's, more accurate spark, the list goes on and on...….

We converted to SMEC back in the 90's and never looked back.

Now that's not to say you can't get away with using the LM, and depending on application, the LM can fit the build. (14psi or less) Or if you're capable of tuning the LM and have spent the hrs to get it right, it's usable. I just figure if your going to spend the time, why not use something better.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.