1984 Chrysler Laser XE - $7000 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Cars For Sale Post whole cars for sale ONLY. TD-specific cars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By TwistedGray

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

1984 Chrysler Laser XE - $7000

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: carform_post -->
Category: Domestic

I have a 1984 Chrysler Laser XE for sale, in Alberta - Region A.

Asking price was $7000. It is now $5,000.

California - Central Coast (100mi South of San Francisco)

1984 Chrysler Laser XE
37,700+ miles
5 speed manual
$7,000

While I expect $7,000 may be a stretch, I do not think you will find as low of a mileage Laser in as good condition as this one. I am certainly open to offers, so if you are truly interested but feel my asking price is astronomically high message me and we can discuss. The longer I can deter you good folks from buying it, the more I can appreciate it and drive it around :)

With that said, here is the history.

The car was purchased from Pacific Coast Interprises (Santa Cruz, CA) in 1984 by Dwight Garis on October 30th, 1984 for $16,547. (I have all of the original documentation, some of which I have posted to the FB group.) Dwight bought it while living in Felton, CA and eventually took it up to Oregon where he currently resides. From there, it sat in a garage and was rarely driven. He kept the registration current and took it out for cruises every once in a while. It was definitely not a daily driver by any means. (From the second owner, also on TD forums) "I'm the second owner, and the original owner, despite barely putting any miles on the car from 1993 until 2015, still kept it registered and smog tested it as required, all recorded in the CarFax report."

The second owner flew up to Oregon in 2015, and they drove the car back. I forget what the mileage was when he bought it; however, I know he didn't drive it much since. If I am not mistaken, it had 37k when he bought it and 37k when I bought it from him (I am almost positive I have put more miles on it in the short time I have had it). I believe that he bought it to fix it up and sell it, but it sat around for three years. He, too, would drive it once in a while to keep everything in working order, and it remained on the road during this time (again, from memory).

I bought it for the nostalgia of it. My first car was a 1986 Laser XT (red, no t-top), and after years and year and years of searching I found this one.

I have replaced the windshield wiper wiring, tubing as well as some small wiring under the hood. While it was not a mouse house, it did have a few mice related issues (mainly in the washer area because it is a nice dry area under the hood). I have not tracked down the last issue which is a power load issue (thread on TD about this). There is a likely (I am not a mechanic) short somewhere in the network of ground wires (there are three contact points) which causes the engine to increase RPMs when applying a load to the car (load = electric load ... heater and/or air conditioning). That is one of two issues with the car...the second is complex because I can't quite figure it out.

There is some issue with the radiator fluid reservoir that I cannot wrap my head around. The second owner claimed the reservoir was cracked and leaking. I flushed the radiator and removed reservoir, examined it for leaks, and it is fine. With that said, I had the same issue as the previous owner...filled with fluid, drove it around to get to operating temp., and parked it where it then leaked out some fluid. I at a loss, but for now it's holding fluid (you'll know when it's not courtesy of the car yelling at you).

Those are the two main issues that the car has; otherwise, it runs perfect. The interior is in immaculate condition with exception of the headliner (pull and replace). It has no dash cracks nor any leather issues (some rubbing on the driver side exit area - left pad that run along your left side as you are sitting). The buttons are squishy and finicky (I guess this is the norm.), but they all work. Everything electrical works fine, power everything still works.

The car is everything I had hoped for! With the very low mileage, amazing interior, and great exterior I feel that my asking price is fair (if not a little high).

Note: You will find the another thread on here that I started (search under my name) about a rear end collision. The car was rear-ended in a parking lot at a mall (I have pictures of both cars to show the extent of the damage). I have not fixed the car (small indention in the lower right, rear bumper), and I will leave that decision to the new owner. If the new owner wants it repaired, it will be repaired through insurance at no cost. If the new owner does not want to risk the blemish on the otherwise untouched history, I will not discount the car accordingly. In fact, you can heat and pop it out...I won't...you can.

Surely I will regret this ... probably unlikely to find another in as good of condition. It took me 10-15 years to find this one...but I had my fun! I don't want to keep it to myself.

Here is a picture from taking it down Highway 25 and Highway 198 this weekend in search of wild flowers. I am happy to text/msge pictures and videos of the car to interested parties. I also would not hesitate to drive this anywhere (coast to coast, sure), but it is 35 years old...I am sure things will continue to need addressing as the mileage racks up and the years go by.

ps: Starting today, Craigslist charges $5 per listing for vehicles, so that kind of sucks.

<!-- END TEMPLATE: carform_post -->
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser 01 - Copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	253749  

Last edited by TwistedGray; 05-08-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Re: 1984 Chrysler Laser XE - $7000

Update: I talked to the second owner yesterday afternoon, "The car had about 32K when I bought it. I put about 5000 miles on the car over 3 years, with most of that during the first year I had it."
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 PM
AA3
TD New Guy

Any more photos? Body/engine/interior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2019, 11:03 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 85 Chrysler Laser XE
Engine: 2.2L Turbo I
Induct: Turbo

Looks beautiful, definitely worth your asking price if not more! If I had any more room in the garage, I would fly out there to buy it in a heartbeat.
Good luck with the sale!
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaserLover View Post
Looks beautiful, definitely worth your asking price if not more! If I had any more room in the garage, I would fly out there to buy it in a heartbeat.
Good luck with the sale!

Thank you, but I think it is priced at the high end. I am sure if I listed it for $3,000-4,000 it would sell a lot quicker; however, I have my wife's nursing school to pay for, so I'll gamble for a bit.

It'll probably end up on BaT in the coming weeks should there be no interested, or I will wait until RADWOOD comes to Monterey later this Summer.

In other news, I didn't realize I joined this site in 2012. That'll give you an idea how long it took for me to find a car in this condition, doh! Or I just stopped looking for a while...
85LaserLover likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

First offer near $5,500 drives it home.

Toying with the idea of tossing it up on BAT just to see what it gets, but I don't want to be heartbroken.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-03-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

For those interested and/or following along, I took a deposit on the car a few days ago.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-08-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

It is still for sale.

Do you think it is worth posting on Bring a Trailer? Anyone want to guess what it would fetch...
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Let the bidding begin - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chrysl...E/372670154225

ps: Bring A Trailer denied the listing. " Unfortunately, we do not feel that your 1984 Chrysler Laser is a good fit for our site and audience."
post #11 of 12 Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

BAT replied to my appeal with
Quote:
Recently, we’ve been inundated with submissions, especially in the general price range of your Laser of under $10k, which means we’ve had to make tough decisions and turn down a lot of cars including yours.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-20-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

Less than a day left in the auction, and it's been at the $2800 amount for a few days. Remember...whatever mine sells for is a precedent of what yours is worth. Preserve your value and buy mine! ; )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chrysler , clean title , laser xe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page