Fender Side Scoops - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-24-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

Fender Side Scoops

I came across a pair of side scoops for the fenders on a Rampage. I've seen some pics with them installed. However, I don't know if I want to install them on mine. I've read they've been called dust catchers in a thread or two. They're not functional, merely cosmetic.

I would welcome your opinions as to whether I should install these or not.

https://goo.gl/photos/e36CMSqmz37c6L3y8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Boostaholic

Re: Fender Side Scoops

neat. share some pics of them on a car?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

I think they might look cool. but the body shop will hate you for it (charge extra) and looks like some drilling will be needed, and for what its worth the extra weight for a totally non-functional bolt on. Now if you were to tuck an oil cooler up in there in the fender and open a hole to let the air flow, that would be a different matter. It's sometimes hard to balance the desire for some cool look with the actual practicality of it all. But all that being said, if you're not going for a Bonneville salt flats run against the clock, do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-24-2016, 11:35 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: glhs 248

Cool Re: Fender Side Scoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwest View Post
I came across a pair of side scoops for the fenders on a Rampage. I've seen some pics with them installed. However, I don't know if I want to install them on mine. I've read they've been called dust catchers in a thread or two. They're not functional, merely cosmetic.

I would welcome your opinions as to whether I should install these or not.

https://goo.gl/photos/e36CMSqmz37c6L3y8
Ok you can tube them and flange tube add a gasket onto the inner fender well side of fenders ....Then drill and mount scoops to fender with holes lining up to the tubing and the flange ends so they will work now. Note >>> You can install a flapper to the inside the vent on the fender as well to control the air flow threw them!!!

Ok if the part don't work now asis then make it work not just look good.

SO THATS WHAT I'D DO WITH THEM NOW!
mike0007!
post #5 of 11 Old 07-25-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@masterjunior3333, I just Googled for the pics. There are some pics in this forum. I just searched for "fender side vents". I haven't taken any pics myself.

@ILIKESHELBYS , thanks for your sage advice. I figured it would be some extra body work to get them installed. It appears that the scoop is facing the door, not the other way. I've "only" got a SC installed so I'm not planning to go to drag racing extremes. The scoops are really lightweight plastic, no real net impact to the weight. Maybe some drag over 100MPH? Anyway, it seems they're uncommon on a Rampage, maybe even rare? Wonder if they might add some to the value.

@mike0007 , such a unique perspective from the great white north (I liked the McKenzie Bros.).

Thanks all for the feedback, keep 'em coming!
post #6 of 11 Old 07-25-2016, 04:47 PM
TD Hardcore User!

I have no idea what Mike said but I wouldn't hesitate to put them on.

They are factory cool, not do dads.

They sell easily if you don't install them, someone was looking for a set on T-M a while back.

Thanks
Randy
post #7 of 11 Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

OK, here's the next question. Which would look better installed? Painted to match exterior color or different color to make them stand out. I've seen both in pics. Interior is charcoal gray and am leaning towards black ( I know how hard it is to keep clean). May lighten it some if I find a good alternative.

@mike0007, this one's for you buddy!

post #8 of 11 Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 PM
TD Hardcore User!

I like them body color with the black hole, factory style.

Thanks
Randy
post #9 of 11 Old 07-25-2016, 11:25 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Rampage 2.2

@Wildwest

I agree painted to match the body color with black opening/insert. That's how they originally came. I've seen the differential color - not to my taste but it may appeal to others that way.

If you decide not to use them I'd be interested in buying them if you don't want them laying around.

Steven
post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: glhs 248

Cool Re: Fender Side Scoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwest View Post
OK, here's the next question. Which would look better installed? Painted to match exterior color or different color to make them stand out. I've seen both in pics. Interior is charcoal gray and am leaning towards black ( I know how hard it is to keep clean). May lighten it some if I find a good alternative.

@mike0007, this one's for you buddy!

https://youtu.be/gUjS5phhRyE
Thanks ! Well this over head railway it's not in my area at all ....
The gardener express way in Toronto CANADA don't look like this.
Well it does look similar underneath it,,, when your driving on Lakeshore Boulevard.

Semi gloss or mat black on charcoal would look nice,,, with a banding stripe around it,,, I_IIIII fading bars thick to thin accented YEP like in the OMNI GLHS decals. I'd use piece of 3M black vinyl $10.00 no painting needed and wrap them up.

KOOL!!!
mike0007!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

The band from that video is one of my personal favorites and probably the least known. Max Webster was a rock band in the 70's from....wait for it...TORONTO. There's an interesting back story about the band, but that would be off topic. BTW, it was shot in Queens, NY. Cruisinsg, stereo cranked and getting stoned without a care in the world (man, I miss those days).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page