Official LeBaron Thread! - Page 115 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1711 of 1753 Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

My Ride: 1986 LeBaron Vert
Engine: MOPAR 2.2L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Re: Official LeBaron Thread!

Ok, one item, both the K and J bodies have the same style rear suspension, no struts, two coil springs on trailing arms joined by an upside down U shaped axle with the rear sway bar inside the U. There are regular tube shocks there. The flex lines go from the body to the trailing arms and go back to steel lines to the original drum brakes on the K body. The J body rear disc system uses two hoses, one on the body to trailing arm and one from the rear of the trailing arm to the caliper. I am assuming it has rear discs as that is what the parts fiche seems to show for both G and J bodies in 1989. If not, it should at least have the 220 mm drums and larger front discs.

My plan is to pull the complete rear suspension out from under it and the rear parking brake cables and hoses all the way to the body. On the front, since the power train is coming out (I need the 2.5L short block for a 16V hybrid later on) I will take the knuckles off the struts and probably just drop the K member, rack and lower control arms as a unit.

Bill Vose
1986 LeBaron convertible 2.2L turboII
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1753 Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: Scamp GT

O.K.X...? When I used the word strut bracket I was referring to the front brake hoses that have a metal piece that is attached to the front struts on the '89 as do many years of many cars. These will be in the way of a smooth transition when you do the conversion. You still have to come over that beam rear axle or the trailing arms with those rubber lines to go from the hard line to the calipers. L-body has leaf springs back there K+J -bodys have coils, NBD. Just trying to be helpful...I'm gonna take ah nap now! G.L. with your conversion, Jer
post #1713 of 1753 Old 04-26-2017, 02:30 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

Garage

If it makes you feel better Jer, I followed what you were saying. Bill will have an easier time than you did because the rear suspension of a J is based on the K, so it's darn near a plug and play op. You had to do a ton of changes not only because it was an L body, but because it was a Scamp which uses a truck leaf-style rear end. You know you do everything that hard way, right?

The car is looking good Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1753 Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilcowRoland View Post
If it makes you feel better Jer, I followed what you were saying. Bill will have an easier time than you did because the rear suspension of a J is based on the K, so it's darn near a plug and play op. You had to do a ton of changes not only because it was an L body, but because it was a Scamp which uses a truck leaf-style rear end. You know you do everything that hard way, right?

The car is looking good Bill.
Yeah I know Brian, but it's so damn close I thought I'd help the kid out. You know I never do anything easy on my toyz anyway. I should have the little Trucklet back from Philadelphia in ah few weeks all done and boostin' strong and It'z finally runnin' so I know we're close, OU-RAH. You and Mama gettin' settled in the new digz Pal? Haven't heard much from you lately, Still unpackin?. We gonna split ah couple cold ones at Carlisle this July? Where'z that thumbz up Icon when yeah want it? lol
post #1715 of 1753 Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Brian, thanks, it still has a long way to go (SBEC is apparently FUBAR). BigBarney, unless you were born waaay before 1946, I don't think I really qualify as a kid, I will be 71 next Saturday and FWIW, this isn't my first go at this stuff. 1964 Falcon with a bad case of snakebite (Cobra type), a 1966 GT350 I put two 4 barrel Holleys on the 289, my original T2K-CAR which started as a 2.6L Mitsubishi complete with the POS feedback carb, a 1986 F-350, originally 460 carbureted with a C6, now MAF/SEFI and E4OD and also has automatic headlights, an electronic day/night mirror with compass, remote keyless entry and the Ford door keypad, auto down driver's window and working on an EATC system for it.

Bill Vose
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #1716 of 1753 Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Boostaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
Brian, thanks, it still has a long way to go (SBEC is apparently FUBAR). BigBarney, unless you were born waaay before 1946, I don't think I really qualify as a kid, I will be 71 next Saturday and FWIW, this isn't my first go at this stuff. 1964 Falcon with a bad case of snakebite (Cobra type), a 1966 GT350 I put two 4 barrel Holleys on the 289, my original T2K-CAR which started as a 2.6L Mitsubishi complete with the POS feedback carb, a 1986 F-350, originally 460 carbureted with a C6, now MAF/SEFI and E4OD and also has automatic headlights, an electronic day/night mirror with compass, remote keyless entry and the Ford door keypad, auto down driver's window and working on an EATC system for it.
Schew, O.K. Glad you finally saw the lite and found the Mopar camp. Oh, And BTW kid, I'll celebrate #78 come Memorial day weekend. I waz 4 months old when Hitler invaded Poland and I remember it well, lol. So, neither of us just fell off the turnip truck and I didn't mean to imply that you did by the kid remark, just a figure of speech. I started in '54 with a '37 Phord 2D sedan, then '32 3 window coupe, then ah '34 3 window coupe, and then more '39 and '40 coupes and sedans then I can to remember plus ah '47 knuckle head hawg and ah couple Triumph's. Obviously all 59AB flat head stuff in those yearz. I actually drove for a company that named Bigbarney's inc. for ah while like the young ones toy purple dinosaur hence the name. Folks that like me just call me Jer, short for Gerald, for those that don't? 'Til I waz 15 called me Dammit Jerry but right at the start of my 15th year I got ah peak and my Birth Certificate and saw that Dammit wasn't on there so I put a stop the that crap real quick. If you need help you have car-buds up there in your back yard(Brian being just one) so I'll back away and say,. Welcome to the 4 cylinder turbo scene, Jer
post #1717 of 1753 Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Jer, or should I say Dammit Jerry (my youngest thought his name was Dammit Matthew for years) I have had turbo experience, first was my dad's 66 Corsa, I had one of the original turbo cars, a 1963 Jetfire. I put my first turbo Chrysler together in 2005 after the 2.6L developed cracks in 3 of the 4 combustion chambers. This is a rebirth of that project since I wisely saved the powertrain. The engine is a 1988 Service long block I scored from a local junkyard (traded him an old Win 95 Dell Laptop for the parts). Engine was in a 1987 LeBaron 4 dr sedan, covered with oil due to excessive use of RTV on the intermediate shaft seal housing blocking the drain hole so the seal blew out. When I started cleaning it, I found a date on the block casting of 1-8-88, 5 bolt crank pulley. Cleaned it off, found brass freeze plugs and gray/green paint on the block. Pulled the head, still had the cross hatching on the cylinder walls. Pulled the pan and damn near crapped my pants, massive rods, forged crank, sort what have I got here? Found out, after the common block in 1989, all remaining unsold T2 long blocks were put in stock as service engines for any pre-1989 turbo replacement.

After talking to another turbo nut in Cary NC, he sent me a two piece intake and the parts to socket the 1987 LM so I could have a true T2 setup, scored a 1989 T2 Garret on eBay for $127 to complete the package. I am looking forward to getting T2K-CAR (VA license plates) back on the road so I can embarrass Mustangs and bait Honduhs and Accras.

Bill Vose
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #1718 of 1753 Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Boostaholic

Glad we finally got on the same page. What do folks call you when their not mad at you? Brian and Chris I've met. We've swapped lies and swatted flies in Richmond and Carlisle. My Turbo fleet as we speak consists of a sweet SoCal clean '87 LeBaron TI coupe W/ digital everything(grabbed in October of '15 with 78K on the clock) The other is an '83 Plymouth GT Scamp now in 2.5L TII form that's coming together in Mr. Slowes shop in Philadelphia.(ah long boring read by it self on why he has it) Should be back in My garage by Memorial Day so we can let the ricers in the neighborhood know that ah boom box and 6" muffler tip don't make 'um go fast. Too many mods. on the little Plum Crazy trucklet to bore you with at this time so I'll leave that for another day and not clutter up you project thread. Happy Boosting, Jer
post #1719 of 1753 Old 04-27-2017, 09:50 AM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5

Garage

I'm doing good Jer, thanks. We're settled in and still unpacking some things. I won't have my garage open for a bit. It's full of the wife's books at the moment. Work in progress.

I'll be at Carlisle along with Chris and our respective fathers. I'll take you up on that cold one for sure buddy.

As to the subject matter of the thread, looks like I'll be getting my '94 convertible back from my sister this year so i can start work on cleaning it up and doing some long overdue maintenance. Long term plans likely include a 543 swap and some suspension upgrades.

-Brian

90 Daytona Shelby
96 Jeep XJ
post #1720 of 1753 Old 04-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

Jer, depending on who, how long I have know them, family and classmates call me Alan (dad went by Bill) most automotive nuts call me Bill. Several of my friends refer to me a "Lord of the Blue Oval" due to my knowledge of some of the more arcane Ford stuff. The screen name started on eBay when I joined and was looking for parts (turbo in particular) so when I joined TD in 2005 it was pretty much a given to use. If either of you guys come across an external trans cooler (standard on cars with the 2.6L and optional on others. I need one as my konvertible has a modified A413 since there were no factory 5 speeds and installing one is a royal PITA due to the reinforcements.

Bill Vose
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #1721 of 1753 Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Boostaholic

O.K. and Thanks for the name. I'll go with Bill. Ah source for your trans cooler Bill. Web search: www.car-part.com and scroll down 'til you find it spelled exactly the way I sent it (WITH THE "-" (BETWEEN CAR AND PART) Any other site that you see there and click on will put you on the wrong site! You'll be looking thru' 140 Million parts and who knows how many thousand wrecking yards for your trans. cooler. Fill in the blanks it asks you for and have your VISA ready. That site has been very handy for me over the years especially with the Rampage and Turbo stuff. With the 40-50 year old Mopar big car stuff not so much. the whole country cashed in when all the yards saw big dollar signs when China built the Olympic Village in Beijing ah few years back. I know of one yard in Michigan that crushed 5 ACRES of G,J,K, and L bodys when it got up to $200+ per ton. I still cry about that one. Drove 'bout an hour and 30 minutes and could see in side the yard when I pulled up that there was ONE LONELY HORIZON sittin' in ah 5 acre grassy field. I walked in and said I just stop to say hi and good by 'cuz lookin' at that grassy field inside your front gate tells me there ain't nothin' in this yard for me, and I U-turned and drove back home. You're about to find more 2.6L trans. coolers then 10 people need lol, Jer
post #1722 of 1753 Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

One slight problem, it won't let me select transmission cooler, no category.
post #1723 of 1753 Old 04-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Boostaholic

Chase it from Make+ model+ 2.6L and ask them if the car is still in their yard--------- WIN WIN THE CAT IS SKINNED, Jer
post #1724 of 1753 Old 04-30-2017, 08:19 AM
Old School Hot Rodder

Garage

I may have found an aftermarket source, description sounds close to the same size as the original. On another note, when the junk engine was running, the front mount apparently lost some bolts, it was only attached at the bottom to the transaxle case. The engine was restrained with a bungy cord and a piece of flat perforated strapping like pipes are hung with from the head to the radiator support. It looks like before the strap was installed, possibly when the mount broke or came off, that the engine torqued enough to do some interesting damage to the crossmember under the radiator. Now I have a problem, do I try to get a section from another car or maybe scab this one after straightening the damaged area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1967a.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	224546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1969a.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	224554  

Bill Vose
1986 F350 Crew Cab DRW
2011 Flex Limited
post #1725 of 1753 Old 04-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Boostaholic

Damn Bill. Sent us some good news once in ah while will yeah? 1st. If that after market trans. cooler fits where it needs to go, break out your VISA and get after it. Your transmission will never know the difference. 2ndly. With that damage to the bottom rail, you're kinda playing with a double edged sward. You can see the damage to the cross member but what damage was done to the mount hanger AND the mount? Core support's are out there from the source that I gave you. You'd be looking at the '85+'86 GTS EX model. That will cover K-body Lebaron, Dodge 600 and and a few others for those two years. If it was me I'd go core support, front mount and mount hanger but that's the way my head works and I'll add here that I don't pay your expenses. Either way the work you do has to be WELDED IN SPOT ON for the core support, mount, and mount hanger to set where it needs to be to work right and be balanced. I appropriated the 2.5L TI from an '89 Lebaron convertible for my GT Scamp and then swapped a 3.0L into the vert. 'cuz I just happened to have it laying around just so I could broom the Vert. That little project required ALL THREE MOUNTS AND MOUNT HANGERS AS WELL AS THE ENTIRE CORE SUPPORT and that was the easy part of that swap. Mother didn't put the 3.0L in the LeBaron until 1990 and then she matched it to the 4spd overdrive trans, NOT THE 3SPD AUTOMATIC like I wanted to put in it. You ever open a hood of anything with a 4spd. overdrive and look at the bag of snakes on that engine from the 2nd. computer on the passenger frame rail? It took me finding a complete under hood harness from an '88 New Yorker to match that 3.0L to the 3spd. automatic and have the right wire in that harness to flip the headlite doors in the '89 Lebaron..I'm lmao remembering! Took me a year and a half to complete the swap and I think I broke even. I've always been too fearful to add it up G.L. which ever way you jump Man, Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lebaron thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page