Official Rampage/Scamp Thread - Page 22 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 557 Old 09-22-2016, 04:44 PM
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

Hello, everyone! I'm glad I found this forum! I have had a hard time getting information about the 1984 Rampage Prospector I've recently acquired. I'm looking forward to picking everyone's brains, on my quest to get this lil guy roadworthy again. It is currently "running," but the exhaust consists of inches of pipe bolted to the engine, pointed at the gas tank. I haven't gotten to do anything to it yet, aside from slapping a refurbished carburetor on it and cranking it to make sure it would actually crank before I paid the guy anything. I was unaware of these things before now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 557 Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C

Re: Official Rampage/Scamp Thread

@Giersh , welcome to the wonderful world of the Rampage & Scamp. You will find this forum is among the best for learning and seeking help for your truck (yes, it is officially classified as a truck!)

There are several categories available. For what you're asking about, I would recommend posting in the General one that includes Exhaust. It sounds like you need to replace what sounds like a very poor bubble gum and band aid fix. I wouldn't want hot exhaust gases pointed at the fuel tank. Normally, the exhaust pipe extends to the rear below the bumper on the left side. Take it to an exhaust shop and see what they would recommend.

I would be very helpful to do a lot of background research so you can learn more about the Rampage and it's history. Wikipedia has a comprehensive page devoted to it. The more you Google, the more you will learn and see what others have done with their Rampages. Here's a page that is pretty thorough, this site is great for learning about the "trucklet" and it's 2.2L engine:

It's easy to become overwhelmed at first (voice of experience here). At least the engine is running and sounds like it could be drivable with a few proper repairs. The Rampage is a real head turner out on the road. Expect it to be confused with a Subaru Brat or a VW Rabbit truck. Once you learn up, you can explain why it's different...and so cool!
post #318 of 557 Old 09-23-2016, 01:38 PM
TD New Guy

I am pretty new to the whole mechanical bit. I've done my fair share of necessary repair work on numerous busted vehicles over the last decade or so, but it has been simpler stuff, for the most part. I have been a tinkerer all my life (disassembled my first electronic toy at age 5; a little driving toy/game, shaped like the front end of a Porsche 911 with a steering wheel, that had a set of rollers that ran a strip of canvas [with a road printed on it] in an infinite loop; when your little car-on-a-stick touched the wire at the edge of the road, it made an Operation buzz).

Beyond the drive to figure out how things worked, I only tinkered under the hood of my rides when they were broken. As such, I've not done any kind of performance-enhancement-related work before.

The TLDNR version is that I plan to use this Rampage as my first tuning project. I have read a bunch of reviews on them, from when they were in production, and it appears that they not only look neat, but are also pretty beastly little vehicles, that not only go fast-ish (when running right, of course), but also handle quite well.

Since they're such odd little things, and are apparently capable of rather impressive feats of performance in a few different ways, I figure this is the time to put my tinkering in action on a vehicle, instead of a MAME cabinet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #319 of 557 Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Level 2 Supporter

I have my roots in consumer electronics, installed and operated several CB radios, worked in a Radio Shack back when they had "The Wall", sold TVs,vcrs, camcorders, installed car stereos, worked for that little company formerly known as Compaq (watch Silicone Cowboys documentary), designed and programmed home automation systems for $1M + custom homes...

The Rampage is unique in many ways. The leaf springs for the bed were designed to hold up to 1\2 ton (though don't try that at home!). What makes them capable of so much speed is that most all the weight is at the front. With front wheel drive, that offers so much more potential. Omni's and Chargers would have to strip the back seat and such to even try getting close. Handling is not so good stock though. The trick is to "Shelby-ise" as much as you can. Rampage will interchange a lot of common parts with other L-bodys, like the Omni and Charger to name a few. However, the rear suspension is unique, for obvious reasons.

If you like taking things apart, first thing I would recommend is to rip out the ECU, all the pollution control crap, and while you're at it, take off the stock Holley POS carb and air intake/filter housing. Then get a REAL Weber 38 DGAS (there are some Chinese knock offs out there) with a jetting kit. Oh, and a nice K&N chrome air filter for the top. Start tuning with the carb, that should keep you occupied for a good while. Once it's running fine you should notice a significant difference with just that done to it.

Me, this is my mid-life crisis machine. I'm keeping it old school for the most part, sticking with a carb. Brings me back to my old muscle car days when I was a teenager. Go find my intro post down the thread back in May and you can take a look at my Rampage.
post #320 of 557 Old 09-24-2016, 06:28 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1983 Dodge Rampage

Hi Everyone,

In July 2009 I purchased a 1983 Rampage with automatic transmission from a Chrysler employee from California. The car was garaged for most of it's life and is totally rust-free. It had a complete paint job by the previous owner in 2000 due to fading. Since I've purchased it I have:

-removed and completely rebuilt the engine (bored .020 over new pistons, crank did not need turning)

-installed new camshaft
-installed a new timing belt, water pump, and fuel pump

-refurbished sections of the seats

-bought, resurfaced, and installed 15 inch aluminum rims with new oversized tires

-fitted it with a Camero-style muffler with dual exhaust

-made a tonneau cover and had it fibreglassed & painted,

-removed the rear bumper and fibreglassed a bumper of my own design

All the modifications I have done can be put back to original if desired

I still have the original bumper and muffler (which was new), and the 14 inch rally wheels that were on the car when I purchased it. It had 119,000 miles on it and I've put another 10,000 on since I've owned it. I live in Ontario, Canada but the car has been garaged during the winter, only driven during the summer months and never in the rain. From an '84 Rampage I owned previously, I have two front fenders, complete wiring harness, rally style instrument cluster, interior door panels, tail gate, a few carburetors, and several other parts that would be included with purchase. I was an auto mechanic for 46 years (the last 30 of them with a Chrysler dealership). I'm getting to be an old boy and it's time to start selling some of my toys. I've invested about $15,000 CDN into it over the years and am asking for $10,000 CDN. If interested, please forward inquiries to [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4797.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	209289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4695.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	209297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4808.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	209305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	209313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2348.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	209321  

post #321 of 557 Old 09-25-2016, 12:21 AM
Level 2 Supporter

You need to have a mod move your post to the For Sale section.
post #322 of 557 Old 09-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Naturally Aspirated

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

It does look very nice however!
post #323 of 557 Old 11-15-2016, 11:55 AM
TD New Guy

Just bought a 82 Rampage. Needs some work but was running well when parked a few years ago. No rust but need to drain the gas lines and clean the tank. Need some basic instruction how to do this.
Also trying to remove door panels. Removed arm rest screws but can't figure out how to remove the upper part of the door pull. Any ideas.
Thanks, excited to get this baby running. Paid $350. Interior mint but needs a paint job.
post #324 of 557 Old 11-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: Scamp GT

Ah couple things Danial. When you say it hasn't run in a few years, HOW MANY? You may not have to drain it but just dilute it with a fresh tank full. It's a real PITA to drop the tank,so lets try blowing out the fuel line first. Make a trip to any Auto Parts Store and pick up ah couple cans of Brake Clean and a fuel filter. Look close at the filter that hooked up and how. There are "THREE" nipples at the filter AND just inside the passenger strut tower that come forward from the fuel cell. You want to disconnect both rubber ends of just the big line at the strut tower NOT the filter. Then attach the little plastic tube that came with your brake clean to the squirt nozzle on the can and give it a few squirts. wait a few minutes and then do it again, wait and then again, and wait and then again. FYI, Brake Clean will devolve the shellac and then evaporate quickly. After you're done blowing out that line, then change the filter. As for the plastic inner door handle. Pull it open and jam a screw driver blade behind the spring loaded lever to hold it open and then remove the Phillips head screw holding the handle to the lever. BTW, That 3"X12" plastic piece that's part of the door panel will slide to the rear just less then an inch and will separate from the door panel. The round Bezel around mirror adjusting knob can be removed by crossing two small flat blade screw drivers in the bezel notches and twisting counter clock wise. Now go forth and slay the Dragon And keep us all posted, Jer
post #325 of 557 Old 11-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

There is a small phillips head screw that goes in from the bottom when the upper part of the pull attaches to the door. It's a little tough to see, and you need a fairly long screwdriver to access (or a really short one). Then it should come off. Look for the crecent shaped cutout in the bottom on the chrome trim ring, and you will see where the screw is.
post #326 of 557 Old 11-27-2016, 07:10 PM
TD New Guy

The car has been sitting for about 8 years. so I think the tank may need to be drained.
post #327 of 557 Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM
TD New Guy

Thanks for the great advice on draining the tank and the door panel. Will start work in a couple of weeks.
post #328 of 557 Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Dodge Rampage

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. I just picked up a 1984 Rampage that someone spent a lot of money restoring. I haven't gotten it yet, still arranging shipping. It's funny, my first new car was actually a 1984 Shelby Charger (wish I still had it) but sold long ago to buy an Iroc-Z.

I'm looking forward to getting it soon. It looks like it had an interesting history; it started out life as a GTE Bell company car in Erie, PA.

The seller told me it's missing the owner's manual. Anyone have a 1984 Rampage owners manual they want to part with? There's nothing on eBay for 84.

Have a great day all - and it's good to be here!

john
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	220210  
post #329 of 557 Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyride View Post
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. I just picked up a 1984 Rampage that someone spent a lot of money restoring. I haven't gotten it yet, still arranging shipping. It's funny, my first new car was actually a 1984 Shelby Charger (wish I still had it) but sold long ago to buy an Iroc-Z.

I'm looking forward to getting it soon. It looks like it had an interesting history; it started out life as a GTE Bell company car in Erie, PA.

The seller told me it's missing the owner's manual. Anyone have a 1984 Rampage owners manual they want to part with? There's nothing on eBay for 84.

Have a great day all - and it's good to be here!

john

That's the one that's been for sale on ebay forever. I guess the seller finally came down to a reasonable price? None of my business what you paid for it. I just know when I first saw the listing, they wanted stupid money for it. I know they dropped the price at least twice while I was watching it.

Glad to see it went to an enthusiast on this forum. Post some pictures when you get it.

BTW, welcome to the L-body truck club!!!!
post #330 of 557 Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Dodge Rampage

Thanks for the welcome. I don't mind saying what I paid for it. I paid $5250, but only because of what it came with. Full docs from the previous owner on the resto, old car-faxes, 5 or 6 tail lights, 2 front fenders, fascia, tailgate, misc small parts, center wheel caps, new tires (I have no idea what's under the hubcaps), a bunch of other docs and reasonable shipping with no broker fees.

It's a stripper base model. It most likely was a radio delete and 13" wheel car (just a guess), although I am still trying to decode the data plate. Here's a pic of the data plate, if anyone knows some of these, pleaes let me know. I do know the following:

MWF - Cargo Box Side rails
CUC - Center console/storage
DGA - Auto Transmission
PA-1 - Silver Radiant Crystal Coat paint
H8SA - Low-back vinyl seats in Charcoal/Silver
LZH28 - Base Rampage
531 - Build date, May 31, 1984

Thanks, john
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	123951_14.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	220218  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page