Official Rampage/Scamp Thread - Page 24 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #346 of 558 Old 03-14-2017, 02:32 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1986 GLH TII
1/4: 0.000

Re: Official Rampage/Scamp Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyride View Post
Hey all, new guy John again...

Can you add the Shelby Charger lower airdam to the 84 nose, or do you have to have an 82 or 83 nose? Also, are the side skirts available somewhere? I thought maybe you can use the Shelby Charger's, but they must be short since the Rampage's wheelbase is longer. Thanks!
You can probably piece together side skirts from 2 sets from Shelby Chargers, but the factory rear skirts are almost like being made from unobtanium today...Positive Impressions makes the rear ground effects "skirts" out of fiberglass, and they are awesome...my originals were used to create the molds for the reproductions. You can find them here:

New Products

Good luck with your trucklet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 558 Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucksterGLHT View Post
You can probably piece together side skirts from 2 sets from Shelby Chargers, but the factory rear skirts are almost like being made from unobtanium today...Positive Impressions makes the rear ground effects "skirts" out of fiberglass, and they are awesome...my originals were used to create the molds for the reproductions. You can find them here:

New Products

Good luck with your trucklet!
Thanks. I think I'll keep it as is for a while and see what I fall into.

By the way, I found my 1984 Owners Manual. Rock Auto has reprints.
post #348 of 558 Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwest View Post
The leaf springs for the bed were designed to hold up to 1\2 ton (though don't try that at home!).
It can be done. Traveled about 60 miles with this load before snapping this photo of the unloading.

Question: I replaced my CV axles today because the boots were breaking down. I ordered them through rockauto and there was no core charge. I'd like to return them somewhere, because these parts are only getting rarer, but when I asked the local napa if they'd accept them they said no and that they'd just get scrapped. Does anyone know of a place to return them to so they can get re-manufactured for the next poor soul who needs em? I'm still tracking down a couple small leaks here and there. my next big project is changing out the power steering line. after that, I'm gonna degrease the engine and start checking again for leaks. Hopefully the oil leak is the pan, and not the seal that leads to the timing belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	221274  

Last edited by silenceissad; 03-16-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: can't into embedding images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #349 of 558 Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C

Wow! Guess necessity is the mother of testing the boundaries, silenceissad. You must be somewhere up north to be hauling all that firewood. Least couple of weeks were really rough on y'all. Guess you burned through enough firewood that you had to replenish. That camper shell is pretty scarce, bet it comes in handy in inclimate weather. Don't know what kind of wood it was, but I'll bet it was, but hardwoods up north tend to be a lot heavier. Carried back some cross sections from a maple tree from Minnesota all the way back to Texas. Man, those were some HEAVY pieces of wood. Turned them into end tables.
post #350 of 558 Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Sorry, but don't know anywhere that would take the CV axles for cores. Give you good points for your effort recycle these parts.
post #351 of 558 Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
TD New Guy

At the risk of someone stealing this out from under me: does anyone know if this is for sure a fit for the rear window? TSW900S C.R. Laurence - Duo-Vent Four Panel Slider | eBay
I'd really like to get a sliding window put in, but this doesn't quite seem like the same glass I've seen in the aftermarket rampages. Just wanna make sure before I put down that kinda money that it's actually gonna fit in there.

Also, if I remember right that image was done in late summer and that was ponderosa wood. I was helping the old man take some extra wood down from the mountains to his place. Lotta hills, but honestly the little pickup did great. I had to go pretty slow up a couple, but I'm pretty sure even unloaded it woulda been really slow going. I bought the little thing specifically for being a cheap econobox that I could throw things in the back of that I wouldn't want to in my SUV. I've since fallen in love with it tho, so I've been slowly sinking more and more money into in an effort to make it the best vehicle I own. Heading to the alignment shop to dial in what I messed up when I exchanged those axles. Gonna see if they wouldn't mind installing my power steering line, or at least redoing the seal on the transmission case plate (I was in a dirt lot, and it was getting dark and windy by the time I coulda knocked it out myself).
post #352 of 558 Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenceissad View Post
At the risk of someone stealing this out from under me: does anyone know if this is for sure a fit for the rear window? TSW900S C.R. Laurence - Duo-Vent Four Panel Slider | eBay
I'd really like to get a sliding window put in, but this doesn't quite seem like the same glass I've seen in the aftermarket rampages. Just wanna make sure before I put down that kinda money that it's actually gonna fit in there.

Also, if I remember right that image was done in late summer and that was ponderosa wood. I was helping the old man take some extra wood down from the mountains to his place. Lotta hills, but honestly the little pickup did great. I had to go pretty slow up a couple, but I'm pretty sure even unloaded it woulda been really slow going. I bought the little thing specifically for being a cheap econobox that I could throw things in the back of that I wouldn't want to in my SUV. I've since fallen in love with it tho, so I've been slowly sinking more and more money into in an effort to make it the best vehicle I own. Heading to the alignment shop to dial in what I messed up when I exchanged those axles. Gonna see if they wouldn't mind installing my power steering line, or at least redoing the seal on the transmission case plate (I was in a dirt lot, and it was getting dark and windy by the time I coulda knocked it out myself).
I doubt that window will fit. They are listing it for stuff that doesn't even have a rear slider(like a Ramcharger). So I wouldn't buy it.

No harm in using that little truck for what is was designed for. I still haul stuff in the back of mine when the need arises. Shoot, back in college when it was my only vehicle, it hauled about 800 lb of science equipment to the Florida Keys for a college class I was taking...
post #353 of 558 Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1986 GLHS 127
1/4: 25.000

I am all scamps and rampages , well I have a rampage , scamp GT is gone ....
ill keep an eye on this thread , FYI I am looking for REAR BUMPER
JONNY IN WV is not helping too much
so far three months and nothing
post #354 of 558 Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM
TD New Guy

Alright, alignment done and I scheduled a transmission shop to redo my case seal tomorrow. stopped in to turn in my old transmission oil and they remarked there was metal flakes in it. hopefully it's nothing terrible, but I'm willing to start bet with my luck I'm about to be told some bad news. On that note, I've heard a lot of people recommending to use a different transmission with an adapter to make the old linkage work. What would that be, what would does it come outta, how hard are they to get, and how hard are they to install? Wouldn't mind getting some peace of mind if I have to do something expensive with this transmission.

Also took my truck to the car wash and got a free shower outta the deal. really wish I could find replacement window seals.
post #355 of 558 Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Level 2 Supporter

Hey toothless25, PM me when you get a chance. One of the things on my to do list is to take the rear bumper off my Rampage.
post #356 of 558 Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Level 2 Supporter

silenceissad, I have a sliding rear window on my Rampage, but it was already installed when I bought it. I have a foggy memory of discussing this with 83scamp about a year ago when i posted some pics. It looked aftermarket, but I think he told me that the sliding rear window was a dealer option.

I can tell you for sure that ANY glass for the Rampage and Scamp is extremely difficult to find. eBay has some posts that have been on there for a windshield with outrageous pricing, and shipping. Do your absolute best not to break any of it, and don't get a Safelite, regardless if they tell you they can get one.

Here is a picture of mine, so you can see what it looks like. And NO, it's not for sale at any price!

https://goo.gl/photos/eocNrmoQ9Leh2mfG9
post #357 of 558 Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM
TD New Guy

[QUOTE=Wildwest;4328058]I have a sliding rear window on my Rampage, but it was already installed when I bought it. I have a foggy memory of discussing this with 83scamp about a year ago when i posted some pics. It looked aftermarket, but I think he told me that the sliding rear window was a dealer option.

I spoke with the local Mopar shop in town, and they claim there was only one option for the window (which they of course, don't have any of) and that was the solid window. I asked if maybe it was a direct connection part, and he laughed and said direct connection is mopar, and it would be on his system if they did. I was there checking to see if they had any window seals in storage.

Took my truck in to get the alignment done, and then to another shop to get the transmission seal redone. They called me back today telling me they looked into a couple other leaks around the engine, and said the pan, the outer crank seal, and one other seal were leaking oil, my radiator hose was swelling from the oil, and would cost me 2000 for them to reseal them. My engine has about 187k on, and now I'm wondering if I should just take this time to upgrade my transmission to the a550 and my engine to a reman'd 2.5. Even if I don't, I'm pretty sure it'd be cheaper for me to get a re-manufactured 2.2 instead of paying that much to reseal something that's getting tired.
post #358 of 558 Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:

I spoke with the local Mopar shop in town, and they claim there was only one option for the window (which they of course, don't have any of) and that was the solid window. I asked if maybe it was a direct connection part, and he laughed and said direct connection is mopar, and it would be on his system if they did. I was there checking to see if they had any window seals in storage.

Took my truck in to get the alignment done, and then to another shop to get the transmission seal redone. They called me back today telling me they looked into a couple other leaks around the engine, and said the pan, the outer crank seal, and one other seal were leaking oil, my radiator hose was swelling from the oil, and would cost me 2000 for them to reseal them. My engine has about 187k on, and now I'm wondering if I should just take this time to upgrade my transmission to the a550 and my engine to a reman'd 2.5. Even if I don't, I'm pretty sure it'd be cheaper for me to get a re-manufactured 2.2 instead of paying that much to reseal something that's getting tired.

Wow, somebody saw you coming... A front crank seal is $3, the rear $7, and the oil pan gasket is $8, all on Rock Auto. About 3-4 hours work to replace all but the rear crank seal, add another 4-6 hours to pull the trans for that one. $2K??? Ain't no way...
post #359 of 558 Old 03-22-2017, 12:41 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
Wow, somebody saw you coming... A front crank seal is $3, the rear $7, and the oil pan gasket is $8, all on Rock Auto. About 3-4 hours work to replace all but the rear crank seal, add another 4-6 hours to pull the trans for that one. $2K??? Ain't no way...
I know that price is super inflated just from the fact that I've already replaced that front crank seal, and I have the shop manual and it states just to use RTV for the oil pan. I love rock auto, but I don't have a place to do the work, much less trust myself to redo the seals. I'm learning how to wrench with this pickup (that's actually why I bought it in the first place), but since my SUV is in another state, I can't necessarily risk messing something up major with my now Daily driver. If I had a clean shop to do the work in, I'd gladly get my hands dirty, but the point remains that my engine is up there in mileage, and that seal has been done in the last two years. I'm ready to make peace with the fact my engine isn't 87k like I dreamed it to be. 187k is just a bit too high. I'm now just kinda looking at the bigger picture at the moment.

About to take a ride on my bike as everyone keeps telling me there's a mint rampage that's been sitting for eons in a car lot. I'm bored and curious so I'll take a peak, and post back if it's anything to get excited about.
post #360 of 558 Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
I know that price is super inflated just from the fact that I've already replaced that front crank seal, and I have the shop manual and it states just to use RTV for the oil pan. I love rock auto, but I don't have a place to do the work, much less trust myself to redo the seals. I'm learning how to wrench with this pickup (that's actually why I bought it in the first place), but since my SUV is in another state, I can't necessarily risk messing something up major with my now Daily driver. If I had a clean shop to do the work in, I'd gladly get my hands dirty, but the point remains that my engine is up there in mileage, and that seal has been done in the last two years. I'm ready to make peace with the fact my engine isn't 87k like I dreamed it to be. 187k is just a bit too high. I'm now just kinda looking at the bigger picture at the moment.

About to take a ride on my bike as everyone keeps telling me there's a mint rampage that's been sitting for eons in a car lot. I'm bored and curious so I'll take a peak, and post back if it's anything to get excited about.
These are actually tough little motors, unless you see signs that it's burning a lot of oil, don't be afraid of the mileage. My Scamp & my Daytona are both over 150K+. My old DD is now with my son, and it's over 184K. I don't fear mileage, I see it as a badge of honor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page