Official Rampage/Scamp Thread - Page 27 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Exterior Restoration, or topics about the exterior

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #391 of 558 Old 06-21-2017, 03:08 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 83 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5 153cc
1/4: 0.000

Garage
Re: Official Rampage/Scamp Thread

I could use a huge favor. I'm a bit lost... Probably because I am having a hard time telling what all was swapped over from the Aries with the engine. My gauge cluster isn't exactly like any of the options listed in the service manual. But it has the pins for three connectors. Yet my harness only seems to have two. I just put the dash and everything back inside today, so I could have possibly missed a connector. I still tried pulling the HVAC controls and following the wires, yet nothing. My cluster has three parts, the tac/fuel, speedo/odo, voltage/oil/one other. I have the round indexed plug in the center and the long blue row on the right, but there is a row just behind the tach that I need to figure out. I'll try to post more pictures if need be. I bought the car with the dash already half disassembled, so it's not like I can recall if there ever was one.

The board:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 558 Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Henderson View Post
I could use a huge favor. I'm a bit lost... Probably because I am having a hard time telling what all was swapped over from the Aries with the engine. My gauge cluster isn't exactly like any of the options listed in the service manual. But it has the pins for three connectors. Yet my harness only seems to have two. I just put the dash and everything back inside today, so I could have possibly missed a connector. I still tried pulling the HVAC controls and following the wires, yet nothing. My cluster has three parts, the tac/fuel, speedo/odo, voltage/oil/one other. I have the round indexed plug in the center and the long blue row on the right, but there is a row just behind the tach that I need to figure out. I'll try to post more pictures if need be. I bought the car with the dash already half disassembled, so it's not like I can recall if there ever was one.

The board:

Wes, I went back in your posts looking, but didn't find it. I'm assuming your Rampage is an 84? With the round connector it has to be. Unfortunately, work blocks any "online storage", so I can't see your picture until I get home tonight... The 82-83 dash used two rectangular connectors. I know on the older dashes, there were two identical looking rectangular plugs, and a 3 prong plug with one end pointed for the tach. Not sure on the 84 stuff, because Chrysler changed a bunch of the wiring in 84.
post #393 of 558 Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

It's actually an 83. But I don't think the gauges are original. Perhaps they are from the 86 Aries the engine came out of? It's the three connectors that are confusing me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 558 Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
It's actually an 83. But I don't think the gauges are original. Perhaps they are from the 86 Aries the engine came out of? It's the three connectors that are confusing me.
Yikes!

OK, that means somebody has re-wired the truck. So hard telling what you have. I'll look at the picture this evening when I get home and see if I can help.
post #395 of 558 Old 06-22-2017, 03:09 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

The first axle nut damn near killed me with frustration. I broke a 3/4 breaker bar and used 900ft/lbs of torque trying to remove it before I resorted to drilling the edges and then chiseling it open. Without damaging the threads on the axle. :)

Then stripped and painted the knuckles. I like pretty, non-oxidizing parts.

post #396 of 558 Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
Wes, I got a chance to look at the picture. It's definitely not an L-body cluster, but I'm not sure what it is. I only have 83 & 89 FSM's. I'll look through them to see if it matches anything, but it could be another year, and something not shown in my manuals...
post #397 of 558 Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
Wes, I got a chance to look at the picture. It's definitely not an L-body cluster, but I'm not sure what it is. I only have 83 & 89 FSM's. I'll look through them to see if it matches anything, but it could be another year, and something not shown in my manuals...
I appreciate you taking the time to look. I haven't been able to figure it out either, but many of the wires are similar to the fsm as are the connections to some extent, making me believe it's athe least closely related. I just wish I knew what I'm losing from that connector. I may have to map the board :'( then build my own plug and run wires.

I'm surprised anyone else is awake this late. I'm just finishing my last bit of paint for the last parts to go on tomorrow. She should be driving tomorrow evening (relative to me not sleeping yet) or Friday.
post #398 of 558 Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Level 1 Supporter

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time to look. I haven't been able to figure it out either, but many of the wires are similar to the fsm as are the connections to some extent, making me believe it's athe least closely related. I just wish I knew what I'm losing from that connector. I may have to map the board :'( then build my own plug and run wires.

I'm surprised anyone else is awake this late. I'm just finishing my last bit of paint for the last parts to go on tomorrow. She should be driving tomorrow evening (relative to me not sleeping yet) or Friday.

Still awake??? Shoot I had just gotten up to go to work. I usually check for overnight posts while I'm eating breakfast in the morning...

I did look at the electrical diagrams in my 83 FSM, and it didn't match any K-derived clusters for 83. I didn't have time to look in my 89 FSM.

The stock 83 L-body used two rectangular connectors, one was a 10 pin, the other 6 I believe, plus the 3 pin for the tach. Both the standard cluster and rallye cluster use the same connectors, BUT, the pin-out is COMPLETELY different... Ask me how I know...

I converted my Scamp from a base cluster to a rallye cluster, and I had to re-pin both connectors... Nothing matches up...

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #399 of 558 Old 06-22-2017, 12:44 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo

Garage

Wes, I think your gauge cluster is for a later L body, like an 88 or 89 Omni/Horizon. Here is a picture of the 90 cluster back. If you notice, the contour of the board, the light locations, and the space for the tach and speedo match up with yours. I can't find an image for the SMEC era L body boards, but I strongly suspect that's what you have.

*Note: Image grabbed off this forum
post #400 of 558 Old 06-23-2017, 02:22 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilcowRoland View Post
Wes, I think your gauge cluster is for a later L body, like an 88 or 89 Omni/Horizon. Here is a picture of the 90 cluster back. If you notice, the contour of the board, the light locations, and the space for the tach and speedo match up with yours. I can't find an image for the SMEC era L body boards, but I strongly suspect that's what you have.

*Note: Image grabbed off this forum

After searching a combination of the years and models, 89 horizon gauges showed a couple identical to my cluster. I wouldn't mind swapping to a different cluster if it meant being able to see what's important. I saw an oldschool digital one someone swapped that I would love to figure out.

Random issue... my radio blinks after reinstalling the dash. Anyone able to speculate as to why? The fsm doesn't cover that under troubleshooting.

I've got the engine bay all put back together! I hate that I can't run the car until the rtv for the valve cover gasket cures though... -__-

Most of these are before I washed the grime out of the engine bay, reconnected some final thing and touched up final details as well.

Pcv breather, egr block off plate and other miscellaneous things.

Pain in the butt pre heater pipe... Pain to get on, pain tof stretch without tearing, and a pain to fit around everything else without crushing it. Also mounted the coil up on the fender with foam wrapped around it to dampen vibration.

post #401 of 558 Old 06-23-2017, 12:08 PM
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo

Garage

There have been a couple of people that have swapped 87-89 Daytona/LeBaron digital clusters into L bodies. You have to do some custom mounting, but those clusters just get the same basic inputs as the analog cluster. If you find one, get the pigtails with it and enough extra wire so you can splice it into your harness. The wiring schematics are all online (and in this forum).
post #402 of 558 Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 PM
TD New Guy

Garage

Okay, so it's running. And quite well except I feel like the engine is getting excessively hot. All the hoses are new, new water pump, new radiator fan, newer radiator (installed by PO), new thermostat, the works. I'm not quite sure what's causing it to heat up so much. The only thing I can think of is if the radiator is clogged, don't think it's likely though. OR the exhaust is backed up? The temp gauge appears to be working, and it stays at a reasonable reading (for the rather short trips around the block I've made) but it all gets very hot. The intake manifold, the valve cover, all of it could burn me if I touched it. I'd rather not damage another head after I just rebuild everything except the block. Do the 2.2's and 2.5's just get that hot? I feel like something is wrong.

Also, the "Power Loss" is illuminated for whatever reason. Kind of hard to troubleshoot when I don't have the right manual for whatever electrical.

I'm frustrated.

UPDATE: I had some air in the pump I believe that was preventing it from pushing the coolant properly. It seems "better" but the top end still gets pretty hot. Should I be able to see engine oil steam if I open the oil cap after only running it for five to ten minutes? I'm still not certain that there isn't an exhaust restriction.

"Power Loss" is still present.

Sometimes when I turn the key to crank it just sounds like something is spinning, like the sound a cordless drill makes but faster. Other times it cranks properly and then shortly goes back to that sound. If I barely push the gas though, it tends to start right up. Starter? Solenoid for the starter?

Upon starting it bounces the idle a bit before leveling out. I would check the IAC, but it didn't used to do that before the rebuild.

Lastly, there was this crazy contraption of failed engineering on the vacuum lines. About four "T" fittings and six different sizes of lines, from 5/8 to 1/4. Long story short, It's hard to tell what lines from the throttle body and intake manifold go where. It's 2.5L from an 86 Dodge aries (so was written on the engine itself) but I don't know how much I believe the year. The O2 sensor from the exhaust manifold is from an 88 or 89. And a few other miscellaneous parts are different. I need to try and find a vacuum diagram for the engine.

ANY and ALL help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Wes Henderson; 06-24-2017 at 02:50 AM.
post #403 of 558 Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

So I did some reading, on here actually, I found the fault codes and the website that explains them at: Fault Codes - Mini-Mopar Resources

Turns out I forgot to put the MAP sensor back in... *FACE PALM* But I am still getting a code 12 and 13. I'm not sure which vacuum connection the MAP is supposed to be attached to, but that may be causing my code 13. The code 12 may just be since I have had the battery disconnected so many times.

I wish my FSM showed 2.2's that had TBI top ends. That would help since the 2.5 is similar enough.

UPDATE: error code 31 came back. I removed the fuel vapor system and egr so I need to devise how to fool the ECU. I know it reads a 12V open and 0V closed. Should be able to make it think that it's working properly. I'll update as I go, but it may have to wait until my return stateside.

Last edited by Wes Henderson; 06-24-2017 at 02:37 AM.
post #404 of 558 Old 06-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C

Wes, I wish you a safe tour of duty. Let us know when you get back. You did a LOT of work in short order while juggling family and other things.

I can't help you with the engine you have. My Rampage has the stock 2.2L non-common block, but with a lot of mods to it. I couldn't help noticing in one of your pictures that the windshield wiper arms were all apart. Good news is that the nylon bushings are readily available to fix that. I had issues with my wipers working intermittently, and learned that the ground wire for the motor was faulty. Just run a wire strap or just a decent wire from the motor to a solid ground and that should take care of the wipers.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.
post #405 of 558 Old 06-25-2017, 12:34 AM
TD New Guy

Garage

Wildwest, yes I have already replaced, greased and fixed the wipers. :) Kind of important here in Washington. Thank you though. I'll list all the work I've done so far:

1983 dodge rampage with a 1986 dodge aries 2.5 and mystery electrical harness(es)

Rebuilt head
Mopar performance head gasket
All new top end gaskets and seals
Thermostat
Thermostat housing
Water pump
Radiator and push fan
Every coolant line
Vapor canister delete
EGR delete with block off plates
A/C delete and housing changes
Preheater hose
Every vacuum line
Every line/hose clamp
Every brake hose
Rebuilt calipers
Rotors and pads
Wheel bearings
LCA bushings
Ball joints
Rebuilt HVAC housing
All new WW lines and nozzles
New fuses and fuse panel relays
Reconditioned gauges PCBS
Amber gauge led bulbs
All amber interior bulbs
Some spot rust restoration
Coolant flush
Brake bleed
Oil and filter
Air filter
Ignition cylinder
Door lock cylinders
Door lock alignment
Driver window bushing and alignment

Changes to come in the far future:
RWD conversion
Beefy subframe
4BT Cummins Diesel swap
Fab bench seat
Chop roof ~4"
Custom built front end (grille, headlights, turn signals etc)
Gas tank expansion
Front and rear concealed winch

Points of interest:
Upon my return stateside I'll be acquiring a 3D printer. I have one in-tact rear window trim clip. I'll replicate them and offer them to anyone interested. As well as any other hard to come by trim pieces like the door window slide bushings.
I'll also be working with EPDMs to remake our window and door seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page